Author Topic: Penzey's Pizza Seasoning  (Read 4261 times)

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
Penzey's Pizza Seasoning
« on: March 26, 2005, 03:29:34 AM »
Just had to post this for you guys who havent tried this stuff yet, its the real deal. this will make all the difference in your sauce:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyspizzaseas.html

i just got my bag and DAMN finally my sauce tastes as good or better than most pizzeria's.. it has that pizzeria smell.

freakin awesome. pick some up.   8)

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Penzey's Pizza Seasoning
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 01:55:43 PM »
I just added it to my sauce---Will let you know tomorrow---THANKS---Mel

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 02:53:44 PM »
been using it for a couple of years.  Best sauce i have ever tasted.
When making a Chicago sprinkle on top just before going in the oven.
Randy

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 05:51:43 PM »
For Randy's simple Penzeys sauce recipe, see Reply #4 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,663.msg6019.html#msg6019. I sometimes combine the 6-in-1s with San Marzanos when I have some of the San Marzanos left over.

Peter

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 08:27:49 PM »
While I find their pizza seasoning to have more salt than I'd like, Penzey's Turkish Oregano is the absolute best I've ever used. I usually sprinkle some 'tween the sauce and cheese on anything I'm baking!

- Al

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 10:27:30 PM »
pizzoid, This is a different brand than I use, but check this oregano out and you will probably never look back.  The brand I use comes from Sicily on the stalk just like this one and totally blows the penzy's Turkish away.

http://www.markethallfoods.com/index.php?main_page=product_mh_info&products_id=285
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 10:30:28 PM by scott r »

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 12:40:16 AM »
Thanks for the tip Scott.  I just put in my order in and I can't wait to try it!  Pete

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 12:45:23 AM »
if you guys can find the kind with the purple stems it is even better.  There are a few brands of this stuff floating around.  Right now my source stopped carrying the purple stuff and have something more similar to this.  Still amazing.

Offline Peteg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 08:19:24 AM »
Scott, Have you ever grown this particular variety and dried it yourself?  I've only grown one type of Sicilian oregano and it was terrific but I'd like to try something different next year.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 11:35:30 AM »
Unfortunately I live in the city and don't really have a yard to grow in.  It is really killing me because the basil I get at the grocery store is not right.  I am sure home grown is the best, but this Sicilian dried oregano (on the stalk) is really special.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 05:35:17 PM »
if you guys can find the kind with the purple stems it is even better.  There are a few brands of this stuff floating around.  Right now my source stopped carrying the purple stuff and have something more similar to this.  Still amazing.

Yea I had some herbs with purple stems before.... I don't think it was for eating though... :-D

I know what you mean. I have seen this once or twice at specialty nurseries. I think the purple stem oregano is a Turkish variety.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 06:06:02 PM »
DNA Dan,

I believe what scott has in mind is a type of oregano such as shown in this photo: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2732.msg23611.html#msg23611 (Reply 14). The woody stems are purple. The oregano I now have growing in my yard looks like the top part of what is shown in the photo with the flowers but the stems are not yet woody and are still green.

Peter

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 12:20:25 PM »
This site http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/Oregano.htm has some good reading on some culinary oreganos.

I thought the purple stem variety was "Greek or Turkish" in origin. It turns out that it's the same species, but a different subspecies.

Check out http://www.herbsociety.org/origanum/ovulgare.php which further details that there are many subspecies of Origanum vulgare. They are calling a Russian subspecies as having "purple bracts" and I believe this is what you are refering to. The variety is referred to as Origanum vulgare the supspecies  gracile If you look closely at the photo the bracts and the margin of the leaves are purple. (the photo is from another website). Just regular Greek oregano which is not purple is subspecies hirtum I think many nurseries just call "Greek oregano" Greek oregano and they do not classify the subspecies. If you look at the bracts and the margin on the leaves you should be able to identify the russian subtype at any age. 

I agree that this is a wonderful variety to grow. Italians are kick ass  :chef:, but don't let the name or color of the plant distract you from doing your own blind taste test. After all Italy represents a melting pot of the ancient world and certainly a lot of what makes it great today in cuisine was introduced from other parts of the world to the native species.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 12:35:37 PM by DNA Dan »

pizzapan