Author Topic: Where can I find Calzone recipes?  (Read 5294 times)

Offline Crusty

• It's all about CRUST
Where can I find Calzone recipes?
« on: March 21, 2005, 08:51:57 PM »
Any members have experience using pizza dough for calzones?  What type of filling combinations

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Re: Where can I find Calzone recipes?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 09:13:04 PM »
This is a real crowd favorite:

Pepperoni, sundried tomato, chopped fresh tomato (very well strained),  fresh chopped rosemary, mozzarella.

You can also roll this into a stromobolii roll and garnish with wedges of fresh tomato pressed into the dough.  Makes a nice presentation. Sometimes I curve the roll into a horseshoe shape too. You can even pour the oil from the sundried tomatoes over the dough to create more of a fried dough stromboli.

Jeff

Offline pizzabill

• Pizza Maker's journal
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 11:09:39 PM »
Crusty,

My favorite involves some sliced ham, provy, riccotta, and lots of mozz! Here's a shot of my last calzone:

(http://www.gocrawford.com/pizza/060904a.jpg)

(http://www.gocrawford.com/pizza/060904b.jpg)

Here's how I make them: http://www.pizzamaniac.com/index.php/archives/2004/06/10/ham-and-cheese-calzone/

Let us know if you give it a shot!

-PizzaBill
Pizza Maker's Journal -
http://www.PizzaManiac.com/

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Calzone fritto
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 10:55:49 AM »
This is how a calzone fritto should look like.

It is filled only with ricotta and fior di latte. I did not have any Napoli's salami or even better cicoli, that is why I did not put them in.

Please look at the crumb, and how fluffy it is...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 07:06:57 PM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 03:14:14 AM »
That looks delightfully un healthy :) Man, I've got so much stuff I want to try out, its going to take me a couple weeks to get through it all. A couple variations of DiFaras dough, and then PizzaBills stromboli.

quido pizza

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 11:50:18 PM »
i true calzone is fried as pizza nopoli showed.  in mixing bowl  one lb of ricotta,  one raw egg, salt to taste, pinch of pepper. dash of garlic powder, chopped fresh parsley. mix  add hand full of shredded mozz. mix. open a dough ball a little thick, cut into four pieces. add mixture and fold and close. no leaks. fry in hot oil till golden brown.  yummy  also you can add chopped ham or salami.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 03:23:10 AM »
Marco, is this your pizza dough, or do you use a different recipe for the fluffy crust?

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 07:05:52 PM »
Same dough

When I am home and cannot do it in a professional setting, I don't even try and bake my dough in an home oven. Thus I only mke fried pizza....

Fluffy when baked in a Neapolitan wood oven and fluffy when fried up....

Offline Ricky

• Lifetime Member
  • Yummy Pizza
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 03:14:29 AM »
 Filling as follows , Ricotta,Feta,or Cottage cheese is Ok, Ham cubes, Chopped Tomatoes                       
                             in cubes   use    Fresh Basil Leaves, Dry mix herbs/oregano/Praprika/salt and 
                             Pepper, This is what Pizza Herbs/spices is. All first pre-mix, Then finally
                             additional add Small amount of Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese
                              to enhance more cheesy Flavours and finally add Pepper and Salt before sealing dough
Yes, I try it with Pizza dough with the above filling after attending a calzone and Pizza making course. :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 08:20:03 AM by Ricky »

Offline DiamondMarco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 09:10:41 AM »
Crusty, When I lived in Italy my wife and I ate Calzonne at our local Pizzaria at least twice a week. Over the years our favorite ingredients became sausage (bulk,spiced,chunks),mushrooms (fresh,sliced), and onions(sliced). The onions came out of a bowl full of olive oil so the inside of the calzonne was full of the juices from the ingredients and olive oil after baking. Talk about a flavor party!! We've not found any combo that comes close to what this trio offers the taste buds.

Enjoy,
DiamondMarco

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005, 07:33:36 PM »
Crusty,
Here are a couple of photographs from my calzone making effort tonight. Quattro Formaggio, sauce, pepperoni, Pizza Raquel formulary...

I would highly recommend using your favorite dough recipe and stuffing it with your favorite toppings. In many ways a good calzone has superior flavor than a pizza. There is something about splitting open a hot pocket full of flavor.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pyegal

• Have a peetza pie everyday!
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 08:25:23 PM »
Diamond Marco,
I noticed you didn't list any cheese in your favorite calzone with the sausage, mushrooms and onions?
Was there cheese in that version?

Thanks!
pyegal

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 11:23:49 AM »
pyegal,
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

I have got to try my calzone recipe with sausage (Chorizo), onions (bathed in EVOO), and mushrooms with a quattro formaggio blend. I bet it is to die for. For my latest calzone, I borrowed from DC PM's exquisite version which puffs up and creates a hot cavernous pocket which I found to be more tasty than slitting the top and allowing the flavorful steam to escape.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 12:19:46 AM »
My favorite is to just take a pizza, add mozz, ricotta, provolone, and some margherita pepperoni and fold it in half, have some pizza/marinara sauce  on the side.