Author Topic: Ultra-Thin Pizza 1/16"..Any Ideas?  (Read 38996 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Ultra-Thin Pizza 1/16"..Any Ideas?
« Reply #240 on: June 25, 2010, 08:21:41 PM »
Peter,

LOL, if I ever succeed with this experiment it would be nice, but trying to bake the par-baked crusts one by one, would be a mess.  If this experiment does work out I will probably bake a few par-baked crusts and then see how they work out after they are frozen. 

If this experiment does work out for you, are you also going to go though the whole procedure and also have some par-baked crusts on hand in the freezer, if you feel the need to have one?  :-D

I am still busy watching the robins.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #241 on: June 25, 2010, 08:52:10 PM »
If this experiment does work out for you, are you also going to go though the whole procedure and also have some par-baked crusts on hand in the freezer, if you feel the need to have one?  :-D

Norma,

Most of what I hope to achieve with my experiments is to learn something new. I prefer success over failure, but I perhaps learn more from failure than from success. If we succeed with the experiment at hand, I will perhaps compare the results with other cracker-style pizzas that I have made. If they are better, then I will perhaps make a few par-baked crusts to keep in my freezer. Since my freezer is a static freezer, I will perhaps learn what that type of freezer does to the quality of par-baked crusts. But, whatever happens with the experiment, I will feel that I gained a lot of knowledge about par-baked crusts, including several of the commercial manufacturing processes. And I will be bound to use that knowledge somewhere down the line.

I heard on the radio this morning that Milton Hershey, of your beloved state, went bankrupt four times because of failed business ventures before he achieved lasting success--a success that persists to this day. I am sure he learned from each failure and doggedly applied the lessons he learned to the venture that ultimately hit the jackpot and created his lasting empire.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #242 on: June 25, 2010, 10:09:10 PM »
Peter,

I also like success over failure, but I think each thing that happens in our lives teaches us something. I know the knowledge I learn by trying this project will surely teach me something, maybe many things.

Somewhere on this forum I posted the story about Milton Hershey.  I think it was in off-topic foods somewhere. I will have to look where I put it.  I only live about 25 minutes from Hershey so I know the story well.  He had a caramel candy business in Lancaster and also made clear toy candy at one time.  He kept going, even after all his failures.  The town of Hershey is beautiful.  It has all the original houses Milton Hershey built for his employees.  Even the park was his idea and he also built it for his employees.  I love that park, because I still love roller coasters.  The chocolate kiss lamps on Chocolate Ave. are something, too.  I know a lady that worked on the whole candy exhibit for the Museum and she researched all what Milton Hershey produced as far as candy in his lifetime. I donít know if that exhibit is still there, because now they have Chocolate World.  Milton Hershey also started the school for children that had less means than others. He was a wonderful man in my opinion.

Well, like I always say, you win some and you lose some.  I must have wired the proofing box wrong.  I thought I had all the wires right, but when I went to plug it in, it blew the one circuit breaker in the shed.  The sparks flew out of the receptacle.  I will have to get a neighbor to help me with the wiring and see what I did wrong. 

Pictures below of finished or almost finished proofing box.

Also a few pictures of the baby robin and I guess the father waiting to feed it. Since this was part of my building the proofing box, I thought I would include them. I wanted to take a closer picture of the parent, but it wouldnít let me get any closer.  Maybe I paid too much attention to the robins and didnít watch what I was doing in making the proofing box. I have been known to make mistakes when I am busy doing something else. I had picked the baby robin up yesterday when it was in the grass, (it must have fallen out of the tree) because I almost ran over it with the lawn mower. I brought it inside and tried to give it some water and I dug him or her some worms.  I didnít think the parents would take care of the baby robin after I had touched it, but they are taking care of it.

Pictures Below of robins, too.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: June 25, 2010, 10:14:15 PM »
more pictures..right now the baby robin is living in the flower bed.

Norma
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:09:49 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #244 on: June 25, 2010, 11:03:48 PM »
Peter or anyone else that is interested in reading about Milton Hershey and his failures and ultimately his great success.

Here is the link were I posted links about Milton Hershey. Repy # 5

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9827.msg85451.html#msg85451

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #245 on: June 26, 2010, 05:35:29 AM »
Peter,

I also like success over failure, but I think each thing that happens in our lives teaches us something. I know the knowledge I learn by trying this project will surely teach me something, maybe many things.

Somewhere on this forum I posted the story about Milton Hershey.  I think it was in off-topic foods somewhere. I will have to look where I put it.  I only live about 25 minutes from Hershey so I know the story well.  He had a caramel candy business in Lancaster and also made clear toy candy at one time.  He kept going, even after all his failures.  The town of Hershey is beautiful.  It has all the original houses Milton Hershey built for his employees.  Even the park was his idea and he also built it for his employees.  I love that park, because I still love roller coasters.  The chocolate kiss lamps on Chocolate Ave. are something, too.  I know a lady that worked on the whole candy exhibit for the Museum and she researched all what Milton Hershey produced as far as candy in his lifetime. I donít know if that exhibit is still there, because now they have Chocolate World.  Milton Hershey also started the school for children that had less means than others. He was a wonderful man in my opinion.

Well, like I always say, you win some and you lose some.  I must have wired the proofing box wrong.  I thought I had all the wires right, but when I went to plug it in, it blew the one circuit breaker in the shed.  The sparks flew out of the receptacle.  I will have to get a neighbor to help me with the wiring and see what I did wrong. 

Pictures below of finished or almost finished proofing box.

Also a few pictures of the baby robin and I guess the father waiting to feed it. Since this was part of my building the proofing box, I thought I would include them. I wanted to take a closer picture of the parent, but it wouldnít let me get any closer.  Maybe I paid too much attention to the robins and didnít watch what I was doing in making the proofing box. I have been known to make mistakes when I am busy doing something else. I had picked the baby robin up yesterday when it was in the grass, (it must have fallen out of the tree) because I almost ran over it with the lawn mower. I brought it inside and tried to give it some water and I dug him or her some worms.  I didnít think the parents would take care of the baby robin after I had touched it, but they are taking care of it.

Pictures Below of robins, too.

Norma

Hi Norma,
Ok, the good news & the bad news.
Good news; I can help you with the wiring.  Bad news; there is a very good chance you blew the dimmer.  If it works but doesn't dim then you'll have to replace it.

The wiring is as follows:
-Connect one wire from the plug to one lead on the dimmer.
-Connect one lead from light socket to the other lead on the dimmer.
-Connect the other lead from the light socket to the remaining wire on the plug.
You don't need the ground wire on the dimmer so just cut off any bare wire & tape it off.

Matt

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 05:37:02 AM by Matthew »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #246 on: June 26, 2010, 07:53:46 AM »
Matt,

Ok, Matt I am always ready for the good new and bad new, that is part of my life.  One day I have success and the next day I have failures.  At least I learn from both.  I am not an electrician, but can put plugs on, wire lamps and do simple things.  That is about the extent of my electrical knowledge.  Maybe I will also learn how to wire in a series from this thread and your help. I have gained so much knowledge from this thread already.  I have learned how par-baked crusts are made commercially, studying patents and applying them, found out par-baked crusts can feel rubbery, how Nutritional data can be applied to making a product, learned about ďdead yeastĒ, found out my 14" cutter pan really only  measure 13" on the bottom, found out how yeast dies at what temperature, found out how starches gelatinize, and so much more.  Now you are also helping me learn about electrical wiring.  I just wonder what I will learn next?  As my signature says, I am always looking for new information.  I am always curious about how things work. 

I think after reading your instructions, what I did wrong was I connected all the hot wires to the ceramic socket.  I didnít see any other place on the dimmer to connect wires.  It just had two wires to connect somewhere and I connected them to the ceramic socket.  Then I was trying to figure out how to connect the plug, and since there werenít any other wires to connect to, I just connected them to the ceramic socket, too.  I did place the hot wires together with the brass screw.  I thought while I was doing this, I sure could use some help.  :-D  I believe you are right about me blowing the dimmer switch.  What is the lead on the dimmer?  The dimmer switch only had two wires.

Today I am off to the Celtic Fling and Highland Games.  I am sure I will learn more new information there, too.

I appreciate all the help you always given me and all the ideas you have,  :)

Thanks,

Norma
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 07:57:24 AM by norma427 »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #247 on: June 26, 2010, 08:05:35 AM »
Matt,

What is the lead on the dimmer?  The dimmer switch only had two wires.

Hi Norma,
The 2 wires that you are referring to above are the lead wires. :) 

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #248 on: June 26, 2010, 08:12:11 AM »
Hi Norma,
The 2 wires that you are referring to above are the lead wires. :) 

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for telling me that the two wires are the lead wires.  :)  I think instead of connecting these wires in a series, I just connected them all together. 

Thanks for you help, I will reconnect them and see what happens.

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #249 on: June 26, 2010, 09:39:34 AM »

I would enjoy seeing some pictures when the proof is finished.

Thanks,

Norma

Here you go.  This is after the 1st fermentation. 

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #250 on: June 26, 2010, 09:52:15 AM »
Matt,

After proofing, your dough with bubbles looks amazing.   ;D I like to see how other members doughs look.  I bet you are going to get delicious pizzas from all those dough balls.  I wish I could taste a pizza made from you dough.

Thanks for taking the time to show your dough and dough balls,  :)

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #251 on: June 26, 2010, 10:16:30 AM »
Matt,

After proofing, your dough with bubbles looks amazing.   ;D I like to see how other members doughs look.  I bet you are going to get delicious pizzas from all those dough balls.  I wish I could taste a pizza made from you dough.

Thanks for taking the time to show your dough and dough balls,  :)

Norma

My pleasure Norma.  The weather isn't cooperation right now so their destiny is still unknown. ???

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #252 on: June 26, 2010, 10:30:10 AM »
  The weather isn't cooperation right now so their destiny is still unknown. ???

Matt

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to use the dough balls for.  :) Let us all know what you decide and post pictures if you have time.
We might get thunderstorms today and the temperature is supposed to be around 90 degrees F or hotter.  I am still going to the Celtic Fling and Highland Games, no matter if I get drenched or sweat. :-D

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #253 on: June 26, 2010, 03:47:22 PM »
Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to use the dough balls for.  :) Let us all know what you decide and post pictures if you have time.
We might get thunderstorms today and the temperature is supposed to be around 90 degrees F or hotter.  I am still going to the Celtic Fling and Highland Games, no matter if I get drenched or sweat. :-D

Norma

Since the weather refused to cooperate I decided to combine the dough balls to make 2 focaccia's & 2 Sicilian raisin breads.  The results will be insteresting as the dough was made with my standard sour dough Neapolitan formula.  Below are some pictures taken prior to the final proofing.

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #254 on: June 26, 2010, 04:23:06 PM »
Since the weather refused to cooperate I decided to combine the dough balls to make 2 focaccia's & 2 Sicilian raisin breads.  The results will be insteresting as the dough was made with my standard sour dough Neapolitan formula.  Below are some pictures taken prior to the final proofing.

Matt

Matt,

Sorry the weather refused to cooperate.  Your results should be interesting.  Thanks for taking pictures.  Let us know how they turn out.  The dough looks good.  :)

It was so hot were we went, we decided to come home early.

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #255 on: June 26, 2010, 08:58:58 PM »
Peter or anyone else that is interested in reading about Milton Hershey and his failures and ultimately his great success.

Here is the link were I posted links about Milton Hershey. Repy # 5

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9827.msg85451.html#msg85451

Norma

Quite inspiring.  I had no idea he had so many failures prior to success.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #256 on: June 26, 2010, 10:01:28 PM »
Quite inspiring.  I had no idea he had so many failures prior to success.

Jackie Tran,

Milton Hershey should be an inspiration to anyone that fails.  He never gave up and all you have to do is Google his name and see what came from all of his failures.  He had the drive to keep going.  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #257 on: June 26, 2010, 10:07:10 PM »
Matt,

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart.  ;D  For an electrically challenged person, like myself, your instructions were perfect.  I can now wire in a series.  I took off all the duct tape and electrical tape and started over again.  When I connected everything up like you told me, I was worried to plug the proofing box in.  I wasnít worried about your instructions, but worried if the dimmer switch would work.  It worked.  I was so elated, that I was smiling from ear to ear.  ;D  I didnít have to purchase another dimmer switch and the proofing box is now finished. 

I posted pictures of the wiring, so anyone that is electrically challenged like I am, can see how to do the wiring in a series, along with Mattís instructions.  Even a woman can do it.  :o  I did take other pictures of the light on in the proofing box and the electrical wires taped up.  I even cut duct tape, so my thermometer wouldnít get the hole any bigger, where I had placed it. 

Lets hear a big round of applause for Matt and helping me learn something new.  :)

Thanks Matt,

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #258 on: June 26, 2010, 10:10:20 PM »
Finished proofing box, all taped up.  Can you guess which picture of the sad and happy face of the Celtic Fling and Highland Games cup is mine?  ;D

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #259 on: June 26, 2010, 10:16:45 PM »
Nice job woman!   :-D  I'm electrically challenged too.   So can anyone explain to me the purpose of a proofing box.  Well I know it allows you to proof at a consistent temp, but what temps are you all proofing at and how long do you typically proof in the box for?