Author Topic: My balling method  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: My balling method
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 09:11:14 PM »
Paul I'm trying my hand at making some baguette's tonight.  I found out that the technique you talked about in the 2nd half of your video is commonly referred to as "Preshaping" in the bread making world.  Hamelman shows a similar technique in his book but I used your technique instead.   :P  Thanks a bunch for doing the video. 

Chau

brayshaw

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 02:19:25 AM »
Wow!  thanks for trying my method Chau! Did it feel ok? It might take a bit of practice if you haven't done it before but i am sure you will be fine.
No problem for doing the video, if you ever want different ones just ask buddy.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 02:22:09 AM by brayshaw »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 08:34:12 AM »
Wow!  thanks for trying my method Chau! Did it feel ok? It might take a bit of practice if you haven't done it before but i am sure you will be fine.
No problem for doing the video, if you ever want different ones just ask buddy.

Paul

Yeah, Paul I was feeling a bit nervous and unsure about the whole bread recipe in general along with "preshaping' method.  I remembered your video when I was reading about preshaping in Hamelman's book, so I decided to watch the video again.  Hamelman's method is very similar except he has you using both hands and the dough is rolled away from you instead of towards you.  I like your method b/c you can actually preshape 2 doughballs at once, one in each hand.

It seem pretty easy to do actually.  It was helpful b/c when i first was reading about it in the book and looking at their drawings, it wasn't super clear to me.  But then it sounded like the technique in your video and when I watched your video again, it made a lot of sense b/c it easier for me to see it done than reading about it.

I'm curious to know what you did when you were at the bakery.  Did you learn all the aspects of bread making from beginning to end?

Chau

brayshaw

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 09:19:59 AM »
I'm glad it was a help.

The first 2 years at the bakery I was following the lead baker, watching everything he did and helping him (or should I say 'he was helping me') so I learnt all aspects of professional bread making from mixing-using the ovens.The other 2 years I was there I was given more responsibilities like making all the bread myself every morning so that the head baker could focus more on the wedding cakes and the sweet items. We used to make all our own pastries (sweet and savoury)/wedding cakes/puff pastry/croissants/pies and supply them to some local restaurants and hotels.

Paul

pizzapan