I grew up eating this stuff. People either LOVE it (locals esp) or leave it. I love it myself.
For past posters, you cannot compare this pizza to NY/Chicago/etc style pizzas. They are too different.
I know you NYers love to rave about your pizza, and with good reason. Some places in NY are really incredible but some are pretty bad IMHO (from experience). Just as a side note: NEPA DOES have some pretty decent NY style pizza as well. And I love NY style pizza. But this is about OF pizza.....
PizzaBrewer, we get it, you don't like the cheese. (american, american, american...) Please move on to the next topic.
But you cannot call OF pizza terrible and compare it to NY pizza--like comparing a granny smith apple (green, bitter)to a red delicious apple (red, sweet). They are both apples but that's about it. If you dont like the pizza, that's OK. Many people don't. I've had people outside of the area say that they really don't know what the fuss is about.
I love it and every time I get to visit NEPA, that's the first place out to eat!!!
Seems most places seem to use a brick cheese like they make in Wisconsin (kind've like American) or a Cooper type cheese combined with Mozzarella. I'm sure all the places tweak their cheese mixtures, but all of the cheeses stick to your teeth. American type cheese on a pizza sounds kinda rough, but as others have said, don't knock it until you've tried it. The dough always seemed to me to be those rectangular pizza shells you can buy at local supermarkets. Not saying that's what is used, they may bake their own. The crust is not as thick as Sicilian but not as thin as NY style pizza.
My favorite places:
1) Revello's----best red in OF and good gnocchi and meatballs. Hands down.
2) A & G's-- best white pizza (in OF or anywhere else), really good red. Better food (other than pizza) than Revello's. Make that great food!!
3) Colarruso's--not technically in OF, but nearby Avoca. Red is almost as good as Revello's. More of that sticky cheese than the others.
4) Alfredo's--also not in OF, but in Southside Scranton. Good red.
5) Salerno's and Ghigarelli's tie for my 4 and 5 spots.
Also, as others have already stated, Victory Pig pizza in no way is an OF type pizza. People swear by it (not me personally) but they are not the same. Their pizza is loaded with onions and fried.