Author Topic: need advice on cheese (% MF, % water)  (Read 910 times)

Offline CDNpielover

need advice on cheese (% MF, % water)
« on: May 22, 2010, 08:26:51 PM »
hi,

i live in canada and have been using Saputo and other brands of "Pizza Mozzarella" that I get at the supermarket.  They usually have 28% milk fat and 42% moisture.  However, the cheese never turns out as stringy and gooey as it does when I buy pizzas.  Can anyone tell me if the % water and MF is appropriate for pizza?  what exactly should I be looking for in the water and milk fat.  I generally make chicago-style thin or NYC-style pies.

Thanks!

scott123

Re: need advice on cheese (% MF, % water)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 08:49:40 PM »
As cheese melts, it goes from white, creamy and stringy (I've heard Neapolitans call it 'filante')  to bubbly and oily.  Taken further, it will start to brown.  The larger the piece of mozzarella, the longer it takes to melt/lose it's stringiness and reach the bubbly/browning stage.  So, if stringy is your thing, use bigger chunks of mozzarella as opposed to shredded.

Also, I just checked the private label/supermarket brand of mozzarella that I have in the fridge

30 g serving

5 g fat
1 g carb
7 g protein

The package I have happens to be part skim. I believe whole milk mozz clocks in at 7 g fat.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 09:15:21 PM by scott123 »

Offline CDNpielover

Re: need advice on cheese (% MF, % water)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 02:46:35 PM »
we ended up using the cheese described above in a Malnati's deep dish pie, and it was OK, however when reheated, it had a very "grainy" texture.  anyone know why it gets grainy like that?

pizzapan