Author Topic: WalMart GreatValue cheese  (Read 4192 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
WalMart GreatValue cheese
« on: March 18, 2005, 05:19:11 PM »
Anybody try Wally World GreatValue cheese.  It looks just like Poly-O.
I have been pleased with their store brand on other products.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: WalMart GreatValue cheese
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 05:26:06 PM »
Never tried their cheese, but their pretzels ( GreatValue brand ) are amazing.

I swear they are Rolds Gold !, I've had many no-name pretzels and none come close to staying fresh
like Rolds Gold............. except for Walmart's Great Value brand.....something tells me they ARE Rolds Gold !  ;D

Edit: I should clarify : I am talking about staying fresh, once the package is opened..... the Walmart brand stay fresh 10x longer than do
any other brand of pretzel ( except Rolds Gold )

;D

Yeah they have some good stuff, Walmart brand is good.

Wanna die and go to heaven ? .... pick up some hickory smoked almonds at Walmart ( Great Value brand ) .... oh my God, they are
that good !
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 05:28:53 PM by canadianbacon »
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 07:20:09 PM »
Randy,

Yesterday I found the Great Value mozzarella cheese at WalMart. It is a block of processed whole-milk mozzarealla cheese, the first whole-milk mozzarella cheese that I have been able to locate at any of the major supermarkets/foodstores around where I live outside of Dallas. I tried the cheese today and thought it was an inferior product. It grated poorly (into soft little shreds that fell apart), had a funny taste and a mealy texture, and browned too quickly on the pizza.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 10:00:35 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 07:49:41 PM »
Pete, I opened my package tonight too and found the same off smell.  I went back to Poly-O.

Randy

Offline LowRent

• 'za apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 09:44:16 AM »
I kept trying to use it.  Cracked 2 stones in the process.  It got very watery, and always wound up on the stone before everything was cooked.  Can't tell you how many times the smoke alarm went off.

I liked the flavor, OK, but the only others I've used are Sargento Moz & Moz/Prov combos.  So, I don't have much to compare to.  I hate the GV shreaded.

I was wondering if the GV Moz might not be better if I let it sit in the frig for a while so that it loses some of its moisture.  But, from comments here, it looks like there are better alternatives to begin with.  So, why bother.

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 12:19:28 PM »
the first whole-milk mozzarella cheese that I have been able to locate at any of the major supermarkets/foodstores around where I live outside of Dallas.
Peter

Really?  Wow, that's too bad.  Around here (NE Pennsylvania, certainly not a major market) I can easily get a half dozen different whole-milk mozz's.  Maybe more.  In fact, I just bought one I've never tried before (Frigo, 1 lb. block) because it was on sale ($3.69, normally $4.89).  My favorite is Cappiello which is a wonderful, full-flavored cheese.  It's expensive though, it runs me $5.99 a pound at the local Wegman's.

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 12:44:30 PM »
Guy,

When I want real mozzarella I go into Dallas to the Mozzarella Company and I buy several packages at a time, the bulk of which I freeze for later use. It's a great mozzarella but it is very expensive, close to $14 a pound. I can also get bufala di mozzarella, but only at one or two of the high end places in Dallas, and also at a high price. When I go north to Massachusetts, I can find the whole-milk mozzarella in the supermarkets there so I buy and freeze several packages for the return trip to Texas.

Whenever I go to a supermarket I haven't been to before, the first thing I do is head to the cheese section and the canned tomatoes section. Almost always, I leave disappointed.

Peter

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 01:31:33 PM »
$14 is very high.  When I'm trying a new ingredient, I judge it by 2 factors:  1)  Is it good?  and 2)  If I had a pizzeria, could I afford to use it?  Of course the latter is probably just a pipe-dream....but one I think we all share...

Anyone have an idea of how much much less a good mozz would cost if bought in food service quantities?

---Guy

P.S. Right now I'm eating the pizza I made with the Frigo cheese, it's only just OK.  I probably won't buy it again.
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

pizzapan