Author Topic: What is best dough recipe for Baker's Pride Electric Oven?  (Read 4749 times)

Offline andreaw

70 year old restarant wants to begin selling pizza..Please help!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: What is best dough recipe for Baker's Pride Electric Oven?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 12:00:38 PM »
andreaw,

How big is your Bakerís Pride electric oven and what type of pizza are you looking to make?  NY style, Sicilian, Chicago Style, Greek Style or other type?  Did you try baking any kind of pizza before in your oven?  Also did you ever make any kind of pizza dough before?  What type of flour do you plan on using?

I use a Bakerís Pride GP-61 countertop propane gas oven.

I really don't know if I can help you or not, but could you please first answer the questions above.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline andreaw

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 01:45:21 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply..It is a Baker's Pride electric table top 2 drawer oven with stone bottom.  Reaches 600 degrees...We are looking to make a thin crust rustic pizza..We want a crunchy crust , light sauce with some traditional toppings..I am trying to achieve probably what a wood fired oven would do without the hassle of a WFO...Unfortunately we do not have the space.  We are mainly a homemade pasta restaurant but wanted to add pizza as an item because a lot of the shops around us have closed and we thought it would be a way to add something to our place since we have been around so long !  Hopefully this helps you answer my questions!  I appreciate your time!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »
andreaw,

Right now I am making something like a Artisan pizza NY style with a poolish preferment. This is what the pizzas look like with this dough formula. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg95654.html#msg95654

It is a thin Rustic looking pizza, but if you never made pizza before a good place to start would be on the Lehmann thread. I first started out with a basic Lehmann formula. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1453.msg13193.html#msg13193

You could look though those different pizzas and see if that is something you might want to replicate.  The regular Lehmann dough is fairly easy to make if you are just starting out.  Do you have any dough management skills? 

You can also register at PMQ think tank and pose questions there. That is a place many pizza operators frequent.  http://thinktank.pmq.com/   They have helped me out when I first was starting to make pizza.

I have played around with the temperature of my oven quite a bit, and now am finding I can produce a better pie at a lower temperature of around 500-525 degrees F.  That will all depend on what kind of formula you choose, what kind of flour is used, how much hydration, and many other variables.  Each oven even has different characteristics and different hot spots. 

Do you have any ideas if you want to use bromated flour or not?

Look around the forum and let me know if you have any other questions.  There are many people on this forum that are willing to help. 

Norma

Offline SmokinGuitarPlayer

• Owner of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com
    • Fred's Music & BBQ Supply
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 11:19:20 PM »
Hey Norma .. long time no hear ...I've been busy ..I guess you have been too. Hey , can you point me to the basic, lehmann dough or the recipe you use. I need a new "starting point" . I went to the link in your post above but it was so confusing that I couldn't figure out what the basic recipe was ... I've watch a video of Lehmann and he used.
FLOUR 100%
WATER 60%
YEAST .5
SALT 1.9
OIL 3
SUGAR (OPTIONAL) 2

Does this sound right? for Basic "pizzeria" type dough ...seems like a lot of oil ..
Guitar player, dealer and collector. Owner and operator of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com. Seller of barbecue grills and smokers, specializing on the Big Green Egg ceramic grill and all related barbecue cooking supplies...and Wood Fired Ovens and pizza making supplies.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 11:55:18 PM »
Fred, Here's what I generally make;
Flour 100% (KASL)
Water 61%
IDY .25
Salt 1.75
oil   2
no sugar
48 hr. cold ferment

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 12:04:43 AM »
Thanks Norma ..perhaps I'll use yours as a new "starting point" for experimentation .... you should come up some day and we can fire up my demo Forno Bravo and make some pies !
FB
Guitar player, dealer and collector. Owner and operator of www.fredsmusicandbbq.com. Seller of barbecue grills and smokers, specializing on the Big Green Egg ceramic grill and all related barbecue cooking supplies...and Wood Fired Ovens and pizza making supplies.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 06:52:42 AM »
Hey Norma .. long time no hear ...I've been busy ..I guess you have been too. Hey , can you point me to the basic, lehmann dough or the recipe you use. I need a new "starting point" . I went to the link in your post above but it was so confusing that I couldn't figure out what the basic recipe was ... I've watch a video of Lehmann and he used.
FLOUR 100%
WATER 60%
YEAST .5
SALT 1.9
OIL 3
SUGAR (OPTIONAL) 2

Does this sound right? for Basic "pizzeria" type dough ...seems like a lot of oil ..

Fred,

Good to hear from you, too.  I haven't gotten up your way lately. 

This is the formula Peter set-forth for 1 dough ball for the poolish preferment for the Lehmann dough.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg90226.html#msg90226
This is the formula for 5 dough balls of the same formula. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg88687.html#msg88687

This formula isnít able to be figured for different size batches other than one or five dough balls and also for 10 and 15 lb. batches, unless you are really good with math.  If you want the link to 10 or 15 lb. batches let me know.  If you need any other help, with what I do or how I prepare this formula, let me know, I can help you.

This is the dough I use at market.  I have been playing around with different starters and maybe someday, I will come up and bring some of my doughs up to try in your demo Forno Bravo.  That would be fun.   ;D Let me know when you are available.  Thanks for the invite.  :)

Norma
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 06:54:17 AM by norma427 »

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 07:56:29 AM »
Norma ...I'm going to use that recipe but play around with IDY instead and see what happens. I've been experimenting with different blends of caputo / varioius King Arthur / All Trumps flour ... I think I'm getting myself confused! I've been raiding my shelves but having fun ...anyway ... yes, do come up sometime... if you want on a saturday we can fire up the WFO and make a bunch of pies ..that way there are usually people around to eat it all. Also, maybe you want to do a demo ??
FB

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 09:06:22 PM »
Norma ...I'm going to use that recipe but play around with IDY instead and see what happens. I've been experimenting with different blends of caputo / varioius King Arthur / All Trumps flour ... I think I'm getting myself confused! I've been raiding my shelves but having fun ...anyway ... yes, do come up sometime... if you want on a saturday we can fire up the WFO and make a bunch of pies ..that way there are usually people around to eat it all. Also, maybe you want to do a demo ??
FB

Fred,

I do use IDY in the poolish preferment and also use KASL as the flour.  The pizza you ate at market was from this same dough.  Glad to hear you are having fun.  ;D  I would really like to try your WFO with some of my doughs.  I have tried Steveís (Ev) WFO and his WFO really bakes well.  He built his own WFO this past summer.  I donít know about a demo, but will think about it.  I will call you sometime. 

Let me know if you need any help.

Norma

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 08:35:01 AM »
Norma , you can come up and play with the wfo anytime ... I just need notice to dig it out , make sure I have wood etc. etc. etc. Maybe when the weather gets nicer.
FB

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 10:08:08 PM »
Norma , you can come up and play with the wfo anytime ... I just need notice to dig it out , make sure I have wood etc. etc. etc. Maybe when the weather gets nicer.
FB

Fred,

Thanks so much for saying I could come up and play with your WFO anytime.  ;D  Maybe Steve (Ev) could come along, too.  He does have a WFO he built this summer.  I think you met Steve at market.  We baked in his WFO a few times. 

I will call you ahead of time so you can be prepared.  I also can make some test doughs if you want me to.  I can understand you want to wait under the weather gets better.  I really donít like this cold weather. 

I appreciate you extended an invitation for me to try out your WFO.  I really like to watch how they bake!  What kind of doughs are you baking in the WFO?  Are you using any starters in your doughs?

Norma

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 07:30:28 PM »
Norma ... I've been experimenting with a sort-of lehman style dough using mix of caputo flours (pizzeria and rinforzata) or 50/50 caputo pizzeria and kasl ..I'm really liking the way the pies get. ...I bought an Italian commercial , very small , electric pizza oven that will bake up to 13" pies ..the kind with stones above and below ... works very good and I'm getting great results with that , also baking on the Big Green Egg and the WFO of course. ... So I 've been having a pretty good time, making different pies, neopolitan, new york-ish, sicilian etc. etc.

So yes, some day , on a saturday preferably but it could be any day ... come up , bring some dough balls if you like and we'll make some pies ..if you do it on saturday , we can invite customers and feed them and advertise your pizza stand at the same time.

See you soon.
FB

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 07:42:47 PM »
Norma ... I've been experimenting with a sort-of lehman style dough using mix of caputo flours (pizzeria and rinforzata) or 50/50 caputo pizzeria and kasl ..I'm really liking the way the pies get. ...I bought an Italian commercial , very small , electric pizza oven that will bake up to 13" pies ..the kind with stones above and below ... works very good and I'm getting great results with that , also baking on the Big Green Egg and the WFO of course. ... So I 've been having a pretty good time, making different pies, neopolitan, new york-ish, sicilian etc. etc.

So yes, some day , on a saturday preferably but it could be any day ... come up , bring some dough balls if you like and we'll make some pies ..if you do it on saturday , we can invite customers and feed them and advertise your pizza stand at the same time.

See you soon.
FB

Fred,

Your experiments sound fascinating.  :)  I am anxious to try out some of your pies.  Wow, the Italian commercial oven sounds great!  You can bake pizzas many ways. 

I can make it most Saturdays.  You can let me know when you want me to come. Just let me know ahead of time so I can prepare some doughs.  Hopefully the weather will change in the next few months.  I look forward to seeing your WFO and commercial oven.  You didnít have the WFO the last time I was at your business. 

Thanks,

Norma

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 08:12:03 PM »
Norma ...the oven is a Gourmet Pizza Express thing ..I think it's Italian ...there's a ton of Italian in the manual ..anyway ... 13" thing ..got it on ebay ... I think the top element might be infrared ... doesn't work as good as a Forno Bravo WFO but good in winter.
FB

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 08:58:06 PM »
Norma ...the oven is a Gourmet Pizza Express thing ..I think it's Italian ...there's a ton of Italian in the manual ..anyway ... 13" thing ..got it on ebay ... I think the top element might be infrared ... doesn't work as good as a Forno Bravo WFO but good in winter.
FB

Fred,

I am not sure what kind of oven you have.  I never saw one before and I sure can't read Italian, unless Google translates it for me.  How big is your Forno Bravo WFO.  Did you ever post pictures on the forum?

Norma

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 09:36:28 PM »
Norma ..I have 6 videos using the Forno Bravo - our demo oven is a Primavera 60 ... most of the ovens we sell are larger ones but this one works fine for one pie at a time...here's a link to the videos. ..

One of them is when I visited where they make the actual ovens. WE've sold a bunch and everybody loves them.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/706.htm

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 10:29:52 PM »
Norma ..I have 6 videos using the Forno Bravo - our demo oven is a Primavera 60 ... most of the ovens we sell are larger ones but this one works fine for one pie at a time...here's a link to the videos. ..

One of them is when I visited where they make the actual ovens. WE've sold a bunch and everybody loves them.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/706.htm

Fred,

I enjoyed the video.  Thanks for the link.  I really love to watch how a WFO bakes.  When I went to Steve's (Ev) home and saw how his WFO baked, I was amazed.

Norma

Offline cranky

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 05:32:10 PM »
Fred,

I enjoyed the video.  Thanks for the link.  I really love to watch how a WFO bakes.  When I went to Steve's (Ev) home and saw how his WFO baked, I was amazed.

Norma

Norma,

Saw you pie on Slice, Monday Pies.  Very nice!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
Norma,

Saw you pie on Slice, Monday Pies.  Very nice!

Cranky,

Thanks for your kind words.   :)

Norma

pizzapan