Author Topic: Spiral Mixer  (Read 16191 times)

Offline Matthew

Re: Spiral Mixer
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2010, 07:53:01 AM »
Ok I understand

Can you provide the Canadian distributor information

http://www.emequip.com

Offline Badbruno

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2010, 08:26:42 AM »
Thanks for the information I'm working it.

Great
 :chef:

Offline bicster

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2010, 03:33:52 PM »
I apologize if this has been asked and answered already, but after using this beautiful specimen, what do you feel is the smallest batch size she could accomodate?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2010, 08:26:35 PM »
I apologize if this has been asked and answered already, but after using this beautiful specimen, what do you feel is the smallest batch size she could accomodate?

I can't say for sure, the only batch that I've mixed up thus far was 1650g (total weight) & it did a great job.  From what I read, the smallest seems to be 1000g.

Matt

Offline bicster

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2010, 08:35:11 PM »
I can't say for sure, the only batch that I've mixed up thus far was 1650g (total weight) & it did a great job.  From what I read, the smallest seems to be 1000g.

Matt

Oh, great news.  I'm usually around 1200g.  Might be time for a new toy.

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2010, 12:14:19 AM »
Bicster,
there is an italian co. that makes an SP5 mixer that allows you to make a 250g mix minimum. I bought mine in Feb. but I hardly use it because for the family I need to mix small batches. I will probably visit the co. this summer and buy this other model. Mine weighs 38kg made by an artisanal Co. in Thiene(Vicenza), one town over from where they make Esmach. This other mixer is 115/230/400v   50/60HZ, 24v low voltage.   I am assuming that if I buy a 2 speed to make pizza romana I would not  need 3 phase electric in my house(too expensive) It comes on wheels and it is guaranteed worldwide for 2 years. I will ask my friend pizzaiolo if he can get me the same discount that he got me before.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2010, 06:51:40 AM »
Bicster,
there is an italian co. that makes an SP5 mixer that allows you to make a 250g mix minimum. I bought mine in Feb. but I hardly use it because for the family I need to mix small batches. I will probably visit the co. this summer and buy this other model. Mine weighs 38kg made by an artisanal Co. in Thiene(Vicenza), one town over from where they make Esmach. This other mixer is 115/230/400v   50/60HZ, 24v low voltage.   I am assuming that if I buy a 2 speed to make pizza romana I would not  need 3 phase electric in my house(too expensive) It comes on wheels and it is guaranteed worldwide for 2 years. I will ask my friend pizzaiolo if he can get me the same discount that he got me before.

You're probably not going to, but since you posted on my thread I thought that I would ask anyway for the benefit of the other members.  Why don't you post a photo of your mixer & a model number so that everyone can see it.

Matt

Offline bicster

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2010, 09:12:55 AM »
Bicster,

please let me know

Offline Matthew

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2010, 09:07:19 AM »
I've had my mixer for over 3 months now & couldn't be happier.  Based on my fermentation regimen, 6 minutes of mixing is typically just right to achieve the moderate gluten development that I'm looking for.  If I'm making a same day dough & looking for full gluten development & excellent windowpaning, then I let it go for about 10 minutes.  Overall, this mixer does a great job of mixing very dry dough's (60% or less).  As the mixer only has 1 speed & a non removeable bowl, I learned the hard way that it's alot easier to apply the double hydration method in order to achieve the proper consistency when mixing very wet dough's (72% or more).  Apart from that I love it!

Matt

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2010, 10:09:09 AM »
Matt,

Still happy with your SP5?  Do you think your pizza is better with it than with your old DLX?  It looks to built like a tank, so i guess it will last.  Any other advantages that you see?  I'm thinking about a spiral mixer.  there's a big difference between the Bosch and this one, but if it's really better.....
thanks,
bill

Offline Matthew

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2010, 02:35:12 PM »
Matt,

Still happy with your SP5?  Do you think your pizza is better with it than with your old DLX?  It looks to built like a tank, so i guess it will last.  Any other advantages that you see?  I'm thinking about a spiral mixer.  there's a big difference between the Bosch and this one, but if it's really better.....
thanks,
bill

Yes very much.  As far as I'm concerned, the single most important thing to making consistently good dough is knowing what your dough should feel & look like.  That being said, you can achieve great dough with any mixer out there one you learn its capabilities & limitations.  So to answer your question, I have had the spiral mixer for a few months now & yes my pizza has improved.  I'm hoping that its because my overall process has improved & not because of the mixer. :)  The DLX is a great machine & although I have never used one, based on what I've seen, so is the Bosch.  The SP5 is a 1 trick pony & only does 1 thing so if you're like me you'll need a secondary mixer to do other jobs.  The only downfall is that the bowl is not removeable making it a little bit tricky to remove really wet doughs.  Apart from that, it's worth its weight in gold.

Matt

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2010, 04:16:36 PM »
I have used the bosch, the sp5, and the dlx.    I wish I had been able to do side by side comparisons, but my findings were this.    sp5 and bosch are better than the dlx.   The sp5 might make a slightly better dough than the bosch, but I am not sure of that.   The sp5 is built like a tank and will probably last forever. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 04:24:19 PM by scott r »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2010, 06:21:24 PM »
The sp5 is built like a tank and will probably last forever. 

This is true.  It will likely be the last mixer you buy unless you upgrade to a larger model.  For home use the SP5 is more than sufficient.

Matt

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2010, 06:26:01 PM »
thanks for those reviews Matt and Scott.  the Bosch looks like a bargain but that SP5 sure is cool!  

Offline Matthew

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2010, 06:31:36 PM »
thanks for those reviews Matt and Scott.  the Bosch looks like a bargain but that SP5 sure is cool!  

Bill,
Not sure if you saw this.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11973.0.html

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2010, 06:47:47 PM »
wow.  i haven't seen that 'till now.  that thing does a nice job!  when you say your next mixer will be a diving arms mixer, are you talking about a much larger one?  are there other options for a small batch mixer you would consider now? 

Offline carbon

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2010, 07:20:15 PM »
Nice videos!  Is this mixer similar to the Globe SP5?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2010, 07:26:17 PM »
wow.  i haven't seen that 'till now.  that thing does a nice job!  when you say your next mixer will be a diving arms mixer, are you talking about a much larger one?  are there other options for a small batch mixer you would consider now? 

The diving arms mixer will be for commercial use.  I'm not sure I understand the 2nd question.

Matt

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2010, 07:27:09 PM »
Is this mixer similar to the Globe SP5?

No, the globe sp5 is like a n50 hobart. Its just a heavy duty countertop planetary mixer.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2010, 07:28:53 PM »
Matt I remember Marco posting a link for a small fork mixer. I think it was a countertop one, but very expensive.

pizzapan