Author Topic: brick oven pizzas  (Read 1641 times)

Offline artigiano

brick oven pizzas
« on: May 17, 2010, 11:35:26 PM »
Here are yesterdays pizzas.. yes I know its a barrel oven.. its the first one I built at my mother's house.. but I use what I have until I build another ;) one day.  I can still keep the temps up high at around 800 or 900 but I know the dome would be more efficient and better.  Having said all that, I think the pizzas tasted pretty damn good.  24 hour Caputo room temp rise using Neapolitan rules (except the oven) and IDY.

Alessandro

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: brick oven pizzas
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 11:53:06 PM »
Nice looking oven and delicious looking pie.

Offline artigiano

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:00:05 AM »

Thanks Tran, the bricks could use a good scrub on the outside around the opening.. they are a little white from some salts that come out of the brick from moisture during the winter.  I sealed the oven when I built it so its not really an issue but quite visible around the entrance as you can see.  First firing of the season.

Al

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 05:43:37 AM »
Thanks Tran, the bricks could use a good scrub on the outside around the opening.. they are a little white from some salts that come out of the brick from moisture during the winter.  I sealed the oven when I built it so its not really an issue but quite visible around the entrance as you can see.  First firing of the season.

Al

Hi Al,

Nice job.  I too have the same issue with the salt on the exposed fire brick around the mouth of my oven & have to keep them covered so they don't get wet when it rains.  What did you use to seal the brick?  Does the seal make the bricks water resistant?

Matt

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:13:36 AM »
Beautiful oven - is that the same oven as pictured in your avatar? And is that slot in the front an ash dump? After working with my oven I really wish there was a way to get an ash dump installed.

John

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 02:19:58 PM »
Looks good to me also!  :P  Is that 1X4 leftover, red oak you are burning? Expensive stuff!  if and only if I have leftover from a woodworking project.
Great looking pie to me also Do you do bread later on after oven cool off a bit?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 03:43:49 PM »
It's no so much the oven as the fornaio's ability to adapt and learn a particular oven.

Those pies look pretty damned tasty to me too......and being I have been jammed at work and still haven't had lunch, my stomach just started drooling at the mouth!

Good looking pies. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline artigiano

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 07:32:51 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the nice comments.  I have a good friend at a hardwood lumber sales so he keeps all untreated hardwood scraps for me.  Usually eastern maple, oak and birch.  I also have some nice dry alder tree wood but running low on it now.  Matthew, as far as the sealing goes you can buy a masonry sealer and it will do a great job sealing your oven.  I even used muriatic acid at first to acid wash the brick and then used the watertight seal all around and it is very clean with no salts coming through.   Just a bit at the opening where I didnt really put any sealer... especially on the firebrick you don't want any there.  Just be careful with the acid if u decide to use it.  That is a slot for ash but I usually just scoop it out as it is just as easy for me.  When I build another oven I wont bother with the ash slot.  That is the same oven as my avatar and I also agree that its all about knowing your oven and I feel almost as if it has its own personality.

Al
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:00:20 PM by artigiano »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 08:24:09 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the nice comments.  I have a good friend at a hardwood lumber sales so he keeps all untreated hardwood scraps for me.  Usually eastern maple, oak and birch.  I also have some nice dry alder tree wood but running low on it now.  Matthew, as far as the sealing goes you can buy a masonry sealer and it will do a great job sealing your oven.  I even used muriatic acid at first to acid wash the brick and then used the watertight seal all around and it is very clean with no salts coming through.   Just a bit at the opening where I didnt really put any sealer... especially on the firebrick you don't want any there.  Just be careful with the acid if u decide to use it.  That is a slot for ash but I usually just scoop it out as it is just as easy for me.  When I build another oven I wont bother with the ash slot.  That is the same oven as my avatar and I also agree that its all about knowing your oven and I feel almost as if it has its own personality.

Al

Thanks anyway Al.  I thought that you were referring to sealing the firebrick.  As you can see, the mouth of the oven is firebrick & I have to keep it covered so they don't get wet.  A bit of a pain in the ass; but a small price to pay I guess.

Matt

Offline artigiano

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 12:16:04 AM »
Matthew, you could look into sealing the outside ones.. im really not sure but the fire brick is porous and retains heat so I dont know if it will be a suitable application.  For Jconk I definately make bread once the oven cools down a bit, but usually from the left over pizza dough.. I do make sourdough as well but not when I make the pizzas since it is a lot of work to do them both.

Al

pizzapan