Author Topic: Boosting Belgioso fresh mozz  (Read 1024 times)

Offline ness

• I Love Pizza!
Boosting Belgioso fresh mozz
« on: May 20, 2010, 10:49:29 AM »
I think the Belgioso fresh mozz is pretty tasteless. There's another brand I see in the local supermarket sometimes that is better, but the name escapes me.

Last weekend I couldn't find the other, so I bought some of the Belgioso mini-balls. I laid them out on paper towels for a couple hours to dry them, then tossed them in a plastic bag, threw in some kosher salt and some half-and-half and let them sit around for a couple more hours. This was all on a whim, and not scientific at all, but it really improved the flavor (like salt and fat tend to do :D ). So, I think there's some potential with this.

I think some of the cream probably got soaked up, since there wasn't as much at the end as I put in. Surely some of it just clung to the cheese.

One thing I was worried about, that didn't become a problem, was too much liquid on the pizza. But, the balls melted fine, without being watery. I may noodle this one over and see what I come up with.

Anybody have any thoughts or like experiences?
-------
John

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Boosting Belgioso fresh mozz
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »
I have added sea salt to the water but not half and half or heavy cream.  Sounds like a good idea though.  My favorite way to use Belgioso is to shred it and mix it with equal parts block whole milk mozz, and a saltier cheese like provolone/white cheddar/parmesan, etc. 

I use to think the belgioso was pretty flavorless until I tried the Polly-O gold mozz curds.