Author Topic: Stanliaus SuperDolce canned Pizza Sauce  (Read 8359 times)

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
Re: Stanliaus SuperDolce canned Pizza Sauce
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 02:23:53 PM »
If you add Herbs you should saute in oil first to sterilize them.  Otherwise you can introduce bacteria to the factory sterilized tomato.

Bob

Bob
Never considered that.  I always use dried herbs and they do get heated to just under 160f using November's MAE process.  I wonder if that might make a diff. 
I would imagine with a fully prepared sauce like the Stanislaus with nothing user added that would not apply.  Sounds like another experiment may be in order.
Tran?.....

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 02:31:46 PM »
It's in the works Pizzahog. I usually don't sauté herbs either but it sounds like a good tip. Bob is full of them.  I do have some unsauteed spiced sauce from several days ago. I'll make new sauce for tonights pies and bag the spiced sauce up for taste testing a month from now. I'll be careful though and not taste it if it seems spoiled.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 08:33:39 PM »
It's misleading to call this stuff "pizza sauce." As the manufacturer notes, it's really pizza sauce BASE. I've made pies with Stanislaus sauce, straight from the can (diluted), and they were pretty good, but you are expected to add things to it.

A more accurate label would be "tomato paste with basil."

The unfortunate thing about the "pizza sauce" label is that it steers people away from using these wonderful products as bases for pasta sauce.

I used to love Super Dolce, but my local store ran out of it one day, and I ended up switching to Saporito.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 09:16:56 PM »
It's misleading to call this stuff "pizza sauce." As the manufacturer notes, it's really pizza sauce BASE. I've made pies with Stanislaus sauce, straight from the can (diluted), and they were pretty good, but you are expected to add things to it.

A more accurate label would be "tomato paste with basil."

The unfortunate thing about the "pizza sauce" label is that it steers people away from using these wonderful products as bases for pasta sauce.

I used to love Super Dolce, but my local store ran out of it one day, and I ended up switching to Saporito.

I absolutely agree.  It's really just a really d@mn good THICK as hell tomato paste with basil which you can use for sauce.  It really should be diluted some as it's really thick.   But then again Puzzolento, some of the members here prefer a sauce with nothing more than a pinch of sea salt.  So technically it can be called a sauce.   But it would make a great base as well for most any other sauce. 

So Puzzolento, you like the Saporito better or just b/c it's readily available?

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 06:21:04 PM »
I used to like Super Dolce better, but after I was forced to try Saporito again, I found I preferred it. I can't explain it.

You know pizza. Nothing makes sense.

Got a case of Saporito in my truck right now, and I brought a gallon of Saporito-based sauce home from church today so I can freeze it. When it gets too old to keep, it's either throw it out, or stock up for the freezer!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »
If anyone lives near Hudson, NY, Ginsberg restaurant supply has a cash n carry store on RT.66 that sells many of the Stanislaus brands in the 6 1/2lb. cans for about $5.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 08:39:16 PM »
Wish I could get their stuff locally without paying shipping.  :-D

Just taste tested the super dolce against a can of Cento crush tomatoes.  No comparison.  The SD was a lot better.  I use to think the Cento stuff was pretty decent and maybe it is, but you get spoiled after eating the stanilaus stuff.

Offline Pizza Pig

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 09:14:10 PM »
All I can say is WOW. Super Dolce with basil is awesome! I tried a spoonful and it was sweet as candy. Tried it straight up on pizza and the acid became super concentrated. I will dilute next time. Made some pasta sauce for sausage and rigatoni. Added some water and spices. I will never go back to the normal, everyday, canned tomatoes and the like.  :chef:

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 09:25:50 PM »
All I can say is WOW. Super Dolce with basil is awesome! I tried a spoonful and it was sweet as candy. Tried it straight up on pizza and the acid became super concentrated. I will dilute next time. Made some pasta sauce for sausage and rigatoni. Added some water and spices. I will never go back to the normal, everyday, canned tomatoes and the like.  :chef:

I just finished my first 7lb can.  My favorite way to use SD is to dilute cold bottled water and just add ganji dante oregano.  That's it!  Good stuff.  I have a bunch of other great sauces and tomatoes to go through.  If you need to store the leftover sauce/paste, I would recommend freezing it in little snack size ziplock bags and just thaw out before using.

Here's a little test  I just did on storage of tomato pastes and sauces.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11161.0.html

Offline Spurkey

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 10:00:36 PM »

Most pizza shops dilute the heavy pizza sauce/paste can with one can of water per can of sauce.

Offline albert6500

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2010, 02:28:11 PM »
Jackie.....Tried the SD last night. Have to say it's better than the 6 in 1's, but not quite what I was looking for. As was the case with the 6 in 1's, much of the initial tomato flavor escaped.  After reading about the other Stanislaus products, the Pizzaiolo definitely seems worth a try. Somewhere there is an answer as to how to retain the tomatoey flavor. I am painfully aware of the heat factor in tomato flavor loss, but we can't bake pizzas at 200 degrees!  ::)   Here in Michigan there are four pizza stores/restaurants famous for such a sauce, Buddy's, Shields, Louie's, and Buscemi's. Would be open to committing a major crime for the recipe. ;D         

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2010, 03:34:26 PM »
Albert, was it too sweet for you?  I need to try my other Stanilaus stuff, but everyone I've fed the SD to liked it quite a bit.  Sorry I couldn't be of further help. 

Chau

Offline albert6500

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2010, 09:39:22 PM »
Jackie...neither the sweetness nor the consistency were the problem, both were fine, in fact I even enhanced it with a little sugar and salt.  The sauce seemed to lose much of the rich tomato flavor it had when I first made it, though not as bad as the 6 in 1's.  I am convinced  one of these Stanislaus products will give me what I am looking for because the pizzeria whose sauce I am trying to replicate says on their website that their sauce is made from "high quality Stanislaus tomatoes".  Next up for me is the Pizzaiolo because it sounds promising and Jackie, your postings have been extremely helpful.  Best..............Al

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2010, 05:34:03 PM »
What did you think of the La Bella San Marzano?

Do you remember?

I can get them for around $2.99 each. 

Offline albert6500

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, 12:11:25 AM »
Just tried the Pizzaiolo sauce. Don't know what seasonings they used, but I must say it tasted nothing like a tomato! >:( So far the SD is the clear cut leader IMO. Even though the SD is supposed to be a 'prepared' sauce, I see it as more of a good sauce base that gives you the flexibility of creating a 'signature' sauce.  I am not after anything complex, just a distinct tomato flavor on the finished product.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2010, 01:10:49 PM »
What did you think of the La Bella San Marzano?

Do you remember?

I can get them for around $2.99 each. 

Sorry MC, I haven't been keeping up with this thread.  It took me a really long time to go through the big can of SD since I have to dilute it quite a bit.  I'm almost through the 6 n 1's now and will open up either the La Belle, La VAlle, or the Alta Cuchinas next.  I haven' t decided but it will be tomatoes instead of sauce.  I'll post my impressions once I do.

The 6n1s are very good, different from the SD.  They make a great sauce and I can see why they would be so popular for deep dish or pasta dishes.  They do have bits of the peel in them.  For the $, the SD would  be a better value since they require so much dilution, they last quite a bit longer, and have a stronger tomato flavor.  I dilute the 6n1's just a bit but they don't require much water at all if any.   Both have been awesome.  My only regret is that I haven't been able to source them locally without paying PennMac's hefty shipping costs.  But even with the shipping costs added in, they are a value in my eyes.  I simply can not find tomatoes/products that even come close to the quality or value of these from PennMac even with the shipping. 

Chau

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2010, 02:20:01 PM »
Hey Jackie Tran, have you tried ordering 6 in 1's right from the company? I get 6 28oz. cans from them for I think about $16.50. Look them up on line, the company is called escalon.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 03:30:03 PM »
I'll crack the tin of Bella I have tonight and let you know.

Thanks for replying.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 03:31:04 PM »
Hey Jackie Tran, have you tried ordering 6 in 1's right from the company? I get 6 28oz. cans from them for I think about $16.50. Look them up on line, the company is called escalon.

Thank you. I will make a note of that.

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2010, 08:33:09 PM »
Hmmmm -

Just passed these up at the store the other day in favor of trying some whole peeled tomatoes, but now I'm thinking that it's a good deal.  I was excited because the wholesale place near me (Corrado's in Clifton, NJ) has 6 in 1s and such for about $5/can, but I thought it was so huge I wouldn't be able to make use of it.  Did you find that it kept well in your ziploc bags?  How long did you store them in the fridge/freezer for?

Sean

pizzapan