Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 158613 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?
« Reply #2020 on: September 18, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »
Earlier in this thread, I noted that some of the early MM photos that were originally hosted on flickr.com could no longer be accessed. Today, out of curiosity, I went directly to the flickr.com website and, after logging in, did a search for the original flickr photos. My recollection is that the photos were originally taken at the MM Austin, TX location. The first two links are to those photos, and they were taken by Griset Photography and are in black and white. The third link is to other photos of MM dough balls/skins. I don't know if the links will work for others, but the only way to know is to post this and see what happens. If the photos appear, the arrows (left and right) can be used to see related photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasongriset/1336195111/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/search?text=Mellow%20mushroom%20dough&sort=relevance

https://www.flickr.com/photos/debstb/4570309158/in/photolist-7XS2FL-7XS2wW-7XS2CG-7XNLDt-7XS2H9-7XS3sW-7XNL9g-7XS34b-7XS2AS-7XNLWZ-7XS3hS-7XNLc8-7XNLvB-7XNLrx-7XS2T1-7XS3vo-7XS2YY-7XNLyH-7XNLtK-7XNKQn-a26s7B-9tkc81-ds3Jkw-9sANXb-7D3bhB-6PLENw-fHbQny-7XY1vN-6zKq1p-85u65J-7vXzn8-f7uLxD-e4snrt-6EX1ak-bEnvrS-aiJYPQ-e2yNL3-a8Ey1v-4hLDAc-84CyhT-cnsais-65NLBu-7tYULa-7WVxMQ-7FDvkE-6quubM-dBkKNF-6GTV5u-cVgPvf-oxpppV/

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2021 on: September 18, 2014, 08:02:47 PM »
Earlier in this thread, I noted that some of the early MM photos that were originally hosted on flickr.com could no longer be accessed. Today, out of curiosity, I went directly to the flickr.com website and, after logging in, did a search for the original flickr photos. My recollection is that the photos were originally taken at the MM Austin, TX location. The first two links are to those photos, and they were taken by Griset Photography and are in black and white. The third link is to other photos of MM dough balls/skins. I don't know if the links will work for others, but the only way to know is to post this and see what happens. If the photos appear, the arrows (left and right) can be used to see related photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasongriset/1336195111/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/search?text=Mellow%20mushroom%20dough&sort=relevance

https://www.flickr.com/photos/debstb/4570309158/in/photolist-7XS2FL-7XS2wW-7XS2CG-7XNLDt-7XS2H9-7XS3sW-7XNL9g-7XS34b-7XS2AS-7XNLWZ-7XS3hS-7XNLc8-7XNLvB-7XNLrx-7XS2T1-7XS3vo-7XS2YY-7XNLyH-7XNLtK-7XNKQn-a26s7B-9tkc81-ds3Jkw-9sANXb-7D3bhB-6PLENw-fHbQny-7XY1vN-6zKq1p-85u65J-7vXzn8-f7uLxD-e4snrt-6EX1ak-bEnvrS-aiJYPQ-e2yNL3-a8Ey1v-4hLDAc-84CyhT-cnsais-65NLBu-7tYULa-7WVxMQ-7FDvkE-6quubM-dBkKNF-6GTV5u-cVgPvf-oxpppV/

Peter

I can see the 5 photos in your first link.  It appears that MM dough balls are put into plastic bags at some point in time.  I wonder if that is before they are frozen.  I also see the dough balls are heavily covered with what appears to be cornmeal.  What do you think that string on a wooden handle is for? 

I can also see the photos in your second link. The photo under Amy Wood and the caption we are thick in dough at Mellow mushroom almost looks like the dough is yellowish, or not as dark as my MM dough attempts.  It says in the one photo of the MM dough balls in a line, that they are the ones that are used for testing batches. The MM pretzels look different in the different photos.

The third link also works to show the photos and captions.  Under the caption Making Pizza at Mellow Mushroom April 2010 001 those dough balls look darker.

Do you have any conclusions after looking at all the photos?

I did not have to log in to look at the photos. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2022 on: September 18, 2014, 08:08:27 PM »
First and third links work. Thanks.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2023 on: September 18, 2014, 08:56:35 PM »
Norma,

I wouldn't put much stock in the color of the dough balls or the skins in the various photos since the photos will reflect the cameras used to take the photos and the lighting.

As for the flickr black and white photos by Griset Photography, I wasn't sure where they were taken. So, I did a search of Griset Photography and found a Jason Griset out of Atlanta. In his LinkedIn profile at https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jason-griset-cpa/6/b99/637, you will see that Jason is a CPA but at one time worked for Home-Grown Industries of GA, Inc., which, as you know, is the formal legal name for the company behind Mellow Mushroom. You will also see that Jason lists photography as one of his interests. I would take all of this to mean that the photos that Jason took were at the MM commissary while he worked at MM.

I do not have any idea as to whether the dough balls are wrapped in plastic before freezing or afterward but I would think that it would be most logical to wrap the dough balls with plastic as the last step in the process before readying for shipping. One of Jason's photos shows Racks. Maybe that is where the dough balls are held pending shipment.

I also do not know what the string and wooden handle are for. The caption for the photo that shows these items says Yeast. If what is shown in the container is really yeast, then we would at least know that MM uses dry yeast.

One of the reasons I provided the flickr links is because I noticed how much cornmeal is used, both at the MM commissary--as shown in the dough boxes--and also at the MM stores--on the dough balls, in the dough boxes and the peels. Also, some of the MM YouTube videos show cornmeal being distributed on top of formed skins. I have read reviews by some MM diners who complained that too much cornmeal was used in/on the MM pizza crusts. The reason I mention all this is because it is possible that the MM Nutrition Facts for a medium MM baked crust take the cornmeal into account. That could take the total dough ball weight (naked dough ball plus cornmeal) to around 19 ounces instead of around 18+ ounces that we have assumed for just the naked dough ball (i.e., with cornmeal brushed off). I would have to go back to the drawing board to see if the numbers we have been using change to any material degree beyond the total dough ball weight.

Peter

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2024 on: September 18, 2014, 09:05:39 PM »

I wouldn't put much stock in the color of the dough balls or the skins in the various photos since the photos will reflect the cameras used to take the photos and the lighting.

Yes, but we can at least tell that the dough  appears to be one or two shades darker than the cornmeal on which the dough is sitting.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2025 on: September 18, 2014, 09:06:48 PM »
Yes, but we can at least tell that the dough  appears to be one or two shades darker than the cornmeal on which the dough is sitting.
PrimeRib,

That is a good point.

Peter

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2026 on: September 18, 2014, 09:11:29 PM »

The reason I mention all this is because it is possible that the MM Nutrition Facts for a medium MM baked crust take the cornmeal into account.

Great point. The cornmeal will definitely contribute to the protein, but it may put us over the top on the fiber.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2027 on: September 18, 2014, 09:23:17 PM »
Peter,

That was really good detective work on your part to find Jason Griset and to see on LinkedIn that he at one time worked for Home-Grown Industries of GA, Inc.

If the dough balls are wrapped in plastic as the last step in process (before readying for shipping) wouldn't you think the cornmeal wouldn't you think the dough ball would absorb more of the cornmeal before the freezing process is started?

You could be right about the caption saying yeast and that is the yeast MM uses. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2028 on: September 18, 2014, 09:29:28 PM »

That was really good detective work on your part to find Jason Griset and to see on LinkedIn that he at one time worked for Home-Grown Industries of GA, Inc.

I bet he knows what is in the MM dough!

Offline PrimeRib

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2029 on: September 18, 2014, 09:32:03 PM »

You could be right about the caption saying yeast and that is the yeast MM uses. 

If that is yeast, it sure is an odd way to store yeast. I think that's cornmeal.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2030 on: September 18, 2014, 09:38:58 PM »
I also did a broad flickr search using the search terms Mellow Mushroom Pizzas, and got the following results:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=mellow%20mushroom%20pizza

As is almost always the case, pizzas made at different locations of a pizza chain can take on different looks. That can even happen in a single pizzeria as workers come and go over time, as Norma and I have discovered on more than one occasion. In MM's case, I noticed essentially three different "looks". There is a first look where the rim of the baked pizza is smooth and with a somewhat light colored crust. Then, there is a second look where the pizza has a fair amount of blistering of the crust and where the rim appears to be of fairly normal size and with reasonably good crust coloration that is darker than the first look mentioned above. And the third look is of a pizza that has a rim that is puffy and noticeably larger than normal (this seems to be most true of the 10" pizzas) and may even have large bubbles and blistering. The center might also be sunken relative to the rim.

It is hard to diagnose things from photos, but the first pizza may reflect use of the dough before it is quite ready to be used (it might even be used cold), the second pizza might be a "normal" pizza that complies with the MM manual, and the third pizza might reflect a dough that has overfermented some but is still usable.

As Walter has noted, a commercial setting is usually a dynamic setting where you never know how the pizzas are going to turn out. A part of the reason is that dough production is based on historic volume. But, on any given day, the volume demand for pizza can vary quite widely, and workers end up doing things that they would normally not do or prefer to do, like using underfermented or overfermented dough. Among other things, these conditions can alter the look of the final product.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2031 on: September 18, 2014, 09:43:05 PM »
If that is yeast, it sure is an odd way to store yeast. I think that's cornmeal.
PrimeRib,

I agree and wondered about that but I thought that it was possible that that photo was staged because it would be hard to show the actual use of the yeast in the dough preparation process in a way that would appeal to the viewer. All of the other photos that Jason took were at the back end of the process.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2032 on: September 19, 2014, 09:22:18 AM »
I was able to find the entire set of the Jason Griset MM photos at https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasongriset/sets/72157601895895177/. There are comments by Jason for some of the photos but not for the one titled Yeast.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2033 on: September 25, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »
I read an interesting article today on protein, at http://www.bakingbusiness.com/Features/Formulations/2014/9/Staying%20ahead%20of%20the%20protein%20game.aspx. A good part of the article deals with the health and nutrition aspects of protein but it also talks about the use of protein in baked goods. Among the protein sources that are mentioned for such applications are whey, soy flour, vital wheat gluten, defatted wheat germ (including toasted wheat germ, wheat protein concentrate and isolates, and hydrolyzed wheat protein.

In the context of the MM dough, we previously ruled out whey and soy flour as candidates for increasing the protein content of their dough, because they are not on the MM allergens list, and we pretty much ruled out vital wheat gluten and wheat germ because too much of these would be needed to bridge the MM Nutrition Facts gaps. I had previously researched the other protein sources, at places like ADM and MGP Ingredients, both of which are mentioned in the above article, but there was not enough information online to be able to tell if they are the types of ingredients that MM would use. However, some of those ingredients are specified as being used in pizza crusts. But, even then, I do not recall seeing them in ingredients lists of pizza operators whose products I have studied.

Peter