Author Topic: That elusive yet "Perfect" pie  (Read 42370 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: That elusive yet "Perfect" pie
« Reply #200 on: November 13, 2011, 06:00:18 PM »
 :o
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #201 on: November 13, 2011, 11:56:54 PM »
bummed-out
They Grow in "ovens' built from...
m.

You are vacuum packing and freezing the pizzas? ???
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline doodneyy

« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2011, 01:22:25 AM »
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 01:36:18 AM by doodneyy »

Offline doodneyy

« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2011, 01:27:37 AM »
You are vacuum packing and freezing the pizzas? ???
Hey Jet,
No, I am covering them in a breathable wrap & giving them to friends for their lunch

m.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2011, 07:17:18 AM »
That ia a beauty Doodneyy.  Nice work!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:19:20 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #205 on: November 19, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »
That's what I'm talking about. Very nice.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline doodneyy

« Reply #206 on: November 22, 2011, 02:10:10 AM »
TX & Tran-man,
Thanks

m.

Offline doodneyy

« Reply #207 on: November 22, 2011, 02:28:45 AM »
November windy fireson......
it is not chared too much!..
it is not too dense..
it is not too light..
it is...?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:33:03 AM by doodneyy »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #208 on: March 29, 2015, 03:51:07 PM »
Thought I would revisit this project again and see what I could come up with.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #209 on: March 29, 2015, 03:55:59 PM »

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 04:03:42 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline communist

« Reply #210 on: March 29, 2015, 08:49:29 PM »
What crumb structure :o

Offline jvp123

• Learning and loving it!
« Reply #211 on: March 29, 2015, 11:58:02 PM »

Watching your videos was both exciting and depressing Jackie.  Even your experiments look perfect to me ... you are most obviously a pizza master.  :chef:

Dang I have a long way to go  :'(   Maybe by 7000 posts I'll be able to make pies close to that.  Just beautiful work. :drool:

(BTW - how do you get such a stiff slice on such a high temp, short bake?  The higher my temps go and the shorter the bakes the more floppy my slices become  :(.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:00:56 AM by jvp123 »
Jeff

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #212 on: March 30, 2015, 01:54:25 PM »
Thank you Mark and Jeff.  Mark, I see that Pizzatown is a shared favorite.  I only wish I could have tried it a few more times. 

Jeff, the stiffness is a bit deceiving.  I think a lot of pies are stiff when they first come out of the oven.  Most pies do soften up and go limp after sitting a bit.   But I agree, for a stiff slice, lower the temp and extend the bake times.  These pies in the video were between 8-9minute bakes. 

I think there are a lot of factors that go into getting a stiffer slice.  Have a strong dough, don't top too heavy, bake it well.   I also shuffle the pie between two stones in my oven.  This is a great technique because it allows the other stone to (re)charge as one is baking. 

And believe it or not, the addition of 10% egg whites goes a long way into a crunchy slice.  The closest I've gotten to replicating Pizzatowns crust was with 10% eggwhites, although I pretty sure they aren't using egg whites in their dough.  But then again who knows? 

I think I may also start experimenting with a bit of rice flour in the dough as I have heard that can help achieve that eggshell crust.   8)

Chau

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #213 on: March 30, 2015, 02:08:55 PM »
Good to see you making pizza again, I missed your posts.

Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLunchRoomPenArgyl

Offline jvp123

• Learning and loving it!
« Reply #214 on: March 30, 2015, 03:47:05 PM »
Thank you Mark and Jeff.  Mark, I see that Pizzatown is a shared favorite.  I only wish I could have tried it a few more times. 

Jeff, the stiffness is a bit deceiving.  I think a lot of pies are stiff when they first come out of the oven.  Most pies do soften up and go limp after sitting a bit.   But I agree, for a stiff slice, lower the temp and extend the bake times.  These pies in the video were between 8-9minute bakes. 

I think there are a lot of factors that go into getting a stiffer slice.  Have a strong dough, don't top too heavy, bake it well.   I also shuffle the pie between two stones in my oven.  This is a great technique because it allows the other stone to (re)charge as one is baking. 

And believe it or not, the addition of 10% egg whites goes a long way into a crunchy slice.  The closest I've gotten to replicating Pizzatowns crust was with 10% eggwhites, although I pretty sure they aren't using egg whites in their dough.  But then again who knows? 

I think I may also start experimenting with a bit of rice flour in the dough as I have heard that can help achieve that eggshell crust.   8)

Chau

Oh ok Jackie for some reason I thought your bake was really short like 3-4 mins at plus 650F.  Not sure where I got that --must have been getting threads mixed up.   ???

Thanks for the info!
Jeff

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #215 on: March 30, 2015, 07:00:19 PM »
Thank you Anthony.  Very much appreciated. 

Jeff, for awhile I was making NY/NP hybrid pizzas in my wfo and baking them sub 4 minutes.  I think that was partly motivated by Scott123.  I've slowly increased my bake times but haven't really settled on an ideal bake time yet.   I hope to get it somewhere between 6-7min.  Any longer and the cheese (that I can get locally) starts to dry out and I'm not a fan of that. 

Chau

Offline BobC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #216 on: April 02, 2015, 02:12:45 PM »
Thought I would revisit this project again and see what I could come up with.

Chau,

We seem to have very similar tastes as to what a perfect crust and crumb looks like.  Do you recall the particulars on this one from the 29th?  I think it looks better than the 65% one after, myself.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #217 on: April 04, 2015, 01:13:37 AM »
Chau,

We seem to have very similar tastes as to what a perfect crust and crumb looks like.  Do you recall the particulars on this one from the 29th?  I think it looks better than the 65% one after, myself.

BobC, I'm not sure which pie you are interested in numbers for.  Let me know and I'll post the numbers for the pie in first video or the 2nd one (sauce only)?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:16:35 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #218 on: April 04, 2015, 07:53:34 AM »
Chau,

I forgot to post on your thread, but your one formulation helped me make a good pizza in the BS.  It was posted about at Reply 44 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33515.msg333022#msg333022 

Thanks!

Norma

Offline Reek

• .....Only Reek.
« Reply #219 on: April 04, 2015, 12:56:22 PM »
 ??? ??? I was wondering if anyone here adjusts the hydration in there dough due to humidity throughout different times of the year? I've just noticed my go-to recipe came out very moist and I'm  guessing this would be the reason being that its spring and there's more moisture in the air.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #220 on: April 05, 2015, 08:05:14 AM »
Chau,

I forgot to post on your thread, but your one formulation helped me make a good pizza in the BS.  It was posted about at Reply 44 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33515.msg333022#msg333022 

Thanks!

Norma

I'm glad you liked it Norma. It looked like a good crust to me with a lot of desirable qualities.  Tell me Norma, if you coul replicate any crust or pizza, what would it be and why?  What's your perfect pizza look like?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #221 on: April 05, 2015, 08:09:22 AM »
??? ??? I was wondering if anyone here adjusts the hydration in there dough due to humidity throughout different times of the year? I've just noticed my go-to recipe came out very moist and I'm  guessing this would be the reason being that its spring and there's more moisture in the air.

I don't personally bc I typically don't stick to one formulation or method.  But if I did it wouldn't be more than a percent of two.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #222 on: April 05, 2015, 08:55:54 AM »
I'm glad you liked it Norma. It looked like a good crust to me with a lot of desirable qualities.  Tell me Norma, if you coul replicate any crust or pizza, what would it be and why?  What's your perfect pizza look like?

Chau,

I really love it!  ;D I really don't know at this point in time what my perfect pizza would be.  I do love Craig's pizzas, but can't replicate them right in my BS.  I am also tending to like egg-shell like crusts better all of them.  Another thing I like is blisterings on the rim crusts. For a NY style I like a good balance of sauce and cheese and a crispy bottom crust with a moist rim crust. 

I think we each have our preferences in what makes a better pizza. 

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #223 on: April 05, 2015, 09:28:25 AM »
Norma if you like micro blisters on the crust, brush some oil on the crust before saucing it.  I like to put the product below in a squeeze bottle.  Squeeze a line of it on the rim and it stays put.  No dripping or running over onto the peel.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2015, 09:40:41 AM »
Chau,

In your experience, have you been able to get oiling the rim to produce microblistering in an emergency dough or a dough that has been cold fermented for a day or less? My question presumes that a standard home oven is used to bake the pizzas, although I would also be interested in hearing about other bake protocols that appear to promote microblistering in doughs such as mentioned above, including using a Black Stone oven, multiple stones, convection or use of the broiler.

Peter

pizzapan