Author Topic: Looking for Pizza King crust recipe  (Read 4513 times)

Offline Pixcess

Looking for Pizza King crust recipe
« on: September 29, 2012, 07:24:38 AM »
I Googled "Recipe for Pizza King pizza crust," and found this forum. So far, I've found the forum to be labor intensive and confusing, when all I wanted was a recipe  :o
I'm hoping it gets better.  :)

My favorite pizza is Greek's Pizzeria, but my favorite breadsticks are from Pizza King (possibly only found in Indiana). I was told by a Pizza King manager that they make the breadsticks from the same dough they make the pizza crust out of. They make their own dough and guard the recipe  >:(
The breadsticks are very light, not heavy like most other breadsticks.

The last Pizza King posting on this forum was 2009. I'm hoping that someone has come up with a recipe by now.  ;)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Looking for Pizza King crust recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 08:22:54 AM »
Pixcess,

I conducted an Advanced forum search using the terms Pizza King (in quotes) and all I could find was a reference to possible similarities to Round Table or Donatos pizzas. I did not find any pizza dough recipe. So, I would say that it does not exist on the forum. Nor is it likely that anyone who knows how to reverse engineer and clone pizza doughs, of which there are only a few people on the forum who know how to do that, will attempt such a process in the absence of an ingredients list or Nutrition Facts, or both. In your case, you will need insider information (which it appears you are unlikely to get) or resort to dumpster diving to get basic information to get you started.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 12:06:03 AM »
check out my posts on the old round table thread where I talk about making "sir pizza" style. Sir pizza is a spin off of Pizza King, with the same basic recipe.   The numbers and percentages I used in that thread are the same ones I use now, and I feel like I have been able to duplicate the pizza.   I don't think sir pizza/pizza king are using milk powder, so leave that out.    

Its a very dry dough,  and the best luck I have had making these at home is with a bosch universal mixer (which is great for low hydration dough) or even with a food processor.  A kitchen aid mixer wont work for this recipe because the dough is too dry.    
Sir pizza uses all trumps bromated flour, but if you want to avoid bromate you can get very close with harvest king (better for bread)  flour.
I have found that I can duplicate it without laminating the dough (I don't think pizza king/sir pizza laminates, but I could be wrong)
I let the bulk batch of mixed dough double in size, I then form dough balls and let the dough balls double in size (or more) before I use them.    Once the dough is proofed properly I roll out the dough with a rolling pin, then let the unbaked crust sit for about a half hour before topping and baking.  This gives the dough a little time to relax from the rolling pin, and will yield a more tender dough.
Sir pizza blends provolone with their mozzarella cheese.

Good luck!    
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:26:39 AM by scott r »

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 06:43:43 AM »
Pixcess, when I first came over to the forum I was a bit overwhelmed too, but keep reading and playing with the forum and you'll get use to it and learn to love this place. I understand how daunting all the terminology can be and all the different post and style section.

There is a wealth of information here though that can be had and an astonishing amount of so many knowledgeable people. Peter, Norma, and others you'll see on here have put a ton of work into perfecting formulas for everyone to try out. It's awesome to say the least.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 08:03:59 AM »
I believe that this is the post that scott r was thinking of: Reply 110 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1911.msg34070/topicseen.html#msg34070.

Peter

Offline PuRowdy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 12:00:20 AM »
Ahh pizza king, something I wish every big time pizza fan could try at some point. Great pizza and very unique compared to many others.

One of the best chains in Indiana.