Author Topic: Ah'Pizz, Montclair, NJ  (Read 4240 times)

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
Ah'Pizz, Montclair, NJ
« on: May 12, 2010, 04:48:32 PM »
A place just opened up in Montclair, NJ, serving Neapolitan-style pizza.  It'll give A Mano a run for its money from what I tasted.

http://ahpizznj.com/

Anyone been yet?

Offline Matthew

Re: Ah'Pizz, Montclair, NJ
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 04:55:38 PM »
A place just opened up in Montclair, NJ, serving Neapolitan-style pizza.  It'll give A Mano a run for its money from what I tasted.

http://ahpizznj.com/

Anyone been yet?

Another SF oven.  His ovens are becoming quite popular in North America.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 09:41:54 PM »
Matt, I agree about the popularity of the SF ovens,  and I am sure that they are great ovens.  The fact that the ovens are UL listed has gotta be huge determining factor in a restaraunts choice,  and may be tipping the scales right now.  Fire code has proven to be a tough issue in some cases,  and can cost some money if approached in the wrong way.  I would like to see all major oven manufacturers all get UL listed,  that would level the playing field a bit.  -marc
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:47:13 PM by widespreadpizza »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 06:05:20 AM »
Matt, I agree about the popularity of the SF ovens,  and I am sure that they are great ovens.  The fact that the ovens are UL listed has gotta be huge determining factor in a restaraunts choice,  and may be tipping the scales right now.  Fire code has proven to be a tough issue in some cases,  and can cost some money if approached in the wrong way.  I would like to see all major oven manufacturers all get UL listed,  that would level the playing field a bit.  -marc

Your right about that.  I have been following Pupatella's blog & it cost them $4,500 to have their oven inspected by UL.

Matt

scott123

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 11:12:15 AM »
In order to be successful selling Neapolitan pizza in the NY metro area, you have to be able to market yourself to foodies/pizza aficionados. That's going to be the word of mouth that drives your business.  You can't just say "Ooh, look at our oven. Isn't our oven wonderful?"  Any idiot can spend tens of thousands on a good oven and still make crap pizza. What's more important to me (and other pizza freaks) is who YOU are and what kind of training YOU've had.

In the 'About Us' section they say absolutely nothing about THEM! In order to get the tiniest glimpse of who these people are, I had to go digging through the reviews:

The closest your going to get to this is Amano in Ridgewood....after a little chatter with the owners, they say they used to work for Amano, and have even gone to Naples to learn to make these pies so authentically.  Personally, I liked the crust better here compared to when I had Amano's pie.

They've EVEN gone to Naples!?! Wow, color me impressed   ::)

Another crucial aspect to pizzeria marketing is photos.  Not only are pictures of their pizzas completely buried, once you do find them, the results are more than a little lackluster (see below).

Don't get me wrong, they might make a half decent pie. Or, like a lot of places, maybe they're working out the kinks/learning the oven and, at some point, will make a decent pie.  If their pies are on par with their marketing skills, though... I don't have a lot of hope.

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 12:34:57 PM »
their website is definitely not so hot.

here's a picture that I took, which I think is better than the one on their website. at least for my sensibilities.  at least you can see the damned thing.

http://www.tommyeats.com/.a/6a00d8345173e969e2013480b79f7d970c-popup

you should try it scott123.  i think you'll like it.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 03:51:20 PM »
In order to be successful selling Neapolitan pizza in the NY metro area, you have to be able to market yourself to foodies/pizza aficionados. That's going to be the word of mouth that drives your business.  You can't just say "Ooh, look at our oven. Isn't our oven wonderful?"  Any idiot can spend tens of thousands on a good oven and still make crap pizza. What's more important to me (and other pizza freaks) is who YOU are and what kind of training YOU've had.

In the 'About Us' section they say absolutely nothing about THEM! In order to get the tiniest glimpse of who these people are, I had to go digging through the reviews:

They've EVEN gone to Naples!?! Wow, color me impressed   ::)

Another crucial aspect to pizzeria marketing is photos.  Not only are pictures of their pizzas completely buried, once you do find them, the results are more than a little lackluster (see below).

Don't get me wrong, they might make a half decent pie. Or, like a lot of places, maybe they're working out the kinks/learning the oven and, at some point, will make a decent pie.  If their pies are on par with their marketing skills, though... I don't have a lot of hope.

Just out of curiosity, why would you rip these guys apart without trying their product first.  I don't think that it's fair to pass judgment & assume that they're pizza is crap because their website is not to your standards.  Pizzeria Bianco is arguably one of the best pizzeria's in the US, have you seen their website?  If your views hold true then Domino's should have the best pizza in the world.  My favorite restaurant doesn't even have a website & there's always lineups a block long. I once asked the owner why, he told me that his priority was to make the best possible food using the best & freshest ingredients not screwing around with a computer.

Matt

scott123

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 05:38:50 PM »
Pizzeria Bianco is arguably one of the best pizzeria's in the US, have you seen their website?

http://www.pizzeriabianco.com/index2.html

1 click to get to a mouthwatering picture of their pies (the 'menu' button) AND the guy's NAME is part of the name of the restaurant.  I don't have to hire a private investigator to figure out who's making the darn pies and what their experience/training is. When you're Chris Bianco, you don't really need an 'About Us' page.

And I'm not really 'ripping them apart.'  I'm ripping their website apart.  By omitting any and all information about the people running the place, the website is basically conveying the message that as long as you know the history of pizza and have a great oven, it doesn't matter who you are. Unless you're Chris Bianco, you need to talk about more than just your oven on your 'About Us' page. I'm not talking about aesthetics here.  It's the most basic of questions "Who Are You?"

I know Tommy from other sites and trust his opinion, so I probably will give it a try, but if the website was all I had to go on, I wouldn't step foot in the door.

Offline NJPizzaiolo

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 08:23:34 PM »
You guys are missing something,Bianco doesnt have to market himself to anyone.The place has been on national Tv shows and was voted best in the U.S..Whether you think its the best or not is not the point,but his concept works for him.

Offline SmokinGuitarPlayer

• Owner of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com
    • Fred's Music & BBQ Supply
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 11:59:06 PM »
What is an "SF oven" ? Is that a oven maker?
Guitar player, dealer and collector. Owner and operator of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com. Seller of barbecue grills and smokers, specializing on the Big Green Egg ceramic grill and all related barbecue cooking supplies...and Wood Fired Ovens and pizza making supplies.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 12:17:05 AM »
What is an "SF oven" ? Is that a oven maker?

http://www.sfallestimenti.it/home2.htm

Stefano Ferrara is a oven builder from the country that looks like a boot.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 07:12:10 AM »
You guys are missing something,Bianco doesnt have to market himself to anyone.The place has been on national Tv shows and was voted best in the U.S..Whether you think its the best or not is not the point,but his concept works for him.

You're absolutely correct.  The point that I was trying to make is that you shouldn't judge how good or bad a restaurant is based on their website.

Matt

Offline NJPizzaiolo

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 03:25:58 PM »
You're absolutely correct.  The point that I was trying to make is that you shouldn't judge how good or bad a restaurant is based on their website.

Matt

Gotcha, you are correct,If you know Chris,he is very simple,from menu to website,thats the concept.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 04:01:46 PM »

Gotcha, you are correct,If you know Chris,he is very simple,from menu to website,thats the concept.

I couldn't agree more. Simplicity never goes out of style. ;)

Matt

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 10:29:07 PM »
 i love the web site ! the pictures of the restaurant and pizza look very appealing . i would try this restaurant if it was closer. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 05:07:50 PM »
I visited Ah Pizz Montclair Last Night as well  ;D
 There was a Guest  Pizziaolo behind the make table all night
place was rockin and rollin whata hoot !
Oh wait  - thats Me !  :chef: I will be there toinight as well, too cold for Mobile so come on out
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 05:16:11 PM »
I visited Ah Pizz Montclair Last Night as well  ;D
 There was a Guest  Pizziaolo behind the make table all night
place was rockin and rollin whata hoot !
Oh wait  - thats Me !  :chef: I will be there toinight as well, too cold for Mobile so come on out
John

you need to give us more notice next time so we can set up a mini crawl

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 10:14:42 PM »
Sorry Deb Didn't think anyone would want to come see me cook a pizza  ???

Saturday was Night #2 for me WOW my pizza muscles are sore !! 180 in about 2.5 hours !! 3 of us and yes slammed ! Really Helps when the oven guy trained in Italy and 4,5-6 pies at a time is nothing ! and the main man slides around doing 3 jobs like clockwork! All in all Very Fun experience for me this weekend Learned a few new pies The Mezza Luna, 1/2 calzone and1/2 pizza. The pesto  pesto base smoked Buffalo and sausage very popular, egg pizza with proscuitto and even a new twist on the Nutella pie :) gotta come in for that one !!  My  plans are to keep checking out this crazy Business Model (No no plans  just research? ) I will Hit-  Amano,  Ah Pizz #2 in Denville, A New Neapolitan place in Madison NJ and another  New Neapolitan quick serve Place in Clifton, and keep my hands covered in flour during the winter months  ;D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com