Author Topic: Advice...  (Read 1182 times)

Offline gaspipe

• I Love Pizza!
Advice...
« on: April 23, 2010, 08:26:06 PM »
we love pizza and make good pizza. our question is possible to have a place (take-out only to start) Wednesday - Saturday 3pm -till close ....and make it? i dont need to make make alot money as both wife and i have solid day jobs.....we both just love pizza and are wondering if it is possible to have a pizza place as a "second" job....great deals on leases/equipment now ...just wondering if its time to pull the trigger...

anyone have experience in this?

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
Re: Advice...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 11:01:29 AM »

So you want to do this as a hobby business? That is how some great restaurants have started, So It is very possible,

but you need to figure out how many pizza's you will need to sell to make your lease, insurance, utilities and all the others cash output required when operating in the foodservice industry.

If you have never worked in a restaurant situation, I feel you may be overlooking a few key things required to be able to run a business this way. Typically restaurant ownership where the chef is the owner wholly consumes a persons life for at least the first year in business, and sometimes for the rest of their life.

My suggestion would be to either work at a pizza place first to decide if this is something you will be able to do, and/or take a serv-safe course to see if this is still something you want to do after the class.

There is alot involved in restaurant work that I feel you just have not realized yet.

Then when you get past that, you need to do cashflow projections to see if this pizza shop would even cover the cost of opening it.

I am not trying to be rude or pee in your wheaties, I just don;t think you realize how much responsibility restaurant operations require and I would hate to see anyone spend all that money only to find out they will never be able to show a profit.

Thank of it this way, for every $1.00 that you put in the cash register, you may get to call 4-7 cents of that as your profit, now imagine how many dollars will be needed to support yourself and your family.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Re: Advice...
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 05:28:16 PM »
if you only need to break even (to begin with) then it should not take too much but there will be a lot of stress and nobody wants to work for nothing.

not sure about take out only, depends very much on where you are... if this isgoing to be acceptable.  for example many places that have no seating also do delivery.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 05:32:34 PM by pcampbell »
Patrick