Author Topic: Emma Parigiano Reggiano  (Read 1270 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Emma Parigiano Reggiano
« on: April 14, 2010, 08:54:08 PM »
Anybody have any thoughts on this cheese. Its From Italy and DOP cert.! Long story but I ended up with a 6lb!! block of it and its great! no more $18.99 a lb for me at least for this summer anyway  ;D Can I freeze or just seal and sit I use a lot but this is a real lot Yes PCampell  I have your 2 lb chunk ready to deliver
shareing is nice
John
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:56:12 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Matthew

Re: Emma Parigiano Reggiano
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 06:25:54 AM »
Hey John,
Don't freeze it & don't pre grate it.  Cut it in pieces and vacuum seal the individual pieces.  I typically grate only what I need just prior to using.
Matt

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 01:09:46 PM »
Where'd you pick that up? I picked up a nice sized wedge of Grana Podano from BJs for about 8 bucks. Might try a NY style pie ala Di Fara, though I'm a neapolitan guy.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 05:12:16 PM »
HS,  that costco grana is great,  and as an addition to neapolitan style,  I love that cheese in general enev chipped of the piece plain.  I know more than a few are very partial to the romano they sell at costco and its like 6.99 a pound.  The name begins with an L I think.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 05:39:49 PM »
I know more than a few are very partial to the romano they sell at costco and its like 6.99 a pound.  The name begins with an L I think.

Marc,

Locatelli?

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 07:10:42 PM »
si I think this was 1/2 of a quater piece of full round and it was 5.8 lb I am thinking the whole thing (whole 1/2 round was close to 10 lbs and was told like $25$ for the whole chunk #2.50- $3 a lb! still pecking away at it I did not shred just chunked it. I Did put some in freezer will report on results.
John

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »
Where'd you buy that much for so cheap!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 07:25:04 PM »
Where'd you buy that much for so cheap!
Nice Italian contractor friend of mind we tried his friends new wood fired pizzeria (who has a woodstone and cooks w/ gas at 550!) at which point I explained my passion for pizza and details. He said he had a connection for Parm and nexxt day called and went by for this massive chunk. Cn get more for felow jersyites if interested let me know Pat I have you pice!
John

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 07:54:58 PM »
Peter,  thats the one.  Locatelli  thanks -marc

Online scott123

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »
I've been working on methods for prolonging the shelf life of parmigiano reggiano for a few years now.  I'm pretty much a mozzarella purist when it comes to pizza, and, although I use a ton of it in lasagna, I really don't make lasagna much. I like to have PR around, though, so I need to be able to store it for quite some time- at least 6 months and usually around 8.

I was storing it in baggies/ziploc bags, but, over time, the air permeable plastic would slowly drain all the cheese of it's moisture and I'd end up with a rock. You can still cook with it, but grating it is a tremendous PITA, you'll never be able to shred it, it melts strangely, the perceived saltiness goes up, and, imo, the flavor fades. Plastic (including shrinkwrap) is fine for a couple months (maybe), but, beyond that, I'd go with glass.

Glass does have some issues, though.  Finding a glass jar that will accommodate your chunk of cheese is tricky.  I tend to look for rectangular wedges of cheese that will fit in a 16 oz. peanut butter jar (Smuckers).  In a glass jar with either a metal or a thick plastic lid, I can end up with an 8 month old chunk of parm that's identical in taste and consistency to the day that it was purchased.

The other issue with glass is mold.  Mold is not the end of the world for hard cheeses.  Most food safety experts will tell you to cut it off and the cheese will be fine. At $12.99/lb (the price I pay), I don't like losing cheese, though.  In the factory, during the aging process, they wipe off the mold with a cloth. I've tried this a few times without ill effects, but... you have to stay on top it.  If you ignore the mold for too long, it will start penetrating the cheese.

My most recent approach has been finding ways to avoid the mold completely.  With the last chunk, I added salt to the jar (a couple teaspoons) and tossed it to coat the cheese. Before I used the cheese, I rinsed it off and dried it with a paper towel.  No mold, but, the cheese did weep a tiny bit- not enough to affect grate-ability, though, and the flavor was still flawless. I'm still contemplating other methods (some sort of painted on brine, perhaps), but, for the moment, I think I'm going to stick with the salt technique. I highly recommend it.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 07:52:56 AM »
Scott ,
Thanks for those hints ! I will eat as much as possible  :D
John