Author Topic: My WFO project  (Read 9868 times)

Offline Matthew

Re: My WFO project
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2010, 09:40:36 AM »
For Matt.

David,
From what I can see, I'm pretty sure that your oven is already fully insulated.

http://www.ambrogi.it/ambrogi_ING.swf

Matt

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2010, 09:50:40 AM »
You think I should take the precaution anyways and maybe do like a layer or two. I think the top would need some. I kinda want to put about 1-2" of perlite/concrete on top. I did a quick search to see if there is anywhere that sells the blankets in MA and I couldn't find any.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2010, 09:57:04 AM »
See this is where I got confused when I was on the site. The outside of the oven looks like the picture you put on of the jolly. But the specs that are given are not the specs of my oven. The oven interior is 43"(1100mm) which means the oven I have is the mec80. But the mec80 doesn't look like the oven I have the I have looks like the jolly......
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:59:33 AM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2010, 10:30:43 AM »
You think I should take the precaution anyways and maybe do like a layer or two. I think the top would need some. I kinda want to put about 1-2" of perlite/concrete on top. I did a quick search to see if there is anywhere that sells the blankets in MA and I couldn't find any.

The only way of really knowing is to test it out.  Get it to pizza temp & see how it maintains the temperature.  Check the temperature the following day & then you'll know for sure. 

Matt

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2010, 12:59:18 PM »
Now I know why seasoned wood is so important. I started a fire about 30 minutes ago and its still not lighting that good. You can hear the moisture burning out of the wood. I went to the farm down the street and got 3 bundles and a thing of kindling for $14. Lets see how it goes with this "green" wood.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2010, 03:40:06 PM »
Ok so I got the floor temp to ~810F and the dome temp was ~1040F. The walls were around ~920F all around. After the fire kinda died down I spread the coals all over the floor to even out the temp of the oven. I shot the coal and they were around 1240F. The wood was still green so there was a good amount of smoke, now there is soot around the chimney and some parts of the oven dome.

I got a sharpie and made a circle on both sides of the oven so I had something to aim at with my IR gun. The temps got to 125-130F on the outside. I also shot the top of the dome and it was only hitting around 145-150F. I'm going to go check it in an hour and see what the temps are. Should I put the door on or should I leave it off for this?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 03:43:02 PM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
Ok so I got the floor temp to ~810F and the dome temp was ~1040F. The walls were around ~920F all around. After the fire kinda died down I spread the coals all over the floor to even out the temp of the oven. I shot the coal and they were around 1240F. The wood was still green so there was a good amount of smoke, now there is soot around the chimney and some parts of the oven dome.

I got a sharpie and made a circle on both sides of the oven so I had something to aim at with my IR gun. The temps got to 125-130F on the outside. I also shot the top of the dome and it was only hitting around 145-150F. I'm going to go check it in an hour and see what the temps are. Should I put the door on or should I leave it off for this?

You can close the door if there is no live fire, if there is still a live fire going your going to build up soot on the inside which is okay as it will burn off with the next firing. Touch the outside of the oven, if it is warm to the touch you should be okay.  If it's sunny outside the exterior will obviously more hot.  If I fire my oven on a day without any sunshine the exterior is cool to the touch.

Matt

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2010, 05:55:01 PM »
It was pretty hot today so maybe that has some to do with it, but I couldn't hold me hand on there. I was tapping it and it was to hot to keep my hand on there. Maybe the IR gun wasn't reading correctly off the SS. I think I am going to put insulation around it and on top just in chase, better safe than sorry. We'll see tomorrow what the temp is inside.

Offline scott123

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2010, 06:11:18 PM »
Now I know why seasoned wood is so important. I started a fire about 30 minutes ago and its still not lighting that good. You can hear the moisture burning out of the wood. I went to the farm down the street and got 3 bundles and a thing of kindling for $14. Lets see how it goes with this "green" wood.

Don't forget, you've basically just built a kiln (of sorts), so once you're done baking with the oven, you can let the temps drop a bit and use that residual heat to dry green wood. Also, if you arrange your fire with drier/thinner wood at the bottom and wetter wood at the top, it will naturally dry as the fire progresses.  Lastly, chopping wood is no easy task, but the smaller the pieces, the more air you can introduce, the better your combustion will be. Oh, and unless you live in an urban area, just about everyone can lay their hands on twigs.  Old twigs make for very effective, no cost kindling- better, imo, than purchased kindling.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:16:30 PM by scott123 »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2010, 06:27:46 PM »
Its funny you said that because I was doing that duing the fire. After an hour I pushed the pile to the side and was putting the cut wood on the other side to dry it out a bit. It did make a difference when I put those drier pieces on top of the fire they lit almost instantly. Only thing is I used all the wood I got so I can't really do it anymore. I have a massive pile of small twings but it has been raining lately and they are kinda wet. This wood wasn't really that hard to cut, only thing that was making me mad was the cloth handles they staple in.

I was saying before that I had narrowed it down to two wood suppliers, the one I am going to go with is the kiln dried one because I think it is going to be drier than the other guys. I was talking to him and he said its about 80/20 oak/mixed.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2010, 08:57:41 AM »
I just checked the temp it was at 330F.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2010, 02:05:23 PM »
Ambrogi emailed me back.

"Dear David,
You don’t have to insulate the bottom of the oven. Just all the external surface/structure and the top.

Best regards,"

Now I gotta find some insulating blankets.

Offline carbon

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2010, 03:34:54 PM »
Ambrogi emailed me back.

"Dear David,
You donít have to insulate the bottom of the oven. Just all the external surface/structure and the top.

Best regards,"

Now I gotta find some insulating blankets.

The oven wall thickness at the floor level seems to be 50mm according to the diagrams.  But aside from that I wonder what's used as fill material between the rest of the dome and the SS enclosure.  I have to imagine there's got to be some kind of insulation in there...
It even states "well finished oven, ready to be used..." 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:07:28 PM by carbon »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2010, 10:11:22 AM »
Well I got insulation blankets, they should be in tomorrow.

Do you guys burn the wood with the bark on or off. I have seen videos of some people taking the bark off(Anthony Mangieri being one person I can think of off the top of my head) and then I have seen people use the wood with the bark. What do you guys do, does it make a difference? I might make pizza on Saturday before my uncle starts the brick work on Monday.

Offline Ev

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2010, 12:13:34 PM »
If the wood is dry and has been stored protected from the elements, I would leave the bark on. Otherwise, there could be a good deal of moisture trapped between the bark and the wood, which might cause the wood to burn inefficiently.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2010, 05:36:28 PM »
I have never taken ther bark off for any reaon personally.  glad you found you blankets,  I didn't know where to find them.  -marc

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2010, 09:05:48 AM »
Here are some pictures, it should be don by Saturday hopefully.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2010, 09:40:38 AM »
Here are some pictures. It should be done by Saturday hopefully.

BrickStoneOven,

Your WFO is looking great!  :)  Looking forward to seeing your pies, when you oven is finished. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

brayshaw

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2010, 09:48:44 AM »
Brickstone, I agree with Norma...that looks like an awesome oven/set-up.
I'm sure I am not the one who is itching to see the pizzas you cook in that beauty!
Hurry up and get it finished!!  :-D

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2010, 11:09:43 AM »
Thanks norma and brayshaw. It should have been done last week but my uncle went to a wedding in Cali.

pizzapan