Author Topic: Pizza Peel & Stone  (Read 2290 times)

Offline merw3776

Pizza Peel & Stone
« on: April 17, 2010, 06:09:36 PM »
Need advise....

I just opened a shop with an electric oven and I have a pizza stone & the peel.. What is the correct way to use them ? So my pizza comes out brown on the bottom and the cheese does not get burned. it is harder than it looks.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pizza Peel & Stone
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 07:13:20 PM »
merw3776,

Can you elaborate further on the type/brand of oven, peel and stone you have and which specific aspects of their use you would like advice on?

Peter

Offline merw3776

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 08:40:45 PM »
merw3776,

Can you elaborate further on the type/brand of oven, peel and stone you have and which specific aspects of their use you would like advice on?

Peter
The only info I have is I have a nemco oven 120volt 2 rack system The stone I have now idea what kind they are But I put them in the oven and it turned black  The question is.  How do I put the pizza on the stone after I put everything on them?????????????:chef:

Offline PizzaNick

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 08:57:29 PM »
im no pro at all, but this is the basic idea of what i go thru.  dust peel w semolina, or mix of semolina and flour.  place dough, work quickly, dress pizza, work quickly, dont over top, work quickly and slide pizza from peel onto stone in one slick motion (think like youre the guy trying to pull a table cloth off a table without wrecking the flowers and silverware haha) sliding pizza in and pulling peel from under pizza at the exact right moment.  reverse pizza-in process to remove pizza.  eat.  done. 

haha like i said, im no pro at all, but thats basically what i got thru, with a bit of weak humor thrown in for fun.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 09:20:15 PM »
merw3776,

You didn't indicate a model number for the Nemco unit but I went to the Nemco website where I saw the following information on their countertop pizza ovens: http://www.nemcofoodequip.com/Products/CountertopEquip/CountertopPizzaOvens.aspx. Oddly, I could not find anything about how pizzas are to be loaded into their ovens, such as using a peel. You would think that they would at least mention a peel or some other device and you would think that they would carry such devices as auxiliary items but I could not find any indication that they sell such devices, not even in their full 36-page online catalog. I would call Nemco at the 800 number given at their website and ask them what they recommend be used to load pizzas into their countertop ovens. Since the stones can accommodate pizzas up to 19", there would be no reason why a wooden peel can't be used, possibly (and I would think, preferably) one with a short handle. There are a ton of threads/posts on the forum on how to use a peel to dress a pizza to be loaded into an oven and onto a stone. PizzaNick's post is one such example.

Peter

scott123

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 11:02:29 PM »
This is a reasonably decent video for learning how to use a wooden pizza peel (ignore everything else!).

http://www.hulu.com/watch/49163/tylers-ultimate-ultimate-new-york-pizza

It also shows you what happens if you don't do it properly. As you get more comfortable using the peel, you'll use less flour.

Regarding achieving a brown bottom and unburned cheese, assuming your oven is similar to  the link Peter posted, you're working with fibrament baking stones.  All pizza stones have to be pre-heated sufficiently, but with fibrament, it's especially important, as it's a relatively poor conductor of heat.  I would preheat the stone for at least an hour at the highest setting the oven will go (700?).  That may end up browning/burning the bottom a little too quickly, so you might want to dial it back on ensuing attempts, but for the first time, I'd see what 700 can do.

The recipe you're using/ingredients are critical to browning as well. What recipe are you using?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 11:04:05 PM by scott123 »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 08:59:50 AM »
According to the Nemco spec sheet at http://www.nemcofoodequip.com/shared/documents/products/CountertopPizzaOvens/Specification_Sheet.pdf, the two 19" stones are Cordierite stones. However, I don't think that will materially change what scott r said. I am somewhat curious, however, why the stone you said you put in the oven turned black. I assume the stones are not new and came with the oven. If so, were pizzas formerly baked on those stones?

Peter

scott123

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 02:18:31 PM »
Actually Peter, cordierite is, indeed, mentioned in the literature, but if you look at the care & handling PDF for the stones, you'll see that, word for word, it matches the care & handling of fibrament.  It also, from the picture, has the very recognizable grayish white dull cast appearance of fibrament, rather than the yellowish kiln fired cordierite.

I'm guessing that at one point this oven might have been sold with cordierite stones. After switching to fibrament, they probably failed to remove all the cordierite references in the literature. That's one theory.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 02:56:30 PM »
scott123,

From http://www.calibex.com/fibrament-baking-stone/zzcalibex2zB1z0--search-html, it looks like you and also scott r may well be right. I wonder whether the FibraMent stone is a replacement stone only.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 01:12:16 PM »
To satisfy my curiosity, today I called Nemco and spoke to a salesman familiar with the Nemco countertop pizza ovens. I was told that they do not sell pizza peels but a pizza peel would be the most common device for loading pizzas into their ovens. He said that it would be possible to make 18" pizzas in the oven (the stone is 19" x 19" x 1/2") but that it would take some skill to load pizzas that size into their oven. The 16" size and below would be more common. I was also told that pans and pizza screens can also be used in their ovens.

When I asked what material was used for their stones, he said Cordierite. When I asked whether they used FibraMent stones at all, either original or replacement, he said he was not familiar with that product or that someone might be offering replacement FibraMent stones (I had mentioned that instawares.com appeared to be selling a FibraMent stone for the Nemco oven). For those who are interested, a replacement stone for the Nemco countertop pizza ovens is $126, although I was told that was the manufacturer's suggested retail price and that the stones can be purchased from others at discounted prices.

Peter

Offline sear

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »
wow 110v for a 700 degree oven... notice the preheat time to 500 @ 110v is 60 minutes .. 220v its 15

any idea how much  one of those little ovens go for ?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 02:28:17 PM »
wow 110v for a 700 degree oven... notice the preheat time to 500 @ 110v is 60 minutes .. 220v its 15

any idea how much  one of those little ovens go for ?

When I spoke with the Nemco rep this morning he suggested that one get the 220-volt model because the oven heats up faster and recovers faster. The latter can be important if a lot of pizzas are to be baked in succession.

The current models of the Nemco countertop pizza ovens can be seen at their website. A Google or eBay search should turn up some typical prices. The prices I saw for new units wer around $1100-$1200.

Peter

Offline Annie

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 08:34:07 AM »
Oh MERW3776 - I so feel your pain! 

I'm experiencing the same here, only we haven't opened yet!

I just joined this 'life saving' forum today and it seems that Semolina and Speed (not the drug!) are the keys to getting pizzas in and out of the oven. 

Regarding the burning on the bottom - uncooked at the top, I'm just a novice with pizza ovens (but have been cooking for my family for 20 yrs), but I wonder if the temperature of your oven is too high? 

Good luck! 

pizzapan