Author Topic: Wayne is Branching Out  (Read 4504 times)

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
Re: Wayne is Branching Out
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2014, 08:48:12 PM »
Very nice Wayne .. I like your style!  :chef:
Jeff

Offline waynesize

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2014, 07:14:06 AM »
Thanks, Bob and Jeff.  I think I need to explore some other styles. Some of the Detroit style pizzas on here look amazing. And, I have not made a Chicago Deep Dish in a while.  Hopefully, things will settle down a bit, and I can get back into a pizza making rhythm.

Wayne

Offline waynesize

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2014, 09:26:57 PM »
Finally made some dough that is not "emergency" dough. Put it down for a 3 day cold ferment. That makes NYE pizza night. New tradition in the making? Maybe.  That also gives me time to think ahead to next weekend. Wanting to try something different. A Sicilian or Detroit style might be in the works.

Wayne

Offline waynesize

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2015, 09:35:54 PM »
Haven't been posting to this thread for a little while. Really pushing myself this time.  Attempting Craig's (TXCraig) Mozza dough. First time with a preferment, and first time with hydration in the 70s.  Stretch and folds are new to me as well.   Not sure how it is going to turn out, but I am giving it a try.  ;D

Wayne

Offline waynesize

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2015, 10:15:06 PM »
So, my attempt at Craig's Mozza Dough was a failure. I will give it another try later on.  Tonight, I decided to make some small tweaks to my usual dough. This is the formula:

97% AP + 3% Spelt
61% Water
2% Oil
2% Salt
0.33% IDY

Dough felt good after kneading. I could see the spelt, even though it was only 20 grams.  I could tell the hydration was lower, dropped from 63% water to 61%.

Dough was balled and put in the fridge at 9:45pm tonight, and will be used on Saturday evening.  Not expecting a huge difference than my usual, but hoping the Spelt flour will add some flavor to the dough.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:21:45 PM by waynesize »

Online HBolte

• Supporting Member
  • More Pizza please...
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2015, 12:04:58 PM »
Wayne, I'm getting ready to try Craig's Mozza pie, any idea where yours went wrong?

Hans
Hans

Offline waynesize

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2015, 11:26:48 AM »
I think it went wrong with ME!  I am not so good with higher hydration levels.  The dough just never really came together for me. Was too wet and I was unable to handle it. Really couldn't even ball it.  I want to try again. I just need a little more education first.  :-\

Offline waynesize

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2015, 11:32:36 AM »
My dough with a little Spelt and a lower hydration turned out pretty good. Sorry, no pics of the pies. It was a little busy around here, and there may have been some beverages involved!  Made two pies, and they were pretty good. Stretched nicely, to 14 inches. The spelt seemed to add a little flavor, without any big change in the texture. Might up the amount next time to see if it makes any difference. Have one dough leftover, and it will become cheesy breadsticks this afternoon.

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2015, 01:03:26 PM »

I think it went wrong with ME!  I am not so good with higher hydration levels.  The dough just never really came together for me. Was too wet and I was unable to handle it. Really couldn't even ball it.  I want to try again. I just need a little more education first.  :-\
Are you mixing by hand? If so,  make sure you give it a good 30 minutes before the first stretch and fold. Dough should be a lot easier to handle.

Offline waynesize

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2015, 03:35:11 PM »
I did the initial mix in the Kitchen Aid. Then stretch and folds per Craig's instructions. I need practice, practice, practice.  I may have measured something wrong as well. It was very wet.

Offline waynesize

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2015, 10:01:08 PM »
I liked last weeks results with a little Spelt and a lower hydration. This week, I upped the Spelt and upped the water a little too.

95% AP + 5% Spelt
62% water
2% oil
2% salt
0.33% IDY

Balled and put in the fridge until Saturday.