Author Topic: Drive-In Theatre Pizza  (Read 11132 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Drive-In Theatre Pizza
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2010, 06:43:27 PM »
crazybob,

The uses for pizza dough are endless.  If you are interested in seeing some of the things I did with my dough, you can start here. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg98110.html#msg98110

Sorry to hear about your dough. When it is hot and humid, there also can be more problems.Even if you get a final dough temperature that is okay and manage you dough well, when the dough is set out for a warm-up you have to watch so it doesnít overproof.  You might also have to lower your final dough temperature for warmer weather or decrease the amount of yeast you use.  Itís great to hear you found other uses for your dough.  You are creative.  :chef:  Hot dogs wrapped in dough would be something like soft pretzels wrapped in dough.  When I had a funnel cake stand at market, I also made fried oreos and Twinkies out of my funnel cake batter.  They were great, too. 

If you need any help if your dough keeps overfermenting, let me know.

Best of luck,

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2010, 08:49:49 PM »
Joe,

Here is the latest on cross-stack times, from a post by Tom Lehmann at the Pizza Today forum:

Typically, with dough weights of up to 12-ounces, 2-hours cross stack time is sufficient. If the dough weights are up to 20-ounces 2.5 to 3-hours is more appropriate, and if the dough weights are over 20-ounces, a 4-hour cross stack time is better.

Peter

Offline crazybob

• Mom & Pop
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2010, 11:52:43 AM »
Thanks! I appreciate you nice folks for helping get through my on the job trainning. I get so busy with all of the other things happening, I don't give you enough details. Duirng the off season, I can devote more effort.

Last night, I wrapped a dill pickle with my dough & dusted it with corn meal, & into the fryer. ..I put a stick in it & call it a Pickle Sickle.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2010, 11:57:01 AM »
Thanks! I appreciate you nice folks for helping get through my on the job trainning. I get so busy with all of the other things happening, I don't give you enough details. Duirng the off season, I can devote more effort.

Last night, I wrapped a dill pickle with my dough & dusted it with corn meal, & into the fryer. ..I put a stick in it & call it a Pickle Sickle.

crazybob,

Your Pickle Sickle looks great!

Great to hear you are doing well,  ;D

Norma

Offline crazybob

• Mom & Pop
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2010, 03:32:26 PM »
Hi, gang! It's going pretty good here. I have memorized the recipes. I did a minor tweeking, but it works for me. I use 6lbs of water (includes weight of plastic container), 10lbs of hi-gluten flour(w/container), 4Tbs salt, 5Tbs sugar, 2tsp. IDY, 3Tbs evvo.I get 15lbs of dough, so I make 15 16oz. dough balls. That's 75 pizzas per 50lb. bag. I'm using over a bag a week. We can use the dough, right out of the cooler, if nessesary. I even used it in less than 4 hous after making it(had to). Plus we have everything from corndogs, to funnel cakes on our menu! Thanks so much for Pizza Making...Making us more successful!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2010, 04:23:03 PM »
crazybob,

Great to hear you are having success with your pizza and other food items.  ;D  Keep us all posted on how you are doing,

Have a great summer,

Norma

Offline crazybob

• Mom & Pop
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2010, 05:04:54 PM »
These people up here love the bubbles!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2010, 07:30:01 PM »

Bob,

As you can see from Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7362.msg63551/topicseen.html#msg63551, working with cold dough is the number one cause of bubbling in the finished crust.

Peter

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2010, 11:11:42 PM »

I love bubbles, too!  ;)

Nice work, Bob.  Looks great.  I wish you were in closer proximity to me so I could come by and try a slice.

Thanks for keeping us up to date on your progress.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline crazybob

• Mom & Pop
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2010, 06:10:41 PM »
Well it got so busy here with running the vintage projectors, & all, that I hired a real chef to make pizza, & execute my  large menu. He is a culinary grad, & has met Wolfgang Puck, Emeral LaGasse, & Guy Ferieri. He's 25 & just starting a family. He was working long days at a local pizzeria/Italian restaurant.  He's still goes to school, P/T. He makes great dough, with consistence. He made us a "off the hook", cheese steak Stromboli, last night!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2010, 07:21:22 PM »
crazybob,

Great to hear you were able to hire a real chef.  :)  Be sure to watch what he is doing, when you have time.  You could learn a lot from him. 

Norma

Offline crazybob

• Mom & Pop
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2010, 11:20:23 AM »
Thanks, Norma. You are one sweet lady! The chef is teaching me & my helpers alot! We just switched our food service over to Reinhart's, & now we are getting Balancer Flour again.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2010, 11:47:53 AM »
crazybbob,

Thatís great the chef is teaching you and your helpers, a lot.  ;D  Keep us informed how your Drive-In-Theatre is doing.  I really loved going to them in the past and if one was still around our area, I would go there occasionally.  At least your business sounds like it has a lot better food than I remember. Keep us fill-in on your chefs pizzas and how people are responding to them.  :pizza:

Norma

Offline crazybob

• Mom & Pop
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2010, 08:40:24 PM »
Well the Chef went home sick on our busiest night. saying that he had heart trouble. He told me the next day that he had to go to the hospital & was released & ready to come back to work. I told him that I wanted a doctor's note to come back to work. I called a few days later, & he said that he didn't have the note yet. ..Now I'm back to making all of the dough. It's really pretty easy now, so I'm saving some dough.

The 16oz balls go directly into glad bowls, then right into the cooler. They come out cold & stretch great! Thanks, Bob.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2010, 12:53:21 AM »
crazybob,

Sorry to hear your Chef left you on your busiest night.  I am glad you are able to make your own dough and it is working out for you. You will save some dough since you already know how to make the dough.  ;D

Best of luck,

Norma

Offline crazybob

• Mom & Pop
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2010, 01:23:26 PM »
Thanks, Norma! I had somebody ask for white pizza, made with feta cheese. I didn't have any. My wife bought some yesterday, & it's not cheap. I searched around & I see that you occasionally tinker with white pizza. I'm still in the tinkering mode, but my 14" cheese pizza, for 9.99, is becoming a staple around here(thanks to this forum). Bob.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2010, 01:57:32 PM »
crazybob,

White pizzas are great in my opinion.  :)  Here is a thread where different forum members gave me ideas for white pizzas.  My favorite is a Buffalo White Pizza with white chicken and bacon.  If you want to do a forum search there are a lot of ideas for white pizzas here.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10213.msg89532.html#msg89532   

Tinkering is good and that way you will know what you and your customers will like. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2010, 10:09:40 PM »
Steve (Ev) and I had some unexpected visitors today.  I couldnít believe it was crazybob and his wife, Darlene.  They are the nicest people and we talked a lot about pizza making and their Drive-In Theatre.  Steve and I sure had a great time talking to them.

This is a picture of Bob and Darlene and the pizza we made for them.  I did take some videos of them playing with the dough and when I upload them I will post them here.

What a great couple.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2010, 08:11:51 AM »
These are the two videos of crazybob and Darlene playing around with the dough.  Sorry, I had my camera turned the wrong way, when I took these videos.  Also my memory stick kept running out of space, so I had to keep deleting pictures.  These videos would have been longer if I hadnít ran out of space.
crazybob
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yOPm2zOjvo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yOPm2zOjvo</a>

Darlene
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3lmbJCXXL0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3lmbJCXXL0</a>

crazybob and Darlene were a lot of fun to talk to.  It is amazing to hear all what can go into running a drive-in.

Norma

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2010, 09:17:02 AM »
Wow, what a special treat for you Norma!  Isn't this forum wonderful?  Bringing us together even more than we might have expected. :)

Looks like Bob and Darlene have gained a fair amount of experience already.

Are you going to be able to return the favor and visit their drive-in?
Let them eat pizza.

pizzapan