Author Topic: Camoldi starter, rise very temperature dependent  (Read 1339 times)

Offline jeffb

Camoldi starter, rise very temperature dependent
« on: May 30, 2010, 09:50:59 AM »
Hey guys, I'm new here but have been skimming the forums for a while and found a great deal of good information, thanks for that.

I've started using the Camoldi starter, from Sourdo. I made one batch of dough, about a week ago, using 5% starter by weight. I did a room temp bulk rise for 3 hrs and threw it in the fridge for a cold rise. I got almost no rise. When cooking little to no oven spring. I made 3 dough balls and took one out of the fridge, it rose.

I made another batch yesterday, gave it a 4 hr bulk rise at about 80 degrees (florida). At that point the rise was minimal. I divided up the dough, put them in seperate containers and left them out at 80 degrees over night. When I woke up they had more than doubled in size.

I should probably also say that in both cases I took the starter out of the fridge and put it through 2 feeding cycles before incorporating it into the dough. In both cases it looked equally active.

My question is, is this typical with the Camoldi starter? It seems that mine is very temp sensetive, in that it only likes higher temps.

Offline Matthew

Re: Camoldi starter, rise very temperature dependent
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 10:22:45 AM »
Hey guys, I'm new here but have been skimming the forums for a while and found a great deal of good information, thanks for that.

I've started using the Camoldi starter, from Sourdo. I made one batch of dough, about a week ago, using 5% starter by weight. I did a room temp bulk rise for 3 hrs and threw it in the fridge for a cold rise. I got almost no rise. When cooking little to no oven spring. I made 3 dough balls and took one out of the fridge, it rose.

I made another batch yesterday, gave it a 4 hr bulk rise at about 80 degrees (florida). At that point the rise was minimal. I divided up the dough, put them in separate containers and left them out at 80 degrees over night. When I woke up they had more than doubled in size.

I should probably also say that in both cases I took the starter out of the fridge and put it through 2 feeding cycles before incorporating it into the dough. In both cases it looked equally active.

My question is, is this typical with the Camoldi starter? It seems that mine is very temp sensetive, in that it only likes higher temps.

Jeff,
What is your room temperature?  You should bulk ferment the dough until it is at least double in size which would typically take between 18-24 hours sometimes up to 36 hours depending on the temperature after that you can form the dough balls & let them do a second proof for 3-5 hours; at that point you can refrigerate them if you wish.  Once your dough goes in the fridge the starter in the dough will become dormant.  That's why you didn't see any rise in your first attempt.

Matt

Offline jeffb

Re: Camoldi starter, rise very temperature dependent
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 11:59:49 AM »
Thanks Matt, that makes sense.

On the next go 'round, I'll bulk rise at room temp (75-80 degrees) until doubled and note how long that takes before I divide and refridgerate.

JB