Author Topic: Bakers Table  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Matthew

Bakers Table
« on: May 07, 2010, 03:21:16 PM »
Apart from pizza, my other hobby is woodworking.  I just finished making this baker's table for the kitchen in my basement. (Where I make all the mess):chef:
The truth of the matter is that I had to prove to my wife that I actually knew how to use all those expensive tools that I bought  :P

Matt
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:22:48 PM by Matthew »

Offline Guts

Re: Bakers Table
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 04:06:57 PM »
Matt that sure is a nice looking table. I picked up a S/S table at restraint depot for $162.00 it was 30"x48"
Were you able to build your table for under that. And Please I Do Not mean any disrespect to you, just a question.
Kim

Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline PizzaNick

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 04:19:09 PM »
Very nice table.  now this "kitchen in the basement"?  this like a spare kitchen for testing, tasting, etc??  cause if so...im sooo jealous!  hahaaha

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 04:36:24 PM »
Matt that sure is a nice looking table. I picked up a S/S table at restraint depot for $162.00 it was 30"x48"
Were you able to build your table for under that. And Please I Do Not mean any disrespect to you, just a question.
Kim

Hi Kim,
I have a similar table to yours that I keep outside (30" x60" SS with a 4" splash) that I also picked up from a restaurant supply that I shape & dress my Neapolitan pies prior to loading them in the WFO.  This one is for inside & will serve a different purpose (dough preparation & proofing, bread proofing & pastry.  I wanted to build one similar to the DNB by John Boos (http://www.johnboos.com/food_service/products.cfm?category=jbc0006).  All it cost me was the rough lumber that I cut planed & joined.  I had the height adjustable legs from an old desk.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 04:41:45 PM »
Very nice table.  now this "kitchen in the basement"?  this like a spare kitchen for testing, tasting, etc??  cause if so...im sooo jealous!  hahaaha

Yes it is.  I prep everything in the basement & then bring everything outside (except the dough) & put it all in my outdoor fridge.  I leave the dough inside until the oven is at the right temperature & then bring it out last.

Matt

Offline Guts

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 07:29:27 PM »
Matt
I work with wood also and I must say you did a good with the surface getting it flat, hard to do with out a drum sander. And thanks for taking my post in a positive way as I meet it to be :)
Boo'sŪ a very well made product.
Kim
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 07:41:51 PM »
Matt
I work with wood also and I must say you did a good with the surface getting it flat, hard to do with out a drum sander. And thanks for taking my post in a positive way as I meet it to be :)
Boo'sŪ a very well made product.
Kim

Thanks Kim,
Absolutely no offense taken my friend.  I used a jointer to square up the sides & then a thickness planer for the top of the boards.  After the glue set I crosscut the ends to square them off & ran my router around the perimeter with a chamfer bit.  I finshed it off with an orbital sander starting at 80 grit & worked my way up to 220.  I nailed the splash all around, filled all the nail holes & gave it a light sanding. I finished it off with 2 coats of mineral oil.

Matt

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 11:22:02 PM »
Sick table, you got a whole test kitchen, now all we need to see is that mixer in action and some results ;D.

pizzapan