Author Topic: Non Aluminum Dough Pans  (Read 2236 times)

scott123

Non Aluminum Dough Pans
« on: February 05, 2010, 03:46:15 AM »
I know there's lots of different approaches to storing dough, but I'm partial to individual containers.  I've been playing around with all the round tupperware variations and they're either too small, not flat bottomed, or, most importantly, the lids pop and I end up with dry dough (no, don't want to do the pin hole thing). 

So, I'm looking at dough pans.  I'm not too hot on aluminum.  I don't buy into any of the health claims about aluminum, but I can definitely taste it when aluminum reacts with salt and acid, and, although dough doesn't contain much salt or acid, the 3 days that I typically store dough would probably be long enough for some sort of reaction.

So, non aluminum dough pans.  One would think some enterprising chap would have come up with a stainless dough pan, but nope, I can't find one.  I did manage to find plastic pans:

http://www.bakedeco.com/a/plastic-dough-pan-s-12232.htm

but, before I pull the trigger, I was wondering if anyone had any other leads.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Non Aluminum Dough Pans
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:06:58 AM »
scott123,

I have tried many different dough pans and equivalents, including plastic, metal and glass containers, plastic storage bags, and even reused bread bags, and they all have a place in the home for pizza making. However, after member November posted at Reply 103 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3985.msg41556.html#msg41556, I bought a few Pyrex glass bowls (with lids) and found that I liked them because I can see what is happening to the dough without having to remove the lid, as I would have to do, of course, if I were using a metal container or even a translucent bowl. I especially look for bubbles at the sides and bottoms of the doughs as an early indication that the doughs are reaching the point of fermentation where I should think about using them before they overferment. I also found the really clear plastic storage containers work well for the same reasons. The Pyrex bowls do not have a completely flat bottom but the clear plastic containers I use do have flat bottoms. You can see one of my clear plastic containers in the second photo at Reply 772 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg65487.html#msg65487. My recollection is that that container is a Food Saver container.

Peter

Offline Mike Madan

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 02:45:15 PM »
Actually the best way of storing dough is using a professional dough tray.  The problem for the home pizza maker is these are way to big for a normal home refridgerator. 
This problem will soon be solved as DoughMate(r) will be introducing the "Artisan Dough Tray and Lid" this summer.  This tray will hold six to eight  7oz dough balls perfectly and will fit in the normal home fridge as it is have the size of a standard tray.   Stay tuned to www.doughmate.com and the DoughMate FaceBook page for updates on when it will be available.   :)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »
Years ago i was given a very large stainless steel bowl with a strong plastic lid.  The first time I used it for a cold rise in the fridge nearly gave me a heart attack.  Just as I was walking by the fridge something went bang in the fridge.  When I opened the door, the lid had hit the shelf above it so hard, everything on the shelf was turned over.

Randy