Author Topic: Interesting Deep Dish Crust characteristic...  (Read 1887 times)

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Interesting Deep Dish Crust characteristic...
« on: November 07, 2010, 09:15:29 PM »
...I don't remember seeing before.

Notice the pitting in the crust.  Is this as a result of the dough rising for a time in the pan?  I've got to believe that's the only way this happens.  It seems the very top of the edge is without this pitting as maybe it was pinched down during prep.  I can't for the life of me remember seeing this but it looks fantastic.  This might be the best pic of a deep dish pizza I've ever seen.  The crunch factor, and I know this is on looks alone, seems to be amazing.  I'm not sure where this is from as the magazine is pretty bad at telling you anything about each pic but there is another pic on the page of UNO's neon sign as they discuss Chicago Style deep dish pizza in the text.  Anyone know where this pitting of the crust is done? 

This pic is from "Popular Plates" magazine and their recent "Pizza" issue.  It's on the back cover and also page 10 (I think) in the mag.  This is a photo of the photo, not a scan, using my HTC Incredible so the pic is OK but the vibrant colors have been muted and then reduced even more in the resizing of the pic. 

Loo

Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline BTB

Re: Interesting Deep Dish Crust characteristic...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 12:22:22 PM »
Whatever or however it was made, it looks great.  It would be nice to taste that.  I found their website at http://www.popularplates.com/ but haven't figured out how to search and use the site yet.  I'll need to spend some time with it I guess.  Is that picture available on the website?

--BTB             

Offline loowaters

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
I could not find it on the website, very limited photo section at the site.  Funny thing about even finding the mag.  I quick ran into a convenience store to grab something to drink and after getting back in my car I saw the back of the magazine pressed against the front window.  "Pizza?", I thought.  Ran back into check it out and bought it.  It's to remain on display until 3/3/11 so you should have some time to find it at a newsstand.

Loo

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 07:54:36 PM »
I may be wrong but looking at the crumb makes me think it's a regular bread dough, very light, possible even left to rise in the pan a little?

Offline loowaters

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 08:57:18 PM »
I'm 90% certain it takes a rise in the pan for that to happen.  Of all the tinkering with different formulations for dough recipes around here I don't even know what "regular bread" is anymore. :)

Loo

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 11:05:26 PM »
I consider everything except cracker and deep dish to be a regular bread like dough

Offline BTB

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 02:05:10 PM »
Since I found that I can't really read the articles on that website or see much of the pictures of the things covered in the magazine mentioned above, I was going to order a copy until I saw that delivery of it would take from 4 to 5 weeks.  Instead, while shopping at our local grocery store, Publix, I found a copy of the Popular Plates Pizza edition in the magazine area.  So anyone interested should check in similar places around you.

Very nice and interesting job by Michael and Jane Stern.  I hold them in high regard but wonder how they got such false information to perpetuate the myth of the "cornmeal" imbedded Chicago deep dish pizza in their recipe section, as well as in their description elsewhere of Chicago Style deep dish pizza. The pictures in the magazines are absolutely incredible.  One cannot view them without having their mouth water and their brain telling them to have some pizza.  I have more reading and viewing of it ahead of me.  Thanks for alerting us to it, Loo. 

--BTB

Offline loowaters

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 08:23:11 PM »
Yes, the cornmeal thing...again.  I didn't want to get in to all the content of the mag but you are correct about the Chicago Style section.  Even the recipes in the back call for cornmeal, two different recipes.  Too bad. 

There are great pics all over this magazine.

Loo

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 09:41:13 PM »
I'm sure the big names like giving out 'really good exact' recipes ;)

Offline loowaters

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 02:06:40 PM »
Not expecting that, Mick.  Definitely not.

Loo

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 10:17:47 AM »
I'm 90% certain it takes a rise in the pan for that to happen.  Of all the tinkering with different formulations for dough recipes around here I don't even know what "regular bread" is anymore. :)

Loo

Lou,  Gino's east looks like it rises in the pan, but I din't notice the pitting.  On my home versions, however, I have gotten the pitting even though I don't let mine rise in the pan.  I've never really paied attention as to why I have them or not.  Guess I'll pay more attention next time.
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 08:47:41 AM »
I noticed some of the same characteristics yesterday at Lincolnwood. I tried to take a picture but the pieces of pie just kept disappearing.  The weren't on the same scale at the one pictured but they were there.   

Offline BTB

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 09:28:39 AM »
Did they look like this, Mick?  From one of my earlier visits to the Lincolnwood Malnati's.
                                                            --BTB                       :D

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 09:50:12 AM »
Yeah, that's it.

What size pie is that?  Is it the one above individual?

Offline BTB

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 06:34:52 PM »
That's their small which is a 9".  You need to drop the knife and fork and pick up the camera more often.