Author Topic: A good grilled pizza?  (Read 4226 times)

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: A good grilled pizza?
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2010, 08:50:02 PM »
I've been thinking about an updated try of this pizza based on what I've read here, but am away from home for a couple more days. Any new news on the grilled pizza front? Recipes fpr Al Forno's dough are in numerous palces on the internet (and in one of their books I'm assuming) has anyone converted that to % and tried it? Would you?

Jeff

ETA: After reading a bit more I'm thinking it's more about technique than dough formulation. So, maybe I'll put together a new batch of dough and mess around with that when I get back.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 08:56:03 PM by jeff v »
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2010, 11:48:57 PM »
I've been meaning to try it, but haven't gotten around. I need to go buy some more mozzarella and tomatoes...and lump charcoal (which I understand is very important) and a chimney starter. I'm also running low on EVOO.

I'm looking forward to stretching it out in a pool of EVOO, though.

Scott, do you know the weight of the doughballs from Al Forno?

Offline angdeer

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 04:29:22 PM »
Love grilled pizza!  We make them at home in the summer for family outings. A great idea is to have everyone bring a topping and then combine all the ingredients on a table and let people make their own.  We own a pizzeria so we don't make people bring toppings but wine is always welcomed.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 09:51:21 PM »
I forget the dough ball weight, but I think it was around 450 grams.   Im sure the recipes on the internet are good, but at least these days the dough is much more basic than what they have said it is.  A friend of mine worked there and said it was just KAAP, water, salt and yeast mixed once a day.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 01:16:08 AM »
Scott, do you have any idea what temp the grill is at? I'm not really familiar with grilling, so I'm probably going to get a chimney starter. Should the charcoal be turning grey, starting to turn grey?

As for the ball weight, 450 grams seems like an awful lot of dough for, what, a 12 inch pie? I might try my normal dough ball weight of about 220-240 grams. Would the skin being too thin be bad for the grill?

And what technique is used as per cooking? Cook one side, flip to cold side, top, then cook again?

I'm really excited to try this. There has been some rain here, but I should be able to do it tomorrow.

hotsawce, yes, this is what they would do if they were using mozzarella, but they actually use fontina.    This process works great with both cheeses.   Yes, stretch and form in a pool of oil!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 07:58:46 AM »
hotsawce,

If you want to see what temperatures Tom Lehmann the "Dough Doctor" uses and how he grills his pizzas here is the link.  http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9046#p61718

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 10:06:29 AM »
Norma and friends, the method tom lehmann is using is to actually top the pizza, then cook it on the grill as if it were a normal pizza.    I am sure it makes a good pizza, although I worry about a serious gum layer.   Having never tried that method I am not sure, but the methods I am talking about are what is done at Al Forno in providence RI, which is where the grilled pizza was first introduced (to the US in a restaurant at least), and where it has definitely been perfected.    I put it right up there with my top 10 favorite pizzerias in the US, and it is something I wish everyone could try.

Hotsawce The grill is as hot as they can get it.   I am no expert, but it seems that after trying both that lump hardwood charcoal seems to burn a little cooler than normal kingsford type charcoal.  Because of this it is really important to keep the coals burning red hot.   If they turn too grey the heat seems to go down on my grill.   

I am sure you can use any size dough ball you want to.  I make large pizzas because my grill is over sized.   Just be careful that its not too too thin, or it gets too crackery (for my tastes).

When I mentioned par cooking, I was referring to things such as sausage, onions, or any of the toppings that go on the pizza.   The method I use for the dough is what is used at al forno, and there the pizza dough is put on the grill for a minute, flipped, toppings are very quickly applied, and the pizza is pulled off after a short stay on the grill.   It also works to use a lower temperature, but as most of us have learned, a faster pizza can yield a different crust texture which is preferred by some.   If you want  a crispier pizza it is possible to do a slower bake and that works great too.

Good luck everyone! 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 04:16:58 PM »
I have been working with San Felice flour lately, and it is really really great for making grilled pizza.   It made my best grilled crust so far.   

pizzapan