Author Topic: Old Forge, Pa: Pizza capital of the world  (Read 106786 times)

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
Re: Old Forge, Pa: Pizza capital of the world
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2012, 10:26:10 PM »
I think those are frozen or refrigerated, I'm pretty sure I've had them before, in smaller boxes, sold at AM/PM MiniMarts in Pittston, maybe even the relocated WalMart. Weren't very good to me, but I'm used to Ghigarelli's (OF) & Sizzle-Pi (Kingston.) They were a little better than Agostino's Bakery on OF/Duryea border, whose half-baked cheese looks "almost curdled."

Nardone's is refrigerated and usually found in the dairy case in supermarkets, Matermark, at least around here.  Old Forge pizza also reminds me very much of the original Ellio's frozen rectangles from back in the '70's before McCain bought the brand name out...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19913.0.html

Nardone's isn't too bad if you have a severe case of the munchies and only bake it long enough to just melt the cheese and not brown it, sort of like those old-time vending machine pizzas.  LOL   ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2012, 10:57:17 PM »
Nardone's is refrigerated and usually found in the dairy case in supermarkets, Matermark, at least around here.  Old Forge pizza also reminds me very much of the original Ellio's frozen rectangles from back in the '70's before McCain bought the brand name out...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19913.0.html

Nardone's isn't too bad if you have a severe case of the munchies and only bake it long enough to just melt the cheese and not brown it, sort of like those old-time vending machine pizzas.  LOL   ;D
Some things just should not be allowed to be called "pizza".....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2012, 02:10:22 PM »
Some things just should not be allowed to be called "pizza".....

Here's another oddball out of the anthracite region, Longo's of Hazelton...

http://www.longosbakery.com/

Apparently, their boxed pizza is meant to be eaten cold.   ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2012, 04:10:59 PM »
Here's another oddball out of the anthracite region, Longo's of Hazelton...

http://www.longosbakery.com/

Apparently, their boxed pizza is meant to be eaten cold.   ;D
Jeeez...where oh where do these people keep coming up with these STUPID!!!! damn names...Longos???   I yi yi yi yi......Sheeeesh man!   ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2014, 03:25:17 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but I had to put in my 2 cents. A friend and I made the trip to Old Forge from the Lehigh Valley to see what this special type of pie was all about. We went to Revellos which seems to be one of the most highly rated out there. I can't describe how awful this pizza was. Someone in an earlier post said everyone in the country has had this style of pizza because it is what they serve in school cafeterias. Man, that was dead on!

That being said, there are a lot of pizza places in NEPA that really do make a good pie. Joe's of Nanticoke comes to mind. This guy makes a great pizza. East End Pizza in Berwick is another great place. There are a lot of them out there, but this "Old Forge" style is definitely not representative of quality pizza in NEPA.

As for Longo's, they make the pie shells that are sold in a lot of the grocery stores around here. They consider it "tavern pizza" in their marketing. With a quality sauce and cheese, its not bad if you don't want to make your own dough.

Offline matermark

« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2014, 10:24:30 PM »
Across the street from Revello's is Arcaro's and in the same block is Ghighirelli's, which tasted much better than Revello's. Revello's cheese makes the pizza stick to the roof of my mouth!

Have you tried Sizzle-Pi in Kingston? I brought 3 trays back with me to Buffalo the last time I was out there. It probably has the thickest crust of the four mentioned, but was really addictive. Here in Buffalo, all pizza is round except "party pizza", which is a full baker's tray (18x26"?) Sizzle-Pi's, being the thickest, was probably the airiest & lightest of those. Nothing like cafeteria pizza or Ellio's frozen pizza.

Have you tried the double-crust white pizza in Old Forge? My girlfriend from high school many years ago, back in town here, said how she wish she could have an Old Forge white pizza, and how she loved it! She had it at Gabelo's, which was actually in Duryea, on the Duryea-Old Forge border. (It's a different restaurant now.) My last girlfriend, no longer, said it reminded her of grilled cheese but with mozzarella instead of American cheese. The two almost argued over it. (The last GF thinks Revello's uses American cheese!)

Someone mentioned shells... anything made with a par-/pre-baked crust should be considered phony pizza. The only pizza place that semi-successfully pulled it off (Chicago deep dish aside), is a place out here called Pi-Craft, which makes artisan semi-neapolitan style 10-12" pizza on a conveyor 700 degree "brick" oven. They claim it's crust is a combo type of neo/ischia (I think) that's, I believe, made earlier that day:

Our Dough...

"We use an ancient European yeast culture and 4 flours to create a unique whole grain artisan crust.  Our original recipe is not an American style bread pizza, or super thin European crust, we fall somewhere in the middle.

We use a high temperature stone conveyor oven to cook our food.  Because of this high temperature, we can cook pizza or sandwiches in about 3-6 minutes."
(www.pi-craft.com)

I posted something about this place earlier this year in another thread.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:26:13 PM by matermark »

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2014, 08:21:55 AM »
I've only tried Revellos. When I get a thicker pizza like that, I want a denser crust like sicilian or detroit style. I think what really disappointed me was the cheese though. It definitely wasn't mozz, and I would have to agree that it was probably regular American Cheese. There is a place in Bethlehem that has Old Forge Style that people rave about called Fratzolas.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/fratzolas-pizza-cafe-bethlehem

pizzapan