Author Topic: Spiral Mixer  (Read 15982 times)

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
Re: Spiral Mixer
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 12:18:56 PM »
Ok, now it's official.  I have moved from envious to jealous.  Especially after mixing up my first batch of Caputo yesterday which was a cluster thanks to Kitchen Aid.
I think you definitely need one of these though...
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=261e207c677caf219fd32a9e9cabece8&topic=10806.msg96416#msg96416

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 01:30:14 PM »
Ok, now it's official.  I have moved from envious to jealous.  Especially after mixing up my first batch of Caputo yesterday which was a cluster thanks to Kitchen Aid.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=261e207c677caf219fd32a9e9cabece8&topic=10806.msg96416#msg96416

huh...funny thing Hog.  I baked my first caputo pies yesterday and was less than impress.   Guess it's time I suck it up and buy the bosch. 

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »
huh...funny thing Hog.  I baked my first caputo pies yesterday and was less than impress.   Guess it's time I suck it up and buy the bosch. 
LOL, guess great minds think alike Tran  ::) .  The oven is preheating as I type this for my attempt at Caputo.
Matt and folks like BillSFM have shown the way.  It will be a fork or spiral mixer for me period since I already have one, if you can call it that.  So my next step up will be all the way.  Until then I will be hand kneading when necessary which should be a good learning experience in the end.  Of course if I knew then what I know now I would prob get the Bosch from what I have read and seen. 
Who knows, with the popularity of Neapolitan style pizza perhaps these mixers will become more prevalent and less costly.  We can only hope since "sucking it up" really applies at their prices!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 06:25:12 PM »

Nah......I just do this!

brayshaw

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 05:13:22 AM »
Thats an awesome piece of kit Matt!! nice!
How do you clean it? is the bowl fixed on all sprial mixers?

Paul

Offline Matthew

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 06:09:13 AM »
Thats an awesome piece of kit Matt!! nice!
How do you clean it? is the bowl fixed on all sprial mixers?

Paul

Hi Paul,
Thank you.  I modified the guard so that I can lift it up most of the way & the mixer will still run.  I just used a damp cloth to wipe down the hook & then turned the machine on & wiped the interior while the bowl was spinning.  To clean under the spiral hook I simple put a damp jay cloth under it & turned the mixer on.  The exact model is available with a removeable bowl for $350 more.  Once the dough was finished mixing there wasn't any dough stuck to the interior of the bowl or the spiral.  The cleanup was just residue.  To disinfect the bowl & hook the instructions say to use alcohol.

Matt

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 09:51:11 AM »
To disinfect the bowl & hook the instructions say to use alcohol.

Matt,

You shouldn't drink while disinfecting the bowl and hook  :-D.

Peter

Offline Matthew

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 10:46:51 AM »
Matt,

You shouldn't drink while disinfecting the bowl and hook  :-D.

Peter

Ya no kidding, that rubbing alcohol is strong stuff! ::)
Is it even safe to use rubbing alcohol in something that will be in contact with food? ???

Matt

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 11:34:20 AM »
You can use a little bit of clorox(couple drops) and dilute it with water and use that. Thats what we use at work as a sanitizer for the dishes.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 12:06:44 PM »
Ya no kidding, that rubbing alcohol is strong stuff! ::)
Is it even safe to use rubbing alcohol in something that will be in contact with food? ???

Matt

I don't think you'd have any lasting ill effects from using rubbing alcohol because it evaporates very quickly. However, to be on the safe side, I'd wipe it once more with a damp cloth after the alcohol was used.

Or use Clorox like Brickstone suggested.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 02:18:58 PM »
Here is a couple of solutions and methods that can be used on food prep areas.  BTW, did you know studies suggest plastic cutting boards are more likely to hold nasty bugs than wood ones?

http://realneo.us/content/how-disinfect-your-salad-food-non-toxic
http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/vinegar-as-a-disinfectant.html

Offline Matthew

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 05:34:18 PM »
Here is a couple of solutions and methods that can be used on food prep areas.  BTW, did you know studies suggest plastic cutting boards are more likely to hold nasty bugs than wood ones?

http://realneo.us/content/how-disinfect-your-salad-food-non-toxic
http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/vinegar-as-a-disinfectant.html

Thanks alot for the info, very interesting.  My initial thought was in fact to use a water& vinegar solution which is what we generally use around the house to clean the furniture, floors, appliances, etc.

Matt

brayshaw

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 10:07:05 AM »
Matthew, I would love to see a video of your new mixer in action.. is that possible? do you have a video camera?

Paul

Offline Matthew

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 05:05:10 PM »
Matthew, I would love to see a video of your new mixer in action.. is that possible? do you have a video camera?

Paul

Hey Paul,
Yes it's possible & Yes I do.  I just have to find the time.  I'm not sure if you've seen it, but someone else put a video of the SP5 mixing a batch of dough on you tube.  You can see it @ .  I'm not sure why his mixer sounds like that, mine is pretty quiet.  I will do one, just done know when.

Matt

brayshaw

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 05:36:22 AM »
Thanks Matthew, that would be great.
I have got to get myself a mixer like yours, that is a thing of beauty :o

Paul

Offline Badbruno

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2010, 08:08:31 PM »
Matt can you help with your research on this awesome machine.. What were you looking for when you selected it? Which other machines you considered in the trade off.. I'm interested in getting a machine, my Kitchen aid is too small. Batch is too small

Offline Matthew

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2010, 06:13:17 AM »
Matt can you help with your research on this awesome machine.. What were you looking for when you selected it? Which other machines you considered in the trade off.. I'm interested in getting a machine, my Kitchen aid is too small. Batch is too small

I have always wanted a spiral mixer & when I found out that a smaller capacity one was available I decided to purchase it.  I didn't compare it to any other models because their are not very many available in the North American market with this capacity.  All the reviews I read on this machine were stellar & after trying it I now know why.  That being said, this is the best mixer that I have owned thus far hands down.  I had the Sanots fork mixer for a while which was also very good; just not for me.  For the past year I was using an Electrolux DLX which I really liked.  The only mixer that I have not tried is the Bosch; everyone that owns one loves it, so if price is an issue you may want to have a look at that as well.  If money is not an issue, then I promise you, you will definitely not be disappointed with the SP5.

Good Luck
Matt

Offline Badbruno

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2010, 06:32:11 AM »
Matt

I checked out your machine wow , both sites don't list the cost, what did it cost you?.. Did you consider buying it from the us company importer instead of waiting 2 months.

How large a mix will it produce, lbs?  I'm comparing it to the bosch

thanks

Badbruno

Offline Matthew

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2010, 07:04:48 AM »
Matt

I checked out your machine wow , both sites don't list the cost, what did it cost you?.. Did you consider buying it from the us company importer instead of waiting 2 months.

How large a mix will it produce, lbs?  I'm comparing it to the bosch

thanks

Badbruno

I waited 2 months because the Canadian Distributor was out of stock & were waiting on a few units to be completed & shipped from Italy.  If I would of bought it from TMB baking or any other US distributor I would have pay duty, brokerage, not to mention the astronomical shipping cost because of the weight of the unit.  I think that TMB sells it for $1350 plus shipping.  The capacity is 5kg.

Matt

Offline Badbruno

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2010, 07:07:37 AM »
Ok I understand

Can you provide the Canadian distributor information