Author Topic: Ultra-Thin Pizza 1/16"..Any Ideas?  (Read 47323 times)

Offline cranky

Re: Ultra-Thin Pizza 1/16"..Any Ideas?
« Reply #420 on: February 22, 2011, 10:43:36 PM »
Norma,
You might try looking at youtube at the ways bakers handle dough to make strudel.  There are several videos of how it is stretched out.  It is pretty amazing to see.  I don't know if pizza dough can be modified to behave in the same way, but you will find it interesting to watch.  In fact it might be interesting to make a pizza strudel with pizza ingredients instead of apples and sugar. 
Cranky

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #421 on: February 22, 2011, 10:59:11 PM »
Norma,
You might try looking at youtube at the ways bakers handle dough to make strudel.  There are several videos of how it is stretched out.  It is pretty amazing to see.  I don't know if pizza dough can be modified to behave in the same way, but you will find it interesting to watch.  In fact it might be interesting to make a pizza strudel with pizza ingredients instead of apples and sugar. 
Cranky

Hi my friend Cranky,  ;D

Haven't seen you around for awhile.  Hope everything is going well for you.  What does strudel have to do with this thread.   :-D  And what is strudel?  I really have no idea what that is, except to put on apple pie.  I want to try a new kind of pizza dough I have my eye on and it is thinner than the Ultra-thin dough.  Might give it a try in a few weeks.  Do you know what I would type in for the Youtube video you are talking about?  I would be interested in watching the video if I can find it.   :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #422 on: February 22, 2011, 11:24:51 PM »
PizzaEater101,

It wasn't raining or misting when I took those pictures of the rainbow.  I will have to see if I deleted those pictures on my computer and maybe blow them up to see what that is.  Whatever it was, it now is a mystery to me.  I am not afraid of ghosts, but never saw one.  I do know people that had strange things happen in their homes.  Whether they had ghosts or not, I don't know.  I don't live too far from the Gettysburg Battlefield and many people have reported they have seen ghosts there.

Norma

Hey Norma, oh yeah I heard about Gettysburg and the ghost and apparitions.  People have taken a lot of pics of ghosts there.  I hear it's severely haunted.   I know some people believe in ghost and some don't but let's assume there are ghosts.  I'd have to say the Northeast has tons of them, actually the Southeast also as well as the midwest.  Any area of the country or world can be haunted but my point is either more haunted activity is reported from those regions or there is just more.  If I watch a program on haunting especially from the NW I always scratch my head when someone or family moves into a really creepy old home from like 150 years ago or more and they are surprised it's haunted.  I mean it's the NW and the home is older than pizza and people wonder how they ended up in a haunted house.  I guess the NW is a lot older than it is out west and like I say hauntings can be anywhere but they seem to be more in the NW than anywhere in the US followed by the South and the Midwest.   Just my take on it.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #423 on: February 22, 2011, 11:42:52 PM »
Hey Norma, oh yeah I heard about Gettysburg and the ghost and apparitions.  People have taken a lot of pics of ghosts there.  I hear it's severely haunted.   I know some people believe in ghost and some don't but let's assume there are ghosts.  I'd have to say the Northeast has tons of them, actually the Southeast also as well as the midwest.  Any area of the country or world can be haunted but my point is either more haunted activity is reported from those regions or there is just more.  If I watch a program on haunting especially from the NW I always scratch my head when someone or family moves into a really creepy old home from like 150 years ago or more and they are surprised it's haunted.  I mean it's the NW and the home is older than pizza and people wonder how they ended up in a haunted house.  I guess the NW is a lot older than it is out west and like I say hauntings can be anywhere but they seem to be more in the NW than anywhere in the US followed by the South and the Midwest.   Just my take on it.

PizzaEater101,

I also find ghosts interesting, but I surely never saw any. My oldest daughter had lived in an old Victorian home for awhile and the strangest things happened there.  She never saw any ghosts either, but had her oven turned on when she returned from work, and lights turned on when she knew they werenít on when she left.  She didnít live in that home for more than a year.  It just gave her a creepy feeling.  Even a bedroom door that was closed, she found open when she returned from work.  We have a place very near me that is called  Bube's Brewery. http://www.bubesbrewery.com/ghost.htm  People I know have said they have seen ghosts and mysterious things there. I think it was part of the underground railroad.  This link in you go down shows what has happened there. http://www.questparanormalsociety.com/News.asp There are many places near me that are said to be haunted.  Some also in Columbia, Pa.  Someday I would like to go on one of visits to see if I can see anything.  

Norma
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:54:01 PM by norma427 »

Offline cranky

« Reply #424 on: February 23, 2011, 07:10:15 AM »
Hi my friend Cranky,  ;D

Haven't seen you around for awhile.  Hope everything is going well for you.  What does strudel have to do with this thread.   :-D  And what is strudel?  I really have no idea what that is, except to put on apple pie.  I want to try a new kind of pizza dough I have my eye on and it is thinner than the Ultra-thin dough.  Might give it a try in a few weeks.  Do you know what I would type in for the Youtube video you are talking about?  I would be interested in watching the video if I can find it.   :)

Norma

Strrudel is a german pastry.  It is made by mixing up a dough in a similar fashion as starting a pizza dough.  Then it is pressed out on a table, still in a somewhat similar fashion.  That is where the similarity ends.  At that point it is stretched out by hand with several possible methods to a ridiculously thin state, way beyond what you would do to make whatever thin pizza dough you hope to make.   Then it is rolled up with filling inside, which you don't care about, but is kind of interesting to watch.  If you wanted to mimic some of the methods to get whatever thickness pizza dough you want to achieve, watching the video might be helpful, even if it goes beyond what you need.  In any case since you like to bake and cook, seeing this done would be interesting and it is quite amazing.  I think you will find it by typing in strudel making or something similar in the search window on youtube.    Knowing how you like to experiment with just about anything food related, I'll bet after you watch this you might make strudel even if you don't make the thinnest pizza in the world.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #425 on: February 23, 2011, 08:54:41 AM »
Strrudel is a german pastry.  It is made by mixing up a dough in a similar fashion as starting a pizza dough.  Then it is pressed out on a table, still in a somewhat similar fashion.  That is where the similarity ends.  At that point it is stretched out by hand with several possible methods to a ridiculously thin state, way beyond what you would do to make whatever thin pizza dough you hope to make.   Then it is rolled up with filling inside, which you don't care about, but is kind of interesting to watch.  If you wanted to mimic some of the methods to get whatever thickness pizza dough you want to achieve, watching the video might be helpful, even if it goes beyond what you need.  In any case since you like to bake and cook, seeing this done would be interesting and it is quite amazing.  I think you will find it by typing in strudel making or something similar in the search window on youtube.    Knowing how you like to experiment with just about anything food related, I'll bet after you watch this you might make strudel even if you don't make the thinnest pizza in the world.

Cranky,

Thanks for telling me what strudel is.  :) As I posted before I never heard of it before.  I do like to experiment with different kinds of pizzas and will look on Youtube to see what I can find.  I also will search Google to see what I can find.  Thanks for giving me the idea to find out what strudel is. If I find some videos I will let you know. I guess you soon will be thinking about what you want to plant in your garden.  I also am thinking about that.  I appreciated all the help you gave me with gardening last year.  :)

I have been studying about a kind of foccacia I never knew about before.  I first saw it on a bloggers page and since have watched many videos and other looked at other recipes for focaccia-di-recco.
It is amazing to see how thin the dough for focaccia-di-recco can be stretched.  There is no yeast used in focaccia-di-recco, but the pies look so good, with only cheese placed in the middle of two crusts. This is where I first saw about focaccia-di-recco on this ladyís blog. http://cucinadibarbara.blogspot.com/2010/11/focaccia-di-recco-co.html

If I can ever figure out the bakerís percents from different recipes I saw I might also give the focaccia-di-recco a try. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #426 on: February 23, 2011, 02:54:08 PM »
I just saw on PIzza Quest about the next kind of thin crust pie I talked about in my last post.  Pizza Quest and Peter Reinhart must have been reading my mind about the kind of pie I want to try.  ;D  It was posted after I made my last post.

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/147-focaccia-col-formaggio-di-recco.html

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #427 on: February 24, 2011, 03:31:50 PM »
PizzaEater101,

I also find ghosts interesting, but I surely never saw any. My oldest daughter had lived in an old Victorian home for awhile and the strangest things happened there.  She never saw any ghosts either, but had her oven turned on when she returned from work, and lights turned on when she knew they werenít on when she left.  She didnít live in that home for more than a year.  It just gave her a creepy feeling.  Even a bedroom door that was closed, she found open when she returned from work.  We have a place very near me that is called  Bube's Brewery. http://www.bubesbrewery.com/ghost.htm  People I know have said they have seen ghosts and mysterious things there. I think it was part of the underground railroad.  This link in you go down shows what has happened there. http://www.questparanormalsociety.com/News.asp There are many places near me that are said to be haunted.  Some also in Columbia, Pa.  Someday I would like to go on one of visits to see if I can see anything.  

Norma

Norma, thanks for the link to Bube's Brewery.  Very interesting.  I have been to Cincinnati and the underground RR passed through there too and I even went to the UGRR museum it was interesting but no ghost there.

Did your daughter move out of that house because it was haunted or because she wanted to move to a different place anyway?  I bet she never moves into a very old house again after that!  I think in the east most really old houses are haunted anyway.  Just the way it is. 

I have been to Louisville, KY and went over Ohio river over the bridge into Jeffersonville Indiana and there is a creepy old building that was once the Colgate factory and before that a prison.  Guess what, yes it's haunted.  Didn't go in the building but you know how that is, old prison from the 1800s and then factory for decades, guaranteed to be haunted. 

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #428 on: February 24, 2011, 03:35:37 PM »
Check out this photo of my kitchen at night.  No ghost here but my camera is screwed up since I dropped it on vacation in Washington state.  It takes normal pictures most the time, sometimes bad normal pics and sometimes good but sometimes really strange bizarre pics.  I don't know how this happened but the camera is just messed up.  This is spooky -

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #429 on: February 24, 2011, 05:34:26 PM »
James,

I still donít know whether I believe in ghosts and hauntings or not, but believe it might be true.  Since I never really saw any ghosts, I just listen when other people talk about ghosts or hauntings. For some reason it just interests me.

My daughter move out of the house because it made her feel weird, when things kept happening, although she never actually saw it happen.  She would come home from work and different times things werenít normal.  I donít know if she ever will live in a really old building again, but she isnít afraid of ghosts either.

When my brother and I were younger we used to do tic tac on other peoples homes.  My dad taught me how to do that.  That really made a spooky noise in someoneís home.  :-D

I was interested in what you posted about your experiences.  Your camera sure did take a weird picture. It does look spooky.  Thanks for posting what it took.  :)

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #430 on: February 24, 2011, 06:15:06 PM »
Norma,
Do you suppose ghosts like ultrathin pizza?

I watched some strudle stretching youtubes again.  Just as amazing as the first time.  I don't think it will work with raised dough though.  Interesting how they devlop gluten by throwing the dough on the bench a hundred times.  I am working on a high hydration dough now.  It called for a lot of stretch and folds, which I did, but also smacked it on the bench a bunch the way they do strudel.  It is so wet I don't think I'll be able to slide it off the peel.  If I break a pizza and make a mess in the oven the boss gets cranky.  >:(

Cranky

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #431 on: February 24, 2011, 06:41:04 PM »
Norma,
Do you suppose ghosts like ultrathin pizza?

I watched some strudle stretching youtubes again.  Just as amazing as the first time.  I don't think it will work with raised dough though.  Interesting how they devlop gluten by throwing the dough on the bench a hundred times.  I am working on a high hydration dough now.  It called for a lot of stretch and folds, which I did, but also smacked it on the bench a bunch the way they do strudel.  It is so wet I don't think I'll be able to slide it off the peel.  If I break a pizza and make a mess in the oven the boss gets cranky.  >:(

Cranky

Cranky,

I have no idea if ghosts like Ultra-thin pizza. I sure didnít like how the taste of the crust was on this thread. I just put the Ultra-thin shells I had bought for this thread in the trash today.  Maybe the ghosts will come and get them.  ::)

I watched some strudel videos last evening and I find that making strudel is very interesting.  Some of the ones I looked at put eggs in the dough.  I really found those videos fascinating.  I was going to make a dough today for an attempt at a focaccia dough that is something like a strudel like I posted about at Reply 426 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11044.msg128197.html#msg128197

I wonít have time to make that dough tonight though, because I was away this afternoon.  That dough is almost like the strudel dough you told me about, but there are no eggs in the dough and no yeast.

I did see somewhere here on the forum that gluten can be formed by throwing the dough on the table just like strudel.  If you dough is too sticky maybe you need some more stretch and folds.  I had a dough like that on the Pizzarium thread and I had to keep stretching and folding many times until the dough became less sticky.  Best of luck with you pizza.  I hope it turns out well.  Donít let the boss get cranky, you are too nice for that!  ;D

Norma
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:42:37 PM by norma427 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #432 on: May 31, 2011, 10:39:19 PM »
Norma ,
Once again after the WFO had cooled a bit I stretched out 2 of the thawed Losurda dough balls
I Was able to get Ultra thin?  In my opinion and people really loved it from a WFO Could sell this as "light Pizza" to the weight concious crowd 1 slice can be done in 1 bite !  Second pick is with the pizza cutter . almost as thin? Last pic was the full pie The slices  almost stood staight out when cut crispy crunchy  on the edge.   Matter o fact I really liked it too!
John
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:44:27 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #433 on: May 31, 2011, 11:37:56 PM »
Norma ,
Once again after the WFO had cooled a bit I stretched out 2 of the thawed Losurda dough balls
I Was able to get Ultra thin?  In my opinion and people really loved it from a WFO Could sell this as "light Pizza" to the weight concious crowd 1 slice can be done in 1 bite !  Second pick is with the pizza cutter . almost as thin? Last pic was the full pie The slices  almost stood staight out when cut crispy crunchy  on the edge.   Matter o fact I really liked it too!
John

John,

Your Ultra-thin pizzas sure look very thin, and I am sure they tasted a lot better than any of the Ultra-thin pizza I made in this thread.  I could imagine many people would like your Ultra-thin pizzas.  Great job!  ;D Glad you liked your Ultra-thin pizzas.  You did achieve a Ultra-thin pizza.

Norma

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #434 on: June 01, 2011, 08:24:34 AM »
I think the paper towels I had were thicker than the final dough  :)
I think its all the goodies they put in the dough balls to extend their life that make it so extensible.
This is a 20oz. ball and I could have kept going !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #435 on: June 01, 2011, 11:13:04 AM »
I think the paper towels I had were thicker than the final dough  :)
I think its all the goodies they put in the dough balls to extend their life that make it so extensible.
This is a 20oz. ball and I could have kept going !
John

John,

Thanks for posting the picture of how thin your dough was and how much you could stretch it.  It must be all the goodies they put into the dough balls that makes them stretch so beautifully.  It also takes skills to be able to stretch a dough like you did.  Great job on your skills, too!  ;D  Wish I could have tasted your Ultra-thin pizza. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #436 on: June 13, 2011, 10:10:14 AM »
I get different emails from professionals to add me as a connection on Linkin, but I never respond.  This morning I received another invitation from Doug Bronsky.  If anyone remembers who Doug Bronsky was, he was the president of Ultra Think Pizza Shells. pizzas.http://www.manta.com/c/mm58h7j/ultra-thin-pizza-shells

Wonder why Doug is interested in me.  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #437 on: September 30, 2012, 10:47:10 AM »
I think it is interesting that Ultra Thin has a new crust with hemp in the dough.  I wonder how that tastes.  :-\

Article on the right on page 37 http://www.pmqmag-digital.com/pmqmag/201208?pg=37#pg37

On the left there is also an article about Greenwhat Freekeh.  That really looks different too.

http://www.freekehlicious.com/

It is made from green wheat.  That is sure new to me.

Norma

pizzapan