Author Topic: Pita won't make pocket  (Read 1797 times)

Offline gijoe985

Pita won't make pocket
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:09:49 AM »
Hey all,

For those who don't know, pitas are made with a dough recipe almost identical to Lehmann dough. Just more oil as far as I have seen. My problem, my pitas always come out as pocketless flatbread (which is actually what I prefer) but I would like to know how to make the pockets. I think it is because I hand stretch them instead of using a rolling pin. I tried googling it, but didn't find much.

If you want a recipe, use the Lehmann dough calc and use the regular %s except 4% for olive oil. Then you cook them on a hot stone (full oven heat) and flip them after about 1-3 minutes.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pita won't make pocket
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 10:45:07 AM »
High-heat is important. At lower temps a crust will form before the expansion of gas and water that creates the pocket.

Offline Crider

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 02:23:20 PM »
Don't forget to let the dough rest for 10 to 20 minutes after you've stretched it. It's the opposite when making naan bread -- put it in immediately to keep it from puffing up.

Offline gdest

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »
I'm new here but I think I can help here. For the pita pocket the way to cook the bread would first cook the bottom of the bread in a dry pan over mid heat. Once the skin on the bottom is formed you place the bread under the boiler and the top will then rise. Remove from the oven once the bread top starts browing. Total cook time for both in the dry pan and under the broiler is about 5-6 mins.

Offline sbj

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 07:25:43 PM »
As Bill/SFNM says, high heat is very important. I make pita fairly often and have done so with different ovens in different places for many years. Whatever the ovenís highest heat is, thatís where I set it. I use a stone, but have also at times, as a guest baker at friendsí houses, used an inverted cast iron pan. Either way place the stone or cast iron pan as low as you can in the oven and preheat for at least an hour, longer if your oven is slow to come up to temperature.

The dough needs to be pretty thin when rolled or stretched out, and it really helps if the doughís thickness is consistent all the way across and around the disc. (Typically I roll out to about 1/8Ē thickness. Sometimes thicker areas of dough wonít release for the puffing up and they can hold back the thinner areas of dough from puffing as well. Iíve always had the best results when using a rolling pin. When using the rolling pin, I try to use it in the same way one rolls out homemade pasta dough, a way that involves less pushing down on the dough than pressing lightly and pushing the dough forward in front of the pin and back when rolling it back. This stretches the dough rather than compressing it so much by just pressing down on it. And using the rolling pin helps make the thickness even which in turn facilitates the entire top layer popping up from the bottom like a balloon.

Iíve never used oil in pita dough, and I wonder if the oil might have an inhibiting effect on the rise.

Stephen