Author Topic: lightweight mobile pizza oven_ suggestions_ help?  (Read 2189 times)

Offline droolpie

lightweight mobile pizza oven_ suggestions_ help?
« on: May 27, 2010, 02:48:26 PM »
hello_

I'm working currently to design a mobile pizza cart to bring tasty pies to the people around me. I have built a few prototypes before but am wrestling with the next step.  In the past I have used recycled food grade 55 gallon drums and insulated it with a cob/pumice mixture. they work well, take forever to get to temperature and the enclosure is penetrated a number of times so it's more just like having a pizza stone over a fire in a grill....nothing special.

right now in the pizza cart design I'm working to use the highly reflective insulator ceramic fiber.  this needs to be completely enclosed away from the actual fire.  the deck would be a monolithic stone about 26" by 40" square.  What i was imagining would be a stainless steel, grade 310 or similar heat resistant stainless steel and create a catenary dome over the stone.  i would then insulate and place a second stainless steel dome on top of that. [imagine the stainless steel dome restaurants put on a plate to keep it hot, there would be 2 and insulation in between and the plate is the pizza stone.]

this oven would be wood fired and have an opening/ chimney similar to that of a Pompeii oven, where the chimney exhausts above the opening. [if i have that correct.]

in my mind, and paper the stone would be heavy as heck, but the dome and insulation would be relatively light compared to a firebrick dome.

I'm using a catenary dome instead of a regular dome because of the shape the food cart has allowed me as well as the added space to sling pies.

my concerns are around the stainless steel's heat resistance over time,  also i guess I'm just looking to see if anyone else thought that this may work, or good criticism [which i often find on this forum]

thank you in advance.

Offline Maestro Pizzaiolo

Re: lightweight mobile pizza oven_ suggestions_ help?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 04:07:57 PM »
hello_

I'm working currently to design a mobile pizza cart to bring tasty pies to the people around me. I have built a few prototypes before but am wrestling with the next step.  In the past I have used recycled food grade 55 gallon drums and insulated it with a cob/pumice mixture. they work well, take forever to get to temperature and the enclosure is penetrated a number of times so it's more just like having a pizza stone over a fire in a grill....nothing special.

right now in the pizza cart design I'm working to use the highly reflective insulator ceramic fiber.  this needs to be completely enclosed away from the actual fire.  the deck would be a monolithic stone about 26" by 40" square.  What i was imagining would be a stainless steel, grade 310 or similar heat resistant stainless steel and create a catenary dome over the stone.  i would then insulate and place a second stainless steel dome on top of that. [imagine the stainless steel dome restaurants put on a plate to keep it hot, there would be 2 and insulation in between and the plate is the pizza stone.]

this oven would be wood fired and have an opening/ chimney similar to that of a Pompeii oven, where the chimney exhausts above the opening. [if i have that correct.]

in my mind, and paper the stone would be heavy as heck, but the dome and insulation would be relatively light compared to a firebrick dome.

I'm using a catenary dome instead of a regular dome because of the shape the food cart has allowed me as well as the added space to sling pies.

my concerns are around the stainless steel's heat resistance over time,  also i guess I'm just looking to see if anyone else thought that this may work, or good criticism [which i often find on this forum]

thank you in advance.

Hello,

I have seen some really cool mobil pizzaria's popping up lately.  I have seen some bread truck conversions and some pull behind trailers.  If you look at your options I would think a modular oven would fit best and be very cool.  There are a few suppliers like Earthstone and Forno Autentico  You can get a great modular oven for a reasonable price from fornoautentico.com the Earthstone sells some modualrs but they are a little pricey.
They also have the Acunto oven which is made in Naples Italy.. Very cool.
Good Luck and hope it works out for you...  If your gonna feed the world why not feed them pizza  :pizza: :chef: