Author Topic: my latest..  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Pizzalogy

my latest..
« on: May 17, 2010, 10:42:31 PM »
http://i39.tinypic.com/2mww7wz.jpg

i wasn't sure whether to post this in the whole wheat section or the NY style because it's sort of NY style on whole wheat.

anyway, this is the first pizza i've made where i've actually been happy with how it tasted. this time i  used both more sauce and more cheese to offset the stronger whole wheat taste and while that definitely made it better, the real important factor was that i finally found a cheese that doesn't make my pizzas taste sour or bitter. it's cedar grove organic mozzarella and at $8.00 a pound, it certainly wasn't my first choice. but after trying every other whole milk mozzarella i could get my hands on, i was pretty much out of options, so i went with this. i wasn't thrilled with the texture of this cheese, it is not stringy or stretchy and it very dry and somewhat crumbly. but the taste turned out to be a big improvement and now i am at the point where i can make pizza as a real meal instead of just part experiment, part meal. this organic cheese also goes well with the healthy style pizza i am trying to make.

the crust was a bit too moist, which is either because of the increased toppings or because i didn't let the dough ferment for the full 30 hours, but hopefully i will be able to improve the crust since i did not have this problem last time i made it. bake time was about 10 minutes and i thinking of increasing to around 12.
i am still using charbo's recipe with the KAWWW flour  and i highly recommend it.

this pizza doesn't truly taste like new york pizza, but it tastes good.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:44:11 PM by Pizzalogy »

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: my latest..
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:58:16 PM »
That pizza looks like a NY Pizza to me. Taste and your satisfaction are the most important factors and it sounds like you've achieved both. Congrats!!

Offline Pizzalogy

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:15:54 AM »
thanks. can you see how much i've improved?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:22:40 AM »
thanks. can you see how much i've improved?

Yes, the pizza looks round and the crust looks even all the way around.  Was this baked on your stone directly or did you shape it on a pan and baked on a pan?

Also the hydration level of wheat pizza is not easy to get right. 

Offline Pizzalogy

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 09:36:42 AM »
directly on the stone.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 09:38:50 AM »
Peter,

I agree. The pizza does look good. Out of curiosity, did you use the weight version of charbo's recipe or the volumetric version?

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 10:38:04 AM »
directly on the stone.

Then your technique with opening up the dough has improved quite a bit.  It looks like you have solve the problem of the crust being too thick and the center too thin.  The cheese also looks nicely melted.  Not dry and overbaked and not too wet and super oily. 

It looks good really.  Nice work. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:40:30 AM by Tranman »

Offline Pizzalogy

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 10:42:18 AM »
Peter,

I agree. The pizza does look good. Out of curiosity, did you use the weight version of charbo's recipe or the volumetric version?

Peter

i used the weight version, although i used volume for the oil, salt and yeast. i also only added about half of the kneading flour, unlike previously where i added all of it. that could be another reason why the crust was too moist.