Author Topic: Pizza stones etc  (Read 7458 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Pizza stones etc
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »
i should also add he said to use quarry tiles, and they are more expensive than soapstone

sounds like he's gotten the 2 mixed up or he's smoking some good stuff.

Offline sear

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2010, 03:43:18 PM »
sounds like he's gotten the 2 mixed up or he's smoking some good stuff.

it was like i had to try arguing evolution over creationism, he wont further his knowledge so whatever he already knows is the word of god.

pointless.

so i called a few more places , vermont soapstone and the place in jersey scott posted.
vermont was at like 120 +45 shipped  (also said the old man sounded crazy) and the one in jersey was at 78 and im waiting on shipping but i will be ordering it from them and its about a 2 week wait to get it

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2010, 12:36:19 PM »
Here's my condensed version of what stones I recommend for pizza (from best to worst with a heavily slanted NY style/high heat/short baking time perspective):

Soapstone

Nothing can touch this for thermal ruggedness and conductivity.  Can be fairly expensive depending on where you live though.

Cordierite

Rugged and relatively conductive, reasonably priced, but you need a thick slab (1" is ideal), which can get a little tricky to track down. 

Firebrick

Conductivity depends on composition, but, generally, firebrick is extremely rugged, dirt cheap but not all that conductive.  Less conductivity translates into better heat retention, but, expect much longer preheats. Lower conductivity also completely rules out weaker than normal ovens.  If you're oven can't hit 550 f. cross firebrick off the list (and track down soapstone).

Fibrament

Both thermally weaker and less conductive than cordierite at about the same price (or more depending on your local cordierite resources).

Unglazed Quarry Tiles

Conductivity can change depending on composition, but generally these have the worse conductivity of all baking stone materials. They also require extensive detective work to make sure they are food grade, as some unglazed tiles contain toxins.
scott123,

I don't know if anyone else here has a soapstone  pizza stone.

Could you post a picture of what the crust comes out like and some details about the oven and dough?

i am curious  how this works in a regular oven and if with such a high conductivity does the bottom just end up being baked well but the top ends up not being done enough... ?
Patrick

pizzapan