Updates to Weber Modifications
Once again, my pizza was cooked even better this time! Though, i would like to report the following:
-I noticed that i wasn't an exact "pro" at turning my pizza every so while. Due to the nature of the heat vent mod, all the hot
air comes from the back and especially if you don't turn it every so while, it burns the crust like no other!
-I know this sounds like rocket science, but the slower you heat your MBE, the less overall propane that will be used. I noticed my
diffuser glowed bright orange (as the diffuser itself only absorbs and releases heat so fast) and that tended to also to warp the coal grates
-Even at around 550 ish, i think my crust could be a bit more crispy (glutenboy NY style). As i have a 16 inch round cordierite x 5/8 shelf,
i think the stone doesn't have enough stored energy/gas to make it crispier. As the stone is separated with an upside down Pizza Pan
(which acts as an "air buffer" (which is only 1/60 as conductive as cordierite) ), even with the 4 minute bake time, the burner doesn't
really effect the bottom stone in any ways. Perhaps if i increased the thickness or temperature of the stone itself, it might be a bit crispier.
From my constant failtures, i Noticed the following:
-Once again, sounding like rocket science, if you use a diffuser on your burner and use a solid cordierite stone on your grill, there is no need to
for Metal supports as A) the burners are not directly charring and warping the metal grill anymore and B) A solid cordierite stone distributes
the weight on the grill.
-As i said in my last post, If you want the conductivity of cordierite with the ability to slowly absorb heat like quarry tiles or fibrament, all you need
is a lower conductive "heat buffer" below it. Especially when using a heat vent mod, you want to make sure the heat doesn't escape under the stone
itself. So what i did was place my stone on top of an upside down pizza pan.
-In order to the solve the issue of inconsistent charring on the cornicone, i decided to use a "turntable mod." As recommended in other threads, making
a turntable is as easy as attaching a 1/4 x 2 inch stainless steel bolt in combination with a bunch of washers and 1 nut. Ideally, you will have drilled a hole
in the center of the stone and pizza pan and it rotates correctly. Additionally, in order to reduce the amount of times i actually open up the grill (which i think
slows down the cooking of the top), my vent is actually 2 inches x 8 inches (which i did by mistake back then) and it allows me to use a pair of chopsticks
(you can use tongs also). The combination of the heat vent in addition to creating a turntable makes the back like a "radiant heater" (as i remember from 2stone discussions, the back
of the grill is about 100 degree hotter than the front of the grill.) More pictures about how to make this in the future.
Since i place 12 inch pizzas on 16 inch stone, as opposed to placing the pizza in the center, it was interesting to stagger the pizza near the edge as opposed to being placed
directly on the center. It will definitely creates zones of crunchiness and zones of softness on the pizza.
Perhaps this build is becoming too much like the 2stone? Than again, at this point the price difference, after buying all pizza equipment and experimenting with
a good design, comes to about a $200 for buying all the equipment. As for considering an infrared propane burner in the future, which would definitely be overkill.
But if anybody wants to collaborate on designing a commercial style 30 inch "UFO-BE" that utilizes an infrared burn to good effect, i'm game!
The following i did to failure:
-Lava Rocks, more likely than not, crowded my stone and made it difficult to put my pizza on my 16 inch stone.
-Put sand below the stone itself. As the intention of the sand was to slow down heat transfer, it slowed it down wayyy too much.
I decide to put no sand below the stone as i definitely changed the way how my stone moves with a turntable mod.
-As i said last time, put wayy too much sand into the diffuser. I decided to use less sand this time.
Overall, the current state of mods i have on my MBE are: