Author Topic: First ever pie - Help please!!! (pics included)  (Read 1487 times)

Offline --b--

First ever pie - Help please!!! (pics included)
« on: April 19, 2010, 08:49:59 PM »
Hi guys

Well ive jumped in at the deep end and made my forst ever pie on the weekend. Overall i was quite happy with the results however i certain i have huge improvements still to go. This was my first time using a pizza stone and that side of things worked a treat. no sticking or anything so i was pleased with that.

i used Petes recipe for Tom Lehmans NY style pizza. (i found it in the thread where Pete has nicely set out the ingredients for various size pizzas - i cant seem to find it now?). I used the recipe for 2 x 12" pizzas and followed the instructions to the letter. The only issue i had was getting the right flour. here in australia its a challenge finding the right stuff - i had to resort to using 11.9% protein flour so that may have caused a few problems. Is there a way i can fix this using 'bread improver' or something?

the dough felt fine after having rested on the counter to warm to room temp. i didnt have any real problems getting it stretched out either so i was happy with the dough itself as far as texture goes.

the issues i have are:

1. While i thought the pizza looked nice enough the taste wasnt quite there. It tasted a little floury to me and the texture was a little bready.

2. I dont think i used enough sauce and cheese. it was so thin it felt and tasted like i was just eating the base (crust?) with a tiny bit of flavouring. perhaps this is why i thought it tasted floury?

3. I only used mozzarella cheese. do you guys use a combination? if so what?

4. While the top looked cooked enough to me i think the crust could have done with a little more. I see other pics on here with nice dark patches on the bottom but mine was a light brown at best

Pics are below - id really appreciate any help you can offer! it was great fun and i cant wait to make my next pie!

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: First ever pie - Help please!!! (pics included)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
Congrats!! What a nice looking 1st pie! Good work. :)

Offline --b--

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 09:20:05 PM »
Thanks Tranman, really appreciate it!

After our discussions a few days ago about quick dough making methods i decided to go for the real deal and let it ferment overnight. it was a long wait but it was worth it!

now i just need to work on perfecting the method!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 09:30:48 PM »
b,

Over the years, we have had several members from Australia, and flour was always a problem. My recollection is that some of them went to extraordinary lengths to find millers or brokers in Australia who would sell them some of the stronger flours used by professionals. Some of the members lasted longer on the forum than others but eventually they all left the forum. I suspect it was because of the difficulties they had trying to replicate a lot of the pizzas they saw on this forum.

If I could see the specs for the flour you have been using, that could provide some clues as to the problems you experienced. The specs might also suggest some possible solutions. For example, it might be possible to supplement the flour you have been using with vital wheat gluten (VWG) and dried dairy whey, on the assumption that those ingredients are available to you in Australia. You can see an example of what I have in mind by looking at Reply 205 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg15669.html#msg15669. At the time of that post, I did not have the tools that I now have available to me to do more precise calculations, but if what is described there is of interest to you, I should be able to customize a dough formulation using the newer tools to fit your situation, for any number and sizes of pizzas.

BTW, following the photos of the pizza in Reply 205 referenced above, you will see posts by a couple of our former Australian members.

Peter

Offline --b--

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:36:50 PM »
Thanks Peter, really grateful for the reply and offer of assistance.

Ill go home tonight and check the exact specs of the flour and post it up tomorrow (im at work atm lol)

All i can remember is that it was 11.9% protein and that was the best i could find. I was actually at a bulk goods store and saw quite large bags of flour but many of them had no specific breakdown of the makeup so i couldnt be sure either way whether they'd be any good.

ill go on the lookout for the extra ingredients you mentioned too. hopefully if i can find these i might be in with a chance of making a pizza as good as the ones ive seen here!

im really quite amazed that australia seems to be some kind of black hole for good flour though! i might have a sneaky word to the chef at my local pizzaria and see if he will give me a few clues! (although he is a little like the guy from the Seinfeld 'soup kitchen' episode so im a bit scared fo his reaction if i ask! LOL)

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:06:44 PM »
Thanks Tranman, really appreciate it!

After our discussions a few days ago about quick dough making methods i decided to go for the real deal and let it ferment overnight. it was a long wait but it was worth it!

now i just need to work on perfecting the method!

Like I've said before, don't get discourage, just keep at it.  Remember this as you burn pie after pie trying to perfect it.   If you are a finatic and a perfectionist like some of us, you'll be forever searching for that holy grail.  You will be more critical of your pies even others say they look nice.  It's never perfect enough and never ending.  I have settle on good enough for now (for me) :-D You will go through the same process we all go through.  Some take longer than others.  Depends on how many pies you make, but you are just starting out.  You'll have plenty of great ideas in the middle of the night.  Some wil work and some will be disasterous!  :-D  But that's all part of the fun.  Again, nice work.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 04:59:31 PM »
b,

I recalled that there is a regular poster (wa dave) over at the PMQ Think Tank who is in Currambine, Perth, Western Australia, so I searched his posts for flours that he might be using in his pizzeria. I don't know where you are in Australia but you might find this thread of value: http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1501&p=7608&hilit=#p7562.

Peter

Offline --b--

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 06:37:09 PM »
Great thanks Pete!

When i mentioned above how i saw a number of large bags without detailed specifications (at the bulk goods store) there were a couple of them made by allied mills as suggested by WA Dave. i cant recall the exact variety however it certainly seems as though theres hope for me yet.

really apreciate the help Pete. I was meaning to get the specifications of my flour for you last night however was caught up with work and study and completely forgot. Ill have a look tonight!

Cheers!

Offline TronCarter

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 08:14:48 AM »
b,
I don't see a mention of how you cooked the pie.  Did you use a stone?  preheated?  what temperature?  I'm guessing from your pics that you did use a stone, but not preheated.  I see a lot of dry flour on the bottom of the pie, which could lead to a floury taste.  If you are using that much flour to get your pizza from the peel to the stone, it is too much.  As far as sauce and cheese, you will find the amounts that you like just by experimenting.  The dry flour on the bottom is going to make the pizza taste bland because of what the dry flour does to your taste buds.

Tron