Author Topic: Anybody here think a dirty oven makes better pizza?  (Read 2637 times)

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Anybody here think a dirty oven makes better pizza?
« on: March 22, 2005, 12:54:22 PM »
I was just curious how everybody cleans their oven and what kind of tastes they noted after cleaning their oven.  I put a pan under the heating element on my electric oven and let it catch the drippings.  Once a month or so I'll clean the racks but that's about it.  Not that I'm a lazy slob or something but I find that an oven cleaned with oven cleaner imparts a bad taste to foods cooked in it  immediately after cleaning.  It probably is the same concept as seasoning a BBQ smoker right when you get it from the factory to cook off the paint toxins used to paint the inside of the smoker.  I actually think the longer you go without cleaning the oven, the better the pizza.  Also, my pizzas taste better when the wife doesn't use the oven for things like roast beef and pork in between the times I make my pizzas.
Thoughts?

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
Re: Anybody here think a dirty oven makes better pizza?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 03:34:59 PM »
I would have to agree about not cooking other foods in it.  I never have to "clean" my oven since I have it cranked up so high all the time.  ;D  Everything just turns into black char and I wipe it out of the oven.  I made a pizza late last night and had smoke rolling from this, I just used a spatula to scrape it out since the oven was already so hot.

I have only used oven cleaner one time, probably about 10 years ago or so.  It's nasty  :-\
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 08:12:10 PM »
Since I crank my oven up to 800+ for the pizza, it's pretty close to running it on clean every time. It's spotless.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 09:46:40 PM »
I was on travel, visiting my friend and promised to make my one of my famous pizzas.
The oven was obviously from the late 50's or so and looked as though it had never been cleaned.

I spent a day scrubbing it to get it to "acceptable". But residue still remained.

The oven smoked like crazy when I cranked it up,
 BUT MAN
the pizza was infused with a such a wonderful smokey flavor, that we really enjoyed.

Not willing to let my oven go, just for smoky flavor LOL!
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.