Author Topic: what type of stone from a tile supplier is good for pizza  (Read 2582 times)

Chrisl

what type of stone from a tile supplier is good for pizza
« on: March 22, 2005, 11:39:45 AM »
What type of stone do I need to get from a tile outlet to cook pizza and breads on. I went to two stores and they could not help me on deciding on what stone would be the best for the heat. Thank you

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re: what type of stone from a tile supplier is good for pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 01:49:23 PM »
Hi Chris,

For cooking, you want "unglazed quarry tile."  The crucial element of that is "unglazed"--glazed tiles contain chemicals that aren't good to have get into the food you're going to be cooking.

I'd also recommend, if you're looking at high temps, that you get 1/2" thick tiles.  I tried 1/4" thick tiles and they cracked rather easily.

Dave

Stiletto

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 09:33:25 PM »
I tried a soapstone tile the other day, and I preferred the results to my quarry tiles.  It seemed to crisp the crust as much, but did not blacken it as much.  After taking it out of the oven, it held its heat well.

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 10:14:22 PM »
I've read several posts on here and googled posts about using quarry stone or other types of stone in lieu of a retail pizza stone.   I too, have thrown at least 3 of those thin pizza stones away because they either cracked or exploded. 

I read that several people are in favor of using tiles because of cost.   After reading more and more on it, I've changed my mind about using them.  I don't think there's anyway to prove that quarry tiles don't have something toxic in them.  I've heard rumors of lead, or other items such as binders that act as a glue to keep the stuff together.   

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I would have piece of mind if I bought something specifically intended for food cooking.  I googled more and found a thick stone (1" and another 7/8")  for about $30 plus shipping.   

Does anyone else have reservations about using something that's not intended for food? 

Here's the link to the stone I'm talking about

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/317/Pizza_Stones.htm

Mark
"Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke"......
  "And some white toast..."  Jake & Elwood

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 01:27:43 PM »
I believe that cordierite is the material of choice for commercial deck ovens. I believe you can buy pieces of cordierite for your home oven.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline LowRent

• 'za apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 02:36:59 PM »
...I bought something specifically intended for food cooking.  I googled more and found a thick stone (1" and another 7/8")  for about $30 plus shipping.   

Here's the link to the stone I'm talking about

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/317/Pizza_Stones.htm

Mark

Mark,
I've been debating this too.  Not so much for the reasons you listed, though they crossed my mind, but because I'm tired of juggling several smaller quarry tiles in and out of the oven.  I've have had occasional problems with the ridges between the various pieces being a little problem when the pie is slid in and the dough still soft... depends on the dough.

That 1" thick stone for $30 looks like a great deal.  I'm ordering one, along with a few other things. 

I'd been to that site recently looking for something else.  I just hadn't thought to look there for pizza stones.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 09:50:09 AM »
The only reason a stone would be cracking or exploding is because the item placed on it is cold. Whether it is fresh or frozen pizza, you should let it get to (at least)room temperature before putting it on the stone. This can take time with frozen pizza, so what I do sometimes is take a long sheet of foil, fold it over 3-4 times, oil it lightly, place the frozen pie on it, and then put it directly on a stovetop burner, put it on high for about 10-15 seconds. Repeat 4-5 times, just to get the chill out of the crust, and that should do the trick.

Offline pizzamagic

• I Hate Bad Pizza!
    • ScottBergerPhotography
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 08:51:14 PM »
I replaced my generic pizza stone with a FibraMent stone. They work very well once you break it in as the instructions tell you to. Preheat at 500 degrees for an hour and every crust is crispy, everytime.
http://www.bakingstone.com/
Best Regards,
Scott