Author Topic: Spiral Mixer  (Read 16360 times)

Offline Matthew

Re: Spiral Mixer
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2010, 07:30:19 PM »
Nice videos!  Is this mixer similar to the Globe SP5?

To my knowledge the Globe SP5 is a planetary not a spiral.  I could be wrong though.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2010, 07:32:38 PM »
Matt I remember Marco posting a link for a small fork mixer. I think it was a countertop one, but very expensive.

David,
I don't recall that post.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2010, 08:30:40 PM »
"I'm not sure I understand the 2nd question"

i was just wondering if there might be other small mixers like your SP5 that would be appropriate for home use, perhaps of diving arm or fork type. 
Bill

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2010, 11:23:55 PM »
I couldn't find the post on the small diving arm mixer even though I know for a fact he posted it. I did find this though and thought you(Matt) would like what Marco has to say about diving arm vs fork. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3722.msg32320.html#msg32320

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2010, 02:16:30 AM »
yes guys, beware, there are two sp5 mixers.   one is a planetary mixer and the other one is an imported italian spiral mixer.  the one you want is the spiral!     

Offline Matthew

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2010, 03:31:11 AM »
"I'm not sure I understand the 2nd question"

i was just wondering if there might be other small mixers like your SP5 that would be appropriate for home use, perhaps of diving arm or fork type. 
Bill

I did own a Santos Fork Mixer for a very short time last year.  After a few uses I decided that it wasn't for me & sold it.  Bill has had his Santos mixer for quite some time now & make some phenomenal doughs with it.  The countertop version of a diving arms although I've never seen one will likely still be quite large & very expensvie.  In my opinion, overkill for a hobby baker & more suited for commercial use.  The Santos & SP5 are also commercially rated unit but work well in a household kitchen.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 03:43:24 AM by Matthew »

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2010, 09:16:26 AM »
I found this when searching for Santos Mixer:  reply 14 > http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1258.0.html
is that the Santos that you had before?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2010, 09:36:17 AM »
I found this when searching for Santos Mixer:  reply 14 > http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1258.0.html
is that the Santos that you had before?

Yes.  It is also the one that Bill uses.

Matt

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2010, 09:49:19 AM »
The Santos mixer looks like a member of the Droid army from SW.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2010, 09:52:39 AM »
Matt, I'm sorry to ask so many questions, and thanks for your time!  can you compare the santos to your new SP5?  and why the santos didn't work for you?  i have to say that thing is really appealing. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2010, 09:59:55 AM »
I couldn't find the post on the small diving arm mixer even though I know for a fact he posted it.

David,

Is this the Marco (pizzanapoletana) post you were looking for: Reply 13 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1748.msg15661/topicseen.html#msg15661 ?

Peter

Offline Matthew

« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2010, 03:02:42 PM »
Matt, I'm sorry to ask so many questions, and thanks for your time!  can you compare the santos to your new SP5?  and why the santos didn't work for you?  i have to say that thing is really appealing. 
. In all fairness I did not really give the Santos a chance. It requires constant adjustment of the bowl tension as the bowl spins on friction & it is not automatic. I also found that it required to much help to properly mix smaller batches. The biggest thing for me is that it's very large.

Matt
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 07:25:30 PM by Matthew »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2010, 07:15:28 PM »
Because of all of the factors you have to "learn" to be able to use this mixer properly there is lots of room for inconsistency.   I have made amazing dough with the santos, and then the next time, trying to do everything exactly like I did the time before, the dough would turn out to be sub par.   I spent at least 5 months using it a few times a week, and still couldn't get to the point where I was making consistent pies.  The santos mixer only has one speed, and that speed is double the slow speed of an italian fork mixer, so the window of optimum mixing is very small.  I think one minute extra or not enough on this machine can make or break a batch.   Between all the babysitting you have to do with this mixer, the high price, waiting for months to have one imported, and the fact that most of my batches in it were not top quality, I give this one a big thumbs down.   Having said all that, I think that if you are really really good at mixing dough, and don't mind standing over the thing for the whole mix, It can make an excellent dough for some people, just not me.  I look at SFNM's pies and they are all gorgeous, and I haven't heard any talk from him of bad batches.   I know if I put all my ingredients into a spiral mixer, or even my bosch mixer, I can come back 8 minutes later and the dough is perfect and the same every time.  If the batch turns out bad it is almost always because I f.....d up the rise, or some other factor like that.  It should also be known that forum member scpizza has modified his santos to run at half speed.   I think that all my issues with the santos were because it was running so fast, and if it were running at the right (italian) speed, this would be an amazing mixer.   Of course you would still have the variable of having to stand by it and make sure the bowl is rotating at the right speed, which is another hurdle you don't have to deal with with a typical commercial italian fork mixer.     

If I were to be able to choose between the sp5 spiral mixer and the santos, I would definitely go with the sp5.  If I owned a pizzeria and had the extra cash around, I would go for a pietroberto fork mixer.   Unfortunately their smallest model is still to big to use in a home setting.   
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 07:18:59 PM by scott r »

Offline DonC

« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2010, 12:33:26 PM »
I'm a commercial/industrial electrician and I'm guessing it didn't come with a plug because in a commercial setting it'd be hardwired into a disconnect switch per electrical code.
I road Harleys back in the 70's,both of the pics are nice looking scooters!! I've still got an old BMW in storage but it just doesn't feel like a Harley! Got a great deal on it but have hardly ridden it.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2010, 08:34:36 AM »
A short video mixing a 77% hydration dough.

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2010, 08:40:04 AM »
A short video mixing a 77% hydration dough.

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for taking a video of your dough mixing in your mixer.  Your dough really looks great!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2010, 08:42:51 AM »
Matt,

Thanks for taking a video of your dough mixing in your mixer.  Your dough really looks great!  :)

Norma

Thanks Norma

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2010, 09:00:02 AM »
wow Matt, 77% and looking good like that !! what kind of flour ?
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Matthew

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2010, 01:17:46 PM »
wow Matt, 77% and looking good like that !! what kind of flour ?

It's called New Life Pure Gold Flour made from Cdn Hard Spring Wheat.  Like Brazil, all flour made in Canada to be sold in Canada must be enriched, apart from that it is totally additive free.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2011, 05:16:18 PM »
This mixer is incredible except for one thing; no breaker bar.  I got a little creative & solved that problem.  I guess some people are never happy.  :-[  We'll see how it goes when I mix up a batch this weekend.

Matt

pizzapan