Author Topic: MBE (Mini Black Egg) Project  (Read 60891 times)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: MBE (Mini Black Egg) Project
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 08:37:06 AM »
Bummer about the glass.  Good advice, next time lead with the squirrel/nuts story.  Also, consider cutting the glass in a straight line near the break and pushing it up against the wall for a nice custom piece.  Chip the glass like the other sides and no one will know.

Back on the oven.  I'd run a test with heavy duty aluminum foil under the stone and/or play with the upper venting.  Heat flow is hard to predict.  Also, I'd guess you will have better results with the lava rock near the stone rather than the base.  At the base it does more choking of the airflow, at the top, perhaps a little better radiation on the cooking surface (but convection heat to the stone is far more important).

That 900F result in 20 minutes seems weird to me - too hot, too fast.  Using an IR gun, I once got readings that didn't make sense and it turned out I didn't measure the stone temp.  Even though the dot was pointed on the gun, the heat reading was off the cover - in my case.

Dave

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 01:13:24 AM »
Paul, once your pizza business takes off you'll be able to buy your car back if you.  But you'll be so busy making pizzas you won't even have time to drive.  ;)

Bummer about the glass.  Good advice, next time lead with the squirrel/nuts story.  Also, consider cutting the glass in a straight line near the break and pushing it up against the wall for a nice custom piece.  Chip the glass like the other sides and no one will know.

Back on the oven.  I'd run a test with heavy duty aluminum foil under the stone and/or play with the upper venting.  Heat flow is hard to predict.  Also, I'd guess you will have better results with the lava rock near the stone rather than the base.  At the base it does more choking of the airflow, at the top, perhaps a little better radiation on the cooking surface (but convection heat to the stone is far more important).

That 900F result in 20 minutes seems weird to me - too hot, too fast.  Using an IR gun, I once got readings that didn't make sense and it turned out I didn't measure the stone temp.  Even though the dot was pointed on the gun, the heat reading was off the cover - in my case.

Dave

Dave, good ideas for the table.  I'll run it by the wife.  :-D  She wasn't too pissed at me, I was exaggerating a bit.

I don't remember the temps exactly but they were in the high 800's, but it was b/c of the thin stone and really no true heat barrier.  I think for that one I also had the burner going at 3/4 power.  BTW, that thin stone bit the dust with the glass table.  It was sitting on the edge that ended up cracking.

I agree about the lava rocks needing to be higher up.  Here's the latest mods.  Tell me what you think and if it will work.  Well I'll give it try and let you know if it works or not.

1st mod is I decided to put a metal disk to lower the dome a bit.  This will help with airflow a bit more and decrease the amount of air circulating in the dome. 

2nd mod is to create a heat diffuser/barrier right under the hearth.  Instead of hanging a pie pan, I decided to use one of our old TFAL pans.  Pie pans are around 9" and the pan is 10".  It should work better since my stone is right at 12".
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 07:11:12 AM by Tranman »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 01:19:13 AM »
Instead of drilling a whole in the center of the pan and hanging it from the grate I decided to see if I could elevate it.
I cut a small circular piece from a firebrick to sit on the burner grate.   The purpose of this is to just elevate the pan.  The flames will mostly go around the circular stone rather than hit it directly in the center of it.  With the pan on top, I'm hoping to guide the flames and heat up and outward, towards the perimeter of the hearth. The rim of the pan is just about flush with the top grate. 

I'm hesitant to hang the pan b/c of the extra weight.  The top grate is already beginning to warp from the heat and the weight of the bricks.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 07:14:47 AM by Tranman »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 01:24:20 AM »
Here's the firebrick hearth in place.  I decided to move it towards the front to improve airflow in the back and since the front won't likely be browing anyways.

First bake in the new set up will be in a couple of days.  I'll post the results either way.

scott123

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 01:29:34 AM »
Don't forget, aluminum melts around 1100, and you've got it in a position where it's going to get HOT. If it does melt, it could end up clogging your burner. If it melted and was unattended...

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 01:37:29 AM »
Are you referring to the high density foil?  I only lined the inside after reading about it in the LBE thread.  I've notice that the foil in the bottom half of the grill is disintigrating only after 2 firings  Once it burns through I won't be replacing it.  The top foil is intact.   The plate in the dome has been through 1 hi temp firing and has held up ok. 

I plan on taking this to about 700F hearth temp max.  Any higher than that and the bottom may burn quicker than the rim can brown.  But with the new set up, It may be a chore to get it there.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 01:39:04 AM by Tranman »

scott123

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 01:42:27 AM »
No, foil seems pretty common in these types of setups. I'm referring to the T Fal.

brayshaw

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 04:29:14 AM »
Tran, that is an amazing little oven you have made there, can't wait to see the pictures of the pizzas!

Paul

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 06:14:52 AM »
No, foil seems pretty common in these types of setups. I'm referring to the T Fal.

hmmm, yikes....I have a SS pan as well but the handle won't be easy to take off.  I'd have to cut it off.  I think I may just take this one for a test drive and hope for the best.  It is sitting on the round firebrick piece so hopefully that will take the brunt of the heat. 

Paul, me too.  I hope it works.  :-\

brayshaw

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 06:21:14 AM »
Tran, your wife must love you...first you break her table and then you 'adjust' the pots and pans!  :-D
I think a nice big bunch of flowers will be needed very soon! haha

Paul

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 07:07:37 AM »
Tran, your wife must love you...first you break her table and then you 'adjust' the pots and pans!  :-D
I think a nice big bunch of flowers will be needed very soon! haha

Paul

You're a smart man, I do need to do that  :D  She just bought me a set of Rachel Ray pots and pans not long ago, so this old one can be sacrificed.  I at least told her about it beforehand instead of just taking it.   I was going to visit a Thrift store to buy a cheap used one but didn't have time so decided to look around the house. 

Paul looking forward to seeing more of your videos. 

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »
that non-stick coating on the pan is going to bubble and flake in that high heat. Hope it doesn't get carried by convection onto any of the pies.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 09:44:10 AM »
Ron I was just thinking that.  I'm glad you mentioned it.  I was planning on taking a blowtorch to it or fire it by itself to see if I can remove that and if the pan will take the heat and not melt creating a big mess. 

As is the bottom HD aluminum foil is already flaking.  I wonder if I shouldn't just remove it?  I may have developed a little dementia/alzheimers by now from the foil and fumes but if so how can one really tell?  ???

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 09:46:13 AM »
I'd remove it. I personally wouldn't let that thing anywhere near my food in that high heat.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 11:16:14 AM »
Tranman, I believe Ronzo is right.  I don't have time to research it but I believe teflon puts out a harmful-to-humans gas when burned and the gas point is under 800F, I believe.  I've got to run.  Will comment later.
Dave

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 11:47:58 AM »
Tranman, I believe Ronzo is right.  I don't have time to research it but I believe teflon puts out a harmful-to-humans gas when burned and the gas point is under 800F, I believe.  I've got to run.  Will comment later.
Dave

I'll be sure to burn it all off and go over with a metal scouring pad to make sure it's all gone before I bake with it.   I'll also wear a protective breathing mask so I don't breathe in any of the fumes.  Unless it's somehow baked into the metal, I can always go with a different non teflon pan. 

Update:  I did a quick google search on teflon and it does emit toxic fumes if burned at high temps 700+.  I'm not even sure I want to try to burn it off as I don't want a chance to breathe any of the fumes myself.  What if I don't get it all off?
It may look like it's off but what if there are some microscopic tracings of it. 

It's better to be safe than sorry, so I will try to find another pan that is non teflon coated.  Would be nice to find a SS pan but most of those also have SS handles welded on so I may have to do some cutting. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 12:21:56 PM by Tranman »

brayshaw

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 12:22:31 PM »
Be safe and go with a different pan mate.

Paul

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 01:15:59 PM »
Tranman,

if you are looking for a pan that will stand up to the heat, buy an old rusted out cast iron one off craigslist or at a swap meet or something.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 01:53:26 PM »
Excellent suggestion Ron. Thanks for raising the red flag. 

scott123

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 04:06:53 PM »
Coarse sandpaper will remove teflon from aluminum with very little effort.

pizzapan