Author Topic: Malnati's tomatoes now available at their stores  (Read 8346 times)

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Malnati's tomatoes now available at their stores
« on: April 26, 2010, 01:01:18 PM »
Just got an email from them that their tomatoes are available in 28 oz. cans, $2.95/ea.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
Re: Malnati's tomatoes now available at their stores
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 01:03:50 PM »
Yep. Yep.
I will investigate further and report back. :-)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8592.msg96643.html#msg96643
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline loowaters

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 01:06:30 PM »
My guess it's whole tomatoes and not what they use in the kitchen with cores and seeds removed.  The label appears to say "Stem Cut Tomatoes in Puree".

Loo

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 01:15:53 PM »
My guess it's whole tomatoes and not what they use in the kitchen with cores and seeds removed.  The label appears to say "Stem Cut Tomatoes in Puree".

Loo

Ya know, I never really looked close enough to see if they removed the seeds or not. I should look closer at one next time I go.
It's possible they carry more than one variety (diced, whole, etc.).
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline garyd

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 12:51:13 AM »
So has anyone bought the tomatoes yet?

Offline SGH

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 01:59:20 PM »
I have made a deep dish pizza with these tomatoes. They taste and look the same as the tomatoes they put on their other pizzas which I have at least once a week.

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 06:33:44 PM »
Probably good tomatoes, but at that price, they should be!

Offline loowaters

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 07:20:32 AM »
SGH, welcome to the board.  Can you confirm that they are indeed whole tomatoes and not the large chunks in puree that they have in the kitchen at Malnati's?

Loo

Offline dstagl

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 01:09:23 PM »
I had some Tastes of Chicago gift certificates and ordered some.  I've used a couple cans now, and they are whole tomatoes in puree.  I'm not sure I can tell if they're any better than the 6-in-1's that my folks have sent down, though.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 04:38:20 PM »
They are "Vine Ripened Random Cut tomatoes in Puree" 

I have a tin if anyone needs any more information!

Offline loowaters

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 05:11:51 PM »
So it doesn't say "stem cut" like I thought but "random cut..." on the can label?  Next time I'm back home I'm going to have to grab a couple cans of them.

Loo

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 05:27:58 PM »
So it doesn't say "stem cut" like I thought but "random cut..." on the can label?  Next time I'm back home I'm going to have to grab a couple cans of them.

Loo

Indeed it says "Random Cut", it's exactly the same as they use in the kitchen at Lincolnwood.

The ingredients are as follows:

Tomatoes, Tomato Puree, Salt and Citric Acid!

Offline loowaters

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 05:39:13 PM »
That is excellent news!  Much less waste as they won't need to be cored.  You can just reach into the can and top the pie with them if you so choose.  I think I'll still give 'em the fresh garlic, EVOO, salt and pepper treatment, though.

Loo

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 03:23:25 PM »
A quick report back!

There were a few seeds in the tin and most of the tomatoes were not cut, but were whole. with the core and top remove! 

I had to chop them slightly!

Off topic: 

Today I used a fire roasted tomatoes, they had a great taste fresh from the can but the smokey taste diminished after cooking and wow was the pie good!

Offline FLAVORMAN

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 05:07:43 PM »
Hey Mick,

You are learning a bunch. You confirmed the two day rise as the best and tomatoes. Who cares? I never had a tomato I did not like in a pizza. We use the fire roasted frequently, with the proper spices it works great. I have to admit when we make pasta it is only San Marzano...I wonder what is happening at Lou's that they are trying to make a buck other than their PIZZA...

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 07:14:47 PM »
Hey Mick,

You are learning a bunch. You confirmed the two day rise as the best and tomatoes. Who cares? I never had a tomato I did not like in a pizza. We use the fire roasted frequently, with the proper spices it works great. I have to admit when we make pasta it is only San Marzano...I wonder what is happening at Lou's that they are trying to make a buck other than their PIZZA...

Who cares? I care, slightly uncalled for don't you think?.  And if you never had a bad tomato maybe your taste buds are shot.

Offline J. Michael

• Love thy Pizza
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 09:34:10 PM »
Who cares? I care, slightly uncalled for don't you think?.  And if you never had a bad tomato maybe your taste buds are shot.

I totally agree. I have had fantastic, the best in my life, fresh tomatoes picked in Mississippi. I have had horrible tomatoes from the grocery stores fresh and also in cans. If its all about the dough, eat bread.
LaValle 4 Bean

Offline ayoob

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 06:21:01 AM »

Malnati's isn't the Holy Grail of pizza anyway.  It's good, don't get me wrong.

Eduardo's is better.  So is Jake's and Nancy's.  Try Eduardo's spinach and garlic pizza and tell me there's any Chicago style better than that.  Frankly, I think the Eduardo's spinach and garlic could use some pork sausage, but that's just the Bears fan in me coming out.  They use a corn meal crust that I would love to copy.

Barry's Spot is great too.  Malnati's gets the spotlight a lot but I don't think they're all that.

You want to know where I had the absolute best Chicago style pizza?  It was from a hole in the wall joint in Los Angeles, in Echo Park of all places.  It turns out there's a guy there who studied at the feet of the greats in Chicago.  He moved to LA and took the recipes of Unos, Malnatis, and one other place I can't remember right now.  He ripped them all off and does it better than any actual Chicago pizzeria I know of.

He's on the corner of Sunset and Echo Park boulevard.  Mesa, I think.

His pizza is the best Chicago style I've ever had, and I grew up in Chicago and LOVE Chicago style pizza.  I'll eat NY style... it's pretty good in its own way.  But there's nothing like the serious high end Chicago pizza.  Nothing.

Homey just DRILLED it.  He delivers it himself, too.  When I told the proprietor I was a Chicago native and told him his pizza was the best, it was like I sprinkled Queen of All Saints holy water on his head. Tip?  How much can I tip you, my brother?  Ten bucks, that's your tip. 

I told my LA native old lady to hold her arms out to catch the pie I got from this guy.  She put her arms out and was expecting some Dominos %$# to hit her.  I swear to God Himself she almost dropped it.  Her arms bent 45 degrees trying to catch this pie.  That's #*%$ Chicago style deep dish pizza, and don't you forget it.  One slice, that's all you get, and you're going into a COMA within half an hour.  Deal.

Malnati's tomatoes.  Bah.

Grow your own damn tomatoes.

Offline loowaters

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 07:17:37 AM »
Malnati's isn't the Holy Grail of pizza anyway.  It's good, don't get me wrong.

Eduardo's is better.  So is Jake's and Nancy's...

Malnati's tomatoes.  Bah.

Grow your own damn tomatoes.

ayoob, welcome to the board.  You're a noob, ayoob, and I'm riding the high of a Blackhawks Stanley Cup win last night so I'll go easy on you.  YOU COME OFF KINDA ... hmmmm ... DOUCHE-Y.

Loo

Offline ayoob

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 08:25:58 AM »
ayoob, welcome to the board.  You're a noob, ayoob, and I'm riding the high of a Blackhawks Stanley Cup win last night so I'll go easy on you.  YOU COME OFF KINDA ... hmmmm ... DOUCHE-Y.

Loo

Yeah, I'm a noob.  Sure.