Author Topic: Kitchen Aid Pro 600 experience  (Read 3060 times)

Offline steel_baker

Kitchen Aid Pro 600 experience
« on: February 27, 2010, 02:14:05 PM »
I'm in the market for a good powerful mixer to mix up triple batches of dough at a time for my Sicilian pizza. I borrowed a neighbor's KA Pro 600 with dough hook and set about mixing up a batch using 10 cups of bread flour at 65% hydration. My experience:

1. The mixer really did throw flour everywhere, what a mess.

2. It got to within 2 minutes of finishing the kneading and then the thermal overload protection shut it off. I finished the kneading of the 5-1/2 lb dough ball by hand.

It definitely was struggling trying to knead this dough and I was expecting it to shut itself off at some point. So it looks right in line with all of the comments that I've read here and in other forums. I need something more powerful than a KA for sure.

Given the fact that I just need to be able to make larger batches of dough, I'm leaning toward the DLX.

steel_baker
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Re: Kitchen Aid Pro 600 experience
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 04:02:03 PM »
1200 g is a lot of flour.  but 65% hydration is pretty high.

i would think more like 1000 g would be safer.
Patrick

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 04:09:46 PM »
It is a lot of flour but I need (3) 1.8 lb dough balls for the trays of Sicilian pizza that I make every week. I'm currently using a breadmaker to make 1 ball at a time. It's quite a pain plus the breadmaker doesn't really knead it all that well.

The KA users manual states that it can handle 14 cups of flour at 60% hydration.... seems pretty optimistic to me.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 04:33:17 PM »
what speed were you using?? Per manual, bread should not be mixed over speed #2 or that is exactly what will happen, it'll walk right off the counter. That's the only time I've seen this, is when trying to mix too fast. There is also a plastic shield that can be used for over shoot/spray etc. that also has a pouring trough built into it.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 04:37:44 PM »
i also will very briefly mix the dry ingredients by hand with a spoon and let them absorb for a while, this helps a lot with flour going everywhere.

i always thought 14 cups meant it could mix 14 cups of dry flour.  those flour power ratings never seem right otherwise.
Patrick

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 05:07:54 PM »
Used speed #2. There was a big sticker on the dough hook indicating not to use any other speed.

Offline old criter

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 05:34:25 PM »
While I use the 600 Pro, the amount of flour I use for pizza making and home use doesn't require mixing such large quantities of flour. I might suggest you start looking at a small (10-20 qt) commercial/industrial mixer.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 11:49:22 AM »
While I use the 600 Pro, the amount of flour I use for pizza making and home use doesn't require mixing such large quantities of flour. I might suggest you start looking at a small (10-20 qt) commercial/industrial mixer.
How about a Bosch universal. The newer model says up to 15 lbs. of dough can be mixed. I have the older one and it's a workhorse.

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 12:28:26 PM »
Actually, the Bosch Universal Plus & DLX are my top 2 but I'm leaning toward the DLX. The testimonials and videos for both have been quite good but I like not having a spindle in the middle of the bowl like the DLX. It means I can mix up a batch, leave it in the mixing bowl, put the cover on it, and stick away in a warm corner somewhere to rise.

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 02:04:42 PM »
Well I made my decision and actually ended up purchasing the Bosch Univeral Plus with the stainless steel bowl. Got it today and can't wait to make my first tray's worth of pizza dough for this evening. Got my new 3-1/2" high steel pans and have been thoroughly seasoning them since last evening. After continuing to research both the Bosch & DLX, the versatility of the Bosch and the testimonials on the quality of the dough it turns out swayed me in that direction. I realized that I was getting a good dough machine with the DLX but maybe that was it. My wife would need to be able to mix cookie dough, whip egg whites, etc and it appeared that the Bosch was much better suited for this type of work.

Should be good.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 04:25:21 PM »
My mom uses my DLX all the time to make pastry dough along with cake batter and a lot of other stuff. I don't see the advantage of using the Bosch over the DLX for cookies, cakes, pastry or anything else. The only things I have read where people talk about liking the Bosch over the DLX is about pizza/bread dough.

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 04:33:19 PM »
Many of the testimonials I read on the two machines said that the DLX was a great dough mixer but was less effective with smaller batches of ingredients. I watched some demos of the two machines together on You Tube and I was sold. Nothing wrong with the DLX, the Bosch just seemed to shine through as a more versatile machine for my needs.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 05:15:47 PM »
Plus the Bosch is about $200 less correct?  I am about to buy a Bosch myself, so I'm looking forward to your initial impressions.

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 05:50:38 PM »
Yes, the Bosch is considerably less money. Making the first tray tonight and the dough (69% hydration) is like silk, just amazing.

The dough is making the final rise in the pan now and it'll go into the oven in another 45 minutes.

Steel_Baker

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 08:27:28 PM »
I do 1000G in the KA 500 but yes a touch messy and I have to stay with it with a spatula or it creeps up and over the hook now thats a real mess!!.
I am going Bosch !! Large Batches are (caputo 65%) King I make 15 -20 pies  almost everytime I fire the oven. But 2-3 batches  turns me off !I'll keep the ole ka 500 around for pasties for Mama.
Please share clean up details of the bosch with us. Oh and where did you purchase $399 free ship or is the stainlesss bowl extra?
Thanks
john
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 12:28:15 AM »
This what I purchased. It's already gone up $10 in price since I ordered mine last week.

http://foryourkitchen.com/products/Bosch_Universal_Plus_Mixer_With_New_Style_Stainless_Steel_Bowl_MUM6NNSS-1202-9.html

The first batch of dough which was just a single tray of pizza and was only 4-1/2 cups of flour came out amazing. It was absolutely the best quality dough I've ever made and is far above what I was doing before mixing by hand or using the breadmaker dough cycle.

Steel_Baker

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 07:55:16 AM »
Please share clean up details of the bosch with us. Oh and where did you purchase $399 free ship or is the stainlesss bowl extra?
Thanks
john

I got my DLX from here and it came in fast. The shipping is free and they have a lot of acc. you can buy as well. The Bosch is $399/free s&h, they have 3 kinds of bowls but I think the one you want is the $139, it comes with a lid and locking tabs. http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/Bosch_Universal_Plus_Mixer_MUM6N10UC.aspx

Offline sear

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 12:21:16 PM »
ive been pretty impressed with my food pro for making dough
i end up with about 2 lbs of kneaded dough in 4 minutes. (20oz flour)

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-2011CHB-Processor-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B0014172J6/?tag=pizzamaking-20

you would have to do single batches but i think you could crank out 3 in 20 minutes (time added for additional measuring)

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 12:32:15 PM »
Finally bought a Bosch Universal Plus a few weeks ago. Couldn't be happier with it. Got the stainless steel bowl with it. The dough comes out like silk, so smooth and the crumb on my crusts has been amazing.

steel_baker

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 01:01:11 PM »
A good tip for the Kitchen Aid is to let the dough sit for 20-30 minutes before mixing.  It pretty much eliminates flying flour.
Patrick