Author Topic: Potato Cracker Crust results....  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Jackitup

Potato Cracker Crust results....
« on: May 13, 2010, 02:17:32 PM »
Final result, very good. Made 2 pies, 1 dough topped and started on a screen and finished on the stone and 1 par-baked, cooled, topped and finished on the stone. Both pies topped with sauce, onions, black olives, homemade venison sausage and pepperoni. 1st skin was topped as described and started for about 4-5 minutes on a screen in a 550 degree oven with the convection roast mode on then onto the stone for a couple minutes and done. 2nd was par baked same temp and mode for 3-4 minutes, cooled, topped and onto the stone for a couple minutes. The par baked one was the best texturally with both pies tasting very good and topped the same way. Warden Rosie thought the same thing without  knowing which one was the par-baked one. The crust had almost a french fry kind of taste in the background, toasty potato flavor you might say. All and all a good trip. Dough was very soft and easy to roll out, could even drop the H2o down some more maybe to 20%. It was also more active than I thought it would be but not too bad. Maybe a bit more tweaking but not much, I liked it alot.
Jon

Here's the formula again:
Flour       (100%)     
Potato*   (45%)       
H2o        (25%)         
Olive Oil   (4%)       
Salt         (2.4%)     
Sugar      (1.75%)   
Yeast       (.5%)         
*Klondike rose, Red skinned Golden, nuked, cooled and riced     
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:49:05 PM by Jackitup »
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Jackitup

Re: Potato Cracker Crust results....
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 02:19:35 PM »
more pics

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 01:34:55 PM »
The non parbaked one looks the most aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. Any way you could get the parbaked one to look like that?

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 07:40:20 PM »
The non parbaked one looks the most aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. Any way you could get the parbaked one to look like that?

Well I made 2 of them this past Sat. for company and they came out great and looked better than the previous ones. I also dropped the H20 to 20% and the yeast to .4% and the skin was still soft and very easy to work with. Too busy drinking beer and such to remember any pics though ;-) Even though they have had many of my other pies, everyone agreed that they like the cracker style the best and really like these more recent ones. So....a return to my favorite style 'cracker crust' is overdue. Everyone agrees, hard to not like ANY pizza, but a good, well balanced cracker, thin crust is hard to beat. Time to put the NY style away for awhile.
Jon

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 11:56:44 PM »
Jack, you might want to look into replicating Star Tavern from Orange, NJs bar pizza. It's very thin....almost like a cracker crust.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 02:48:02 AM »
We have a joint here in MN, Savoy's Pizza that I try to emulate. I find it the best in the area in my neck of the woods. It's a thin but sturdy crust with 'grown up' toppings, spice and taste. If we go out for pizza that's where we go. 2nd place would be Old World Pizza which is very similar but not quite as zesty/spicy.
Jon

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 10:06:52 PM »
I'm wondering how the dough for the first pie would cook on a grill. Willing to try it?  :chef:

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 10:34:38 PM »
Probably not for a few weeks, knee replacement tomorrow  :( I'll keep it in mind though.
Jon

pizzapan