Author Topic: My first "real" homemake pizza!  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Thumper

My first "real" homemake pizza!
« on: April 11, 2010, 09:06:59 PM »
Hi all,
First a big thanks to all who post here to help us newbie with our pizza baking attempts. Special thanks to Pete-zza for all of his wonderful hints and especially the Kitchen Aid mixer post.

I made my first pizza tonight using information that I got from this forum. I make New York style using the Lehmaan's dough recipe in a KA mixer while following Pete-zza's instructions. I used KA bread flour, oil, and salt. I made four dough balls on Thursday night and used them tonight (Sunday). I didn't do a good job pinching the bottom when I balled them and I need a scale to read in .1 grams or find the volume measurements for the small amount of yeast. I took the dough balls out 4 hours prior to use to warm to room temp. I had trouble getting a round circle as you can see from the pics. The dough was a little elastic and wanted to pull back some, but it wasn't too bad. I was actually able to pick it up and not toss it, but stretch it some with my fists, but I had better luck just holding one edge and letting its weight stretch it. I did achieve window panes.

The first one was with my homemade sauce of San Maranzo tomatoes, and a pizza seasoning blend that I found in the wife spice rack. I was planning to just use oregano, but we were out of it. I should have checked, but the the whole family liked the sauce. I also used a little salt and a pinch of sugar to taste. I used 20 slices of everyday Hormel pepperoni, 6 ounces of low moisture mozzarella cheese that I shredded with a salad shooter (I couldn't find whole milk mozzarella), and two ounces of shredded provolone cheese. It was perfect in shape but the taste was great!

The second one was made using canned (wait for it) chef boy-r-dee sauce, 20 slices of pepperoni, the same amount and kind of cheese and 4 ounces of hot Italian sausage. It was good, but not as good as the first one. The sausage was kind of greasy.

The third one was back to my own sauce, same cheese, and 24 slices of pepperoni.

The fourth one was my sauce, same cheese, and 4 ounces of sausage.

I cooked these in an electric oven @ 550 degrees (preheated for an hour) on a 14X16 cordierite stone. The stone was 580 degrees when I put the first pie on it. I opened my dough on a wooden cutting board dusted with a 50-50 mixture of bread flour and semolina four, then transferred the skin to a 12 dusted pizza peel, added the ingredients, and transferred the pie to the stone. I had no problems in this area at all. :) I was apprehensive about this part and I have read a lot of horror stories about the pie sticking to the peel, but they all slid right off as planned. I cooked the first one for 6 minutes. The rest of them each took a little longer, with the last one taking 7.5 minutes. I assume that my oven temp was dropping due to opening the door to put in and take out the pies. Over all this was a great experience and the pies tasted wonderful. The teenager ( 15 year old male) wants a better quality pepperoni. My wife and I were taken back to when we lived in New Jersey, and the 4 year old boy just eats pizza of all kinds! I had good oven spring, the crust was crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. We can't buy pizza this good where we live, so this is fantastic.

I need to make some more dough balls, so I can practice opening them up in a better circle.

I will attempt to add the photos now. Thanks for reading.   

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: My first "real" homemake pizza!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:38:23 PM »
First off, welcome and nice pies for a first attempt.  Looks better than my first few pizzas.   :-D  I'm glad you kept detailed notes and posted pictures as well.  I wish more people would do that.    Anyways good job!

Offline Thumper

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:24:18 AM »
Thanks Tranman,
I have a couple of things to work on besides the shape of my pizzas. I got the crust a little thin in the middle, so I think I need to leave it a little thinner there. I also didn't think to drain my tomatoes before I ran them thru the blender, so the sauce was a little watery.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:14:35 AM »
Thumper,

I agree with Tran. You are off to a good start. I think that it is more important at this juncture to make a highly edible pizza than to make a perfectly shaped inedible one. The shaping and stretching parts will get better with practice and experience.

Was this the post you mentioned that you used to make your pizzas: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.msg19563/topicseen.html#msg19563?

There is no need to get a scale that can measure to 0.1 grams accuracy. All of the dough calculating tools on the forum (at http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_tools.html) do weight-to-volume conversions for ingredients like yeast, salt, sugar, oil, etc. I personally use those conversions and recommend that others do likewise. They are quite accurate.

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 10:24:56 AM »
For some strange reason I was a little intimidated by the idea of using the dough calculating tool at first but once I got past that it couldn't be easier. Thanks for reminding everyone about that Pete.

Offline Thumper

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
Thumper,

I agree with Tran. You are off to a good start. I think that it is more important at this juncture to make a highly edible pizza than to make a perfectly shaped inedible one. The shaping and stretching parts will get better with practice and experience.

There is no need to get a scale that can measure to 0.1 grams accuracy. All of the dough calculating tools on the forum do weight-to-volume conversions for ingredients like yeast, salt, sugar, oil, etc. I personally use those conversions and recommend that others do likewise. They are quite accurate.

Peter

Peter,
I agree that I am more concerned with the taste as opposed to the shape. I am ready to practice some more! I have read some of the post that you mentioned above and will read it entirely, I spent more time in your Kitchen Aid mixer thread this time. I am unable to post a hyperlink at this time. I am about 3/4 of the way thru reading that one currently.

I did use the Lehmaan dough calculator, and reverted back the the volume conversion when I learned how hard it was to obtain 1 gram of yeast. My amount was in between volume measurements so I just got as close as I could. I will have to get the recpie from home and post it for you. I was extremely pleased with the crust so it work out great.

I really appreciate all that you do on this forum, and as I gain experience I hope to pay back someone else with advise.

Thanks,
Stan

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 04:33:04 PM »

My wife and I were taken back to when we lived in New Jersey, and the 4 year old boy just eats pizza of all kinds! I had good oven spring, the crust was crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. We can't buy pizza this good where we live, so this is fantastic.

This is what it is all about.

Well done.

Randy
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:34:46 PM by Randy »

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 05:24:14 PM »
If you use a screen at first, you can arrange a badly tossed pizza so it looks like a circle. You make it look nice on the screen, put the screen and pizza on your stone, and then pull the screen out after a few minutes, leaving the pizza to finish baking. Nice circle every time.

Looking at your pizza makes me wonder...are the circle, square, and rectangle everything we need to use? Unlike some people, I like the outer crust of a pizza, so the circle, which minimizes the amount of crust, may not be the best shape for me.

Man, this is giving me ideas. If I could make a pan for it, a Sicilian in the shape of the Red Cross logo would be great. Lots of crust.

Offline Thumper

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 07:48:39 AM »
Puzzolento, that is an intresting idea. I don't have a screen yet, but have been complenting getting one. I wonder if one could shape it on the screen, and then flip it over onto a peel to dress, and then transfer to the stone? I do have a perforated pan that I may try to use for shaping or I may just keep practicing hand shaping. Thanks.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 08:34:21 AM »
For New York style pizza, I have found that baking for 4 minutes on a screen and then moving to the stone gives perfect results every time. Much more reliable than a screen alone, and much less risky than sliding raw pies onto a stone. With that information in hand, I don't have any reason to take the pizza off the screen before putting it in the oven. Nonetheless, I think your way would work fine.