Author Topic: Spiral Mixer  (Read 19992 times)

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
Re: Spiral Mixer
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 06:09:13 AM »
Thats an awesome piece of kit Matt!! nice!
How do you clean it? is the bowl fixed on all sprial mixers?

Paul

Hi Paul,
Thank you.  I modified the guard so that I can lift it up most of the way & the mixer will still run.  I just used a damp cloth to wipe down the hook & then turned the machine on & wiped the interior while the bowl was spinning.  To clean under the spiral hook I simple put a damp jay cloth under it & turned the mixer on.  The exact model is available with a removeable bowl for $350 more.  Once the dough was finished mixing there wasn't any dough stuck to the interior of the bowl or the spiral.  The cleanup was just residue.  To disinfect the bowl & hook the instructions say to use alcohol.

Matt

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 09:51:11 AM »
To disinfect the bowl & hook the instructions say to use alcohol.

Matt,

You shouldn't drink while disinfecting the bowl and hook  :-D.

Peter

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 10:46:51 AM »
Matt,

You shouldn't drink while disinfecting the bowl and hook  :-D.

Peter

Ya no kidding, that rubbing alcohol is strong stuff! ::)
Is it even safe to use rubbing alcohol in something that will be in contact with food? ???

Matt

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 11:34:20 AM »
You can use a little bit of clorox(couple drops) and dilute it with water and use that. Thats what we use at work as a sanitizer for the dishes.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 12:06:44 PM »
Ya no kidding, that rubbing alcohol is strong stuff! ::)
Is it even safe to use rubbing alcohol in something that will be in contact with food? ???

Matt

I don't think you'd have any lasting ill effects from using rubbing alcohol because it evaporates very quickly. However, to be on the safe side, I'd wipe it once more with a damp cloth after the alcohol was used.

Or use Clorox like Brickstone suggested.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 02:18:58 PM »
Here is a couple of solutions and methods that can be used on food prep areas.  BTW, did you know studies suggest plastic cutting boards are more likely to hold nasty bugs than wood ones?

http://realneo.us/content/how-disinfect-your-salad-food-non-toxic
http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/vinegar-as-a-disinfectant.html

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 05:34:18 PM »
Here is a couple of solutions and methods that can be used on food prep areas.  BTW, did you know studies suggest plastic cutting boards are more likely to hold nasty bugs than wood ones?

http://realneo.us/content/how-disinfect-your-salad-food-non-toxic
http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/vinegar-as-a-disinfectant.html

Thanks alot for the info, very interesting.  My initial thought was in fact to use a water& vinegar solution which is what we generally use around the house to clean the furniture, floors, appliances, etc.

Matt

brayshaw

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 10:07:05 AM »
Matthew, I would love to see a video of your new mixer in action.. is that possible? do you have a video camera?

Paul

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 05:05:10 PM »
Matthew, I would love to see a video of your new mixer in action.. is that possible? do you have a video camera?

Paul

Hey Paul,
Yes it's possible & Yes I do.  I just have to find the time.  I'm not sure if you've seen it, but someone else put a video of the SP5 mixing a batch of dough on you tube.  You can see it @ .  I'm not sure why his mixer sounds like that, mine is pretty quiet.  I will do one, just done know when.

Matt

brayshaw

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 05:36:22 AM »
Thanks Matthew, that would be great.
I have got to get myself a mixer like yours, that is a thing of beauty :o

Paul

Offline Badbruno

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2010, 08:08:31 PM »
Matt can you help with your research on this awesome machine.. What were you looking for when you selected it? Which other machines you considered in the trade off.. I'm interested in getting a machine, my Kitchen aid is too small. Batch is too small

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2010, 06:13:17 AM »
Matt can you help with your research on this awesome machine.. What were you looking for when you selected it? Which other machines you considered in the trade off.. I'm interested in getting a machine, my Kitchen aid is too small. Batch is too small

I have always wanted a spiral mixer & when I found out that a smaller capacity one was available I decided to purchase it.  I didn't compare it to any other models because their are not very many available in the North American market with this capacity.  All the reviews I read on this machine were stellar & after trying it I now know why.  That being said, this is the best mixer that I have owned thus far hands down.  I had the Sanots fork mixer for a while which was also very good; just not for me.  For the past year I was using an Electrolux DLX which I really liked.  The only mixer that I have not tried is the Bosch; everyone that owns one loves it, so if price is an issue you may want to have a look at that as well.  If money is not an issue, then I promise you, you will definitely not be disappointed with the SP5.

Good Luck
Matt

Offline Badbruno

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2010, 06:32:11 AM »
Matt

I checked out your machine wow , both sites don't list the cost, what did it cost you?.. Did you consider buying it from the us company importer instead of waiting 2 months.

How large a mix will it produce, lbs?  I'm comparing it to the bosch

thanks

Badbruno

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2010, 07:04:48 AM »
Matt

I checked out your machine wow , both sites don't list the cost, what did it cost you?.. Did you consider buying it from the us company importer instead of waiting 2 months.

How large a mix will it produce, lbs?  I'm comparing it to the bosch

thanks

Badbruno

I waited 2 months because the Canadian Distributor was out of stock & were waiting on a few units to be completed & shipped from Italy.  If I would of bought it from TMB baking or any other US distributor I would have pay duty, brokerage, not to mention the astronomical shipping cost because of the weight of the unit.  I think that TMB sells it for $1350 plus shipping.  The capacity is 5kg.

Matt

Offline Badbruno

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2010, 07:07:37 AM »
Ok I understand

Can you provide the Canadian distributor information

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2010, 07:53:01 AM »
Ok I understand

Can you provide the Canadian distributor information

http://www.emequip.com

Offline Badbruno

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2010, 08:26:42 AM »
Thanks for the information I'm working it.

Great
 :chef:

Offline bicster

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2010, 03:33:52 PM »
I apologize if this has been asked and answered already, but after using this beautiful specimen, what do you feel is the smallest batch size she could accomodate?

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2010, 08:26:35 PM »
I apologize if this has been asked and answered already, but after using this beautiful specimen, what do you feel is the smallest batch size she could accomodate?

I can't say for sure, the only batch that I've mixed up thus far was 1650g (total weight) & it did a great job.  From what I read, the smallest seems to be 1000g.

Matt

Offline bicster

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2010, 08:35:11 PM »
I can't say for sure, the only batch that I've mixed up thus far was 1650g (total weight) & it did a great job.  From what I read, the smallest seems to be 1000g.

Matt

Oh, great news.  I'm usually around 1200g.  Might be time for a new toy.

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2010, 12:14:19 AM »
Bicster,
there is an italian co. that makes an SP5 mixer that allows you to make a 250g mix minimum. I bought mine in Feb. but I hardly use it because for the family I need to mix small batches. I will probably visit the co. this summer and buy this other model. Mine weighs 38kg made by an artisanal Co. in Thiene(Vicenza), one town over from where they make Esmach. This other mixer is 115/230/400v   50/60HZ, 24v low voltage.   I am assuming that if I buy a 2 speed to make pizza romana I would not  need 3 phase electric in my house(too expensive) It comes on wheels and it is guaranteed worldwide for 2 years. I will ask my friend pizzaiolo if he can get me the same discount that he got me before.

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2010, 06:51:40 AM »
Bicster,
there is an italian co. that makes an SP5 mixer that allows you to make a 250g mix minimum. I bought mine in Feb. but I hardly use it because for the family I need to mix small batches. I will probably visit the co. this summer and buy this other model. Mine weighs 38kg made by an artisanal Co. in Thiene(Vicenza), one town over from where they make Esmach. This other mixer is 115/230/400v   50/60HZ, 24v low voltage.   I am assuming that if I buy a 2 speed to make pizza romana I would not  need 3 phase electric in my house(too expensive) It comes on wheels and it is guaranteed worldwide for 2 years. I will ask my friend pizzaiolo if he can get me the same discount that he got me before.

You're probably not going to, but since you posted on my thread I thought that I would ask anyway for the benefit of the other members.  Why don't you post a photo of your mixer & a model number so that everyone can see it.

Matt

Offline bicster

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2010, 09:12:55 AM »
Bicster,

please let me know

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2010, 09:07:19 AM »
I've had my mixer for over 3 months now & couldn't be happier.  Based on my fermentation regimen, 6 minutes of mixing is typically just right to achieve the moderate gluten development that I'm looking for.  If I'm making a same day dough & looking for full gluten development & excellent windowpaning, then I let it go for about 10 minutes.  Overall, this mixer does a great job of mixing very dry dough's (60% or less).  As the mixer only has 1 speed & a non removeable bowl, I learned the hard way that it's alot easier to apply the double hydration method in order to achieve the proper consistency when mixing very wet dough's (72% or more).  Apart from that I love it!

Matt

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2010, 10:09:09 AM »
Matt,

Still happy with your SP5?  Do you think your pizza is better with it than with your old DLX?  It looks to built like a tank, so i guess it will last.  Any other advantages that you see?  I'm thinking about a spiral mixer.  there's a big difference between the Bosch and this one, but if it's really better.....
thanks,
bill

pizzapan