Author Topic: how to reduce pepperoni grease?  (Read 6071 times)

Offline Squirrelman

how to reduce pepperoni grease?
« on: May 13, 2010, 04:40:19 PM »
 I have tried a few methods and haven't had much success, one was to dip the pepperoni into a cup of boiling water, this worked decently but also removed all of the flavor imo. I think I saw somewhere to microwave the pepperoni itself a few seconds but I don't remember this working well, I could be wrong though. I plan on using semi-thick slices of stick pepperoni on my next pizza but even with thin pepperoni I always seem to have excessive amounts of pepperoni grease, with thicker pepperoni this could be even more of a issue. Last time I sliced stick pepperoni for a pizza I think i just let most of the oil catch in the pizza "cups" and then soaked most of the grease out with paper towels, but it doesn't work very well and the extra grease tends to make it harder to get the crust right too. so does anyone have any other methods that have worked for reducing the greasyness of pepperoni without losing much of its flavor?

Offline Guts

Re: how to reduce pepperoni grease?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 06:32:21 PM »
The way I do it; I put it on frozen, right out of the freezer.
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 06:53:47 PM »
Try this out. Here's a link I posted awhile back.
Jon

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9643.0.html
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 07:29:56 PM »
Both Jack's methods he posted work well.  You can also throw the pep in any kind of pan and put it in the oven as it is preheating, it will release grease and even fry itself.  How much heat and how long , a little or a lot, just depends on your pep and what you prefer in the end.
My preference at the moment is to nuke it between paper towels but only for about 10-20 seconds depending on batch size.  Press out some grease, let it cool some, then repeat as necs.  This seems to extract a lot of grease without altering it much.  If done correctly, the pep remains pretty much unchanged except the chunks of fat go away and even leave little voids where they were.  The idea is not to let the pep temp exceed 140f.  Over that, changes take place.  This method is courtesy of RedNovember.
On the other hand, sometimes I heat the heck out of it.  Bacon-ey, crispy, sorta hollows out and gets light, just a little black on the edges.  So good it deserves it's own name.  I vote for "pizzaiolo's candy".  I can only do this when I am alone in the kitchen or it will never make it onto the pie.   

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 07:40:01 PM »
Hey now "pizzaiolo's candy" brings me to think pig candy, which for those that don't know is baked, brown sugar coated bacon. Now why wouldn't that be good on pepperoni. A new experiment I smell coming for this pizza Jedi......Hmmmmm
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Squirrelman

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 09:07:17 PM »
lol pepperoni candy, and thanks for the advice everyone, I was wondering how freezing pepperoni would work too since I'm going to be freezing the cheese as well a bit to slow its cooking.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 09:55:28 PM »
I also nuked the pepperoni for 15secs on a piece of paper towel.   Then let em sit on the counter while I dress the pie.   I do this with fresh mushrooms as well to get rid of the extra water.  I nuke thick slices of mushrooms for up to 2 mins.  It shrinks them down quite a bit and concentrates the mushroom flavor. 

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 10:05:04 PM »
IF you can find the Bridgford brand pepperoni in your area - a good chance is if you have a CVS drugstore around - I suggest you give Bridgford a try.

Almost no oiling off. It's very minimal and I never had to resort to blotting the grease off of any pie. The pepperoni comes in thin cut, thick cut and as a Turkey pepperoni.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:07:38 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 10:14:03 PM »
I love their beef jerky found at Walmart, so I bet their pepperoni is good as well.  Lately my favorite has been boar's head pepperoni.  Just the right amount of grease to it.  Great spicy taste as well. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 10:36:45 PM »
The Wilson brand of pepperoni is also a good choice because it does not release a lot of fat during the baking of the pizza. Wilson used to be part of Doskocil, which was/is a major supplier to the majors like Papa John's, whose pepperoni also does not release as much fat as other brands. Doskocil is now a part of Tyson, and I believe that Wilson is also a part of Tyson. The Wilson brand is not one that is widely available. I found it on one of my trips back east to the Boston area.

Peter

Offline Guts

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 11:52:11 PM »
To me cooking the pepperoni (which I have done before) removes some oil, but what is the oil? fat? Flavor? for those of you that have not tried using frozen pepperoni give it a try you might like it. Being frozen it just start to cook as opposed room temperature or refrigerator temperature pepperoni, which in my opinion gets over cooked and releases more oil/fat/flavor. Not to be compared to bacon, which I want the fat to render out.
Guts/AKA/Kim

Offline Squirrelman

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 11:32:50 PM »
yep they sell bridgeford pepperoni here, in fact my favorite stick pepperoni is the short kind of spicy bridgeford stick, sadly my family hates the stuff and prefers hormel sticks, which I don't mind usually but a hormel sticks don't seem very consistency, a lot of the time they will be very soft and have a pretty gross texture imo, dunno why. but they don't midn bridgeford slices, although i'd like to try a stick pepperoni on this pepperoni so will probably do hormel since that's what my family likes, i'll try to remember that bridgeford slices hold up better on pizza, I don't like hormel's slices too much either lol.

although I have noticed the small bridgeford sticks actually feel very greasy when I eat slices cold just as a snack, so maybe the stick version is much greasier than the sliced anyway. I'll try hormel stick since that's what my family likes and use bridgeford slices on the next pizza sine atm I'm just in the mood for thicker cut pieces. thanks again.

Offline TarHeelPizza

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 09:37:53 PM »
I've tried nuking it with various results depending on the brand.  I've tried a bunch of brands but I think the one I got recently from PennMac, Ezzo, fits my taste the best when I lower the salt content of the sauce some to adjust for the saltiness.

How do you guys freeze it?  Vacumn seal and then freeze individual pizza quantities?  Put on wax paper and freeze in freezer bags?  Plastic containers?

Offline Guts

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 06:08:25 PM »
I buy it in large bags already sliced, vacuum seal it in small amounts and open them as needed. once opened I keep it in a baggie use as needed, right from the freezer. put on the pie just before going in the oven. 
Guts/AKA/Kim

pizzapan