Author Topic: NYC-Which pizza places should I visit?  (Read 865 times)

Offline ieuan

NYC-Which pizza places should I visit?
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:45:45 AM »
Hi everyone. Been making pizza for awhile, and I frequently read here, but don't post.

My brother just moved to the bronx about six months ago and I'm going down for a weekend visit.

Since I'll be down there for a few days, I want to go on a pizza eating spree.  ;D

I'd like to go to four or five different places.  I want to hit up Grimaldi's and Lombardi's, but was looking for some other suggestions as well.

Thoughts?

Gather your harps from the willow trees, dust off the ancient strings. Call the bards and prophets, let them sing healing and freedom. Let light and love flow from the strings, colors of revelation.

Offline Matthew

Re: NYC-Which pizza places should I visit?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:51:02 AM »
Hi everyone. Been making pizza for awhile, and I frequently read here, but don't post.

My brother just moved to the bronx about six months ago and I'm going down for a weekend visit.

Since I'll be down there for a few days, I want to go on a pizza eating spree.  ;D

I'd like to go to four or five different places.  I want to hit up Grimaldi's and Lombardi's, but was looking for some other suggestions as well.

Thoughts?

Di Faria, Keste & Motorino for sure.

Offline dhs

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:12:42 PM »
I'd skip both Grimaldi's and Lombardi's. Most NYers, myself included, will tell you they are tourist traps living off old reputations.

Personally I don't like DiFara, but it is a pizza mecca to many and you should make up your own mind and give it a whirl (and be sure you get get a square slice/pie). DiFara's Dom DeMarco is not going to be making pies forever. Be prepared to wait and watch for a bit. It is quite a trip from the bronx though. Even further, and my favorite NYC pie, is the original Totonno's in Coney Island. You could make a day of it and visit both plus get to see Coney Island.

Patsy's in Harlem is a good one too and that would be a lot closer to the bronx. It is the only coal fired place that is selling slices still. Might be some choices on Arthur Ave (Bronx Little Italy) but I am ashamed to say I have never been up there.

Be sure to skip off shoots of Patsy's, Totonno's, DiFara's in Manhattan. BUT Motorino in the EastVillage has the rep of being as good as the original one in Williamsburg Brooklyn, so that one is ok. You could go just within Manhattan and have plenty of great pizza. Check out slice.seriouseats.com for some good pizza maps of manhattan. Be sure to get at least one 'regular' slice at a corner pizza joint too ;).

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 03:07:39 PM »
I would skip KESTE too! When I went there I couldn't eat one slice. A friend of mine went there and he complained that it was raw in the middle or uncooked. I met some people at the Restaurant Show and I heard more complaints from people I met there.  There are people that like it, I guess it all depends on individual tastes.There are people that brag about the garbage that they eat. Save your trip and $! :( ??? >:D :pizza:
Do you want NY Pizza or Neapolitan? Keste's supposed to be neapolitan but very inconsistent.
Also, stay away from pizzerias on Arthur Ave, I used to inspect buildings in that area, you won't believe the roaches that were crawling the walls in those pizzerias. Yes, I left the slices on the counter or in the oven and ran out to call the health inspectors. Some people like to eat pizzas a little crunchy.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 03:29:53 PM by ninapizza23 »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 03:45:55 PM »
There are people that brag about the garbage that they eat. Save your trip and $! :( ??? >:D :pizza:

This comment makes absolutely no sense & I hope that it is not directed at me.  Like the rest of your posts, it is based on hear say & gossip.

Matt

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 05:00:57 PM »
From my own experience there last year and what I have read from forum members when I return I will include:
Luzzo's - Supposed to be all about the crust texture and some feel the best crust in the city.
Totonno's - Original location - Supposed to be what Lombardi's used to be but ain't any more.
Motorino - The best pizza I had there last year and rated by some as the best NY has to offer right now.  I actually wanted to go back a second time but just could not arrange it.
DiFara's - Prob won't be around too much longer as prev posted and the whole experience there is just a trip.  Maybe grab a slice of the round and one of the square.  The whole pies are pretty big and the most expensive pizza I had there.
Have fun!

Offline ieuan

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 11:09:03 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the replies and suggestions. I'll check those places out. I'll most likely be going down every few weeks, so I'll have time to try different places.

Gather your harps from the willow trees, dust off the ancient strings. Call the bards and prophets, let them sing healing and freedom. Let light and love flow from the strings, colors of revelation.