Author Topic: Midwest Pizza Pilgrimage Take 2  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: Midwest Pizza Pilgrimage Take 2
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 04:05:06 PM »
BTB:

Thanks for that clarification.  Very informative, and I understand Malnati's approach better now with regards to their sausage.   I think you are right on 2 specific counts:
1) I think the garlic we added just boosted the garlic flavor and covered up what was already there, and
2) I am used to what I consider to be more traditional Chicagoan Italian sausage which includes fennel seed and some more herbs which I did not detect in our pizza's sausage.

Like you said, different strokes for different folks.  :)

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline BTB

Re: Midwest Pizza Pilgrimage Take 2
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 03:43:07 PM »
ME, in my lifetime of eating at all the great Chicago thin crust pizzerias, I have a definite preference -- like you -- for sausage with a lot of fennel and other herbs and spices (but not hot).  But I came to be acclimated to the different kind of Italian sausage that seems to be more prevalent in deep dish style. But I, too, love a more Italian spiced sausage, esp. with fennel, for thin crust pizzas.  Boy, I wish I could have some of those great pizzas right now . . . (mouth watering . . .).  I don't know if you've ever had sausage spiced with some quality anise before, but it, too, is among the best spiced sausage for pizza that I've had.  A small 3 or 4 pizzeria group in Chicago's south suburbs is famous for that.

--BTB