Author Topic: Any ideas if this pizza oven would work?  (Read 28224 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Any ideas if this pizza oven would work?
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2010, 08:57:22 PM »
I tried another pizza this evening in the BBQ grill with firebricks.  I decided to go about letting the firebricks heat up differently.  I also set-up the BBQ grill differently with the firebricks, side bricks, back bricks and no bottom bricks.  I then could just let the top firebricks heat up first, before I would then place the bottom firebricks in, when the temperature of the top firebricks got hot enough.  I only decided to let the top firebricks go so high for this test.  The top firebricks were 536 degrees F and the steel pan under the firebricks temperature was 560 degrees F.  Then I placed the bottom firebricks in with long tongs.  I went inside to get thing ready to prepare the pizza.  I thought I should give the firebricks on the bottom one more quick check with the IR thermometer, before opening the dough. Well the BBQ grill ran out of propane.  At least I checked it before opening the dough.  I had to then move the one end of the BBQ grill with all the firebricks in.  It was hard to move it with those firebricks inside.  At least I had another full tank of propane.  Until I fiddled around changing the tank and opening the BBQ grill to light it again, (there were problems lighting it), the top temperature of the firebricks in the steel pan had fallen to 400 degrees F.  Not to be deterred, I was still going to try this set-up, even if I didn’t get decent results or they might be inconclusive.  I then let BBQ grill heat-up for about another 10 minutes.  What I found interesting was the top firebricks had then gone up to 446 degrees F and the bottom was only 350 degrees F.  I waited about another 10 minutes, then I opened the dough ball and dressed the pizza.  After I put the pizza in the BBQ oven set-up, I was gladly surprised that by watching this pizza, the rim was getting brown against the back firebricks. I measured the temperature of the back wall of firebricks and it had a higher temperature than the top and side firebricks.  I saw how nice and brown the pizza got from touching those firebricks.  I rotated the pie different times against the back firebricks and it really seemed to help, to get the rim browned.  I was satisfied with this pie and the way it baked. Some experiments seem to work out better than expected, even with problems.

The dough ball was one I had save since the last time, when I tried to make a pizza in the BBQ oven set-up.  I wanted to see if the dough ball that was frozen for two weeks, would perform well. It weighted 270 grams and the pie was 9".

The pizza was dressed with 6 in 1 sauce (which Steve gave me a small can), Foremost blend of cheeses, first three grape tomatoes I got to pick from my garden (that were then mixed with sauteed garlic in olive oil and some fresh Greek oregano, also picked from the garden) I topped the pie with some dark opal basil and regular basil, both from my garden.

Norma
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 06:58:33 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2010, 08:58:49 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2010, 09:00:13 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2010, 09:01:32 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2010, 09:02:21 PM »
end of pictures

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2010, 10:08:36 PM »
Nice job Norma.  So this was done completely on the grill?  What was the total bake time. 

Things I like about the looks of the pie.  Crumb looks great.  nice and airy.  The spring on the rim looks good as well and coincide with the crumb.  That tells me you have some decent heat coming from the top.    The dark spots on the rim is promising as it gives that nice crunch. 

Nice job Norma.  Keep  it up. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2010, 10:19:24 PM »
Nice job Norma.  So this was done completely on the grill?  What was the total bake time. 

Things I like about the looks of the pie.  Crumb looks great.  nice and airy.  The spring on the rim looks good as well and coincide with the crumb.  That tells me you have some decent heat coming from the top.    The dark spots on the rim is promising as it gives that nice crunch. 

Nice job Norma.  Keep  it up. 

Jackie Tran,

I forgot to tell you before, I really like you new name.  ;D  Thanks for saying it was a nice job.  Yes, this pie was made completely on the grill.  I only had one row of firebricks on the bottom and the pie hit the back firebricks, (I didn't try to do that, but found out that is how my pie browned so good on the rim)  I had heated the top up first, then put the firebricks in the bottom, then the propane gas ran out.  :o  There was decent heat in the firebricks at the back. It measured at 650 degrees F at one point.  I was too excited about seeing how the pie was browning around the edges and didn't time the pie, but I think it was baked in less than 4 mintues  I want to try this experiment again, to see if I can get the same results.  You know how it is, one time you get good results and the next time no good results.  ::)

I was also really surprised with the oven spring.

Norma
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 06:06:47 AM by norma427 »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
I want to try this experiment again, to see if I can get the same results.  You know how it is, one time you get good results and the next time no good results.  ::)

I was also really surprised with the oven spring.

Norma

Isn't that the truth!  I go through the same thing.  I guess that's a good thing as I don't know what I would do if I did haveit figured out.  It wouldn't be a challenge anymore i  guess. 

Yeah, I notice the same thing going from the home oven to the MBE.  When you can get some decent top heat, the oven spring is immense! 
Cheers, JT

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2010, 06:34:22 AM »
Jackie Tran,

Everything that goes into pizza making is a challenge, as you have seen and experimented with.  I was just trying to get more top heat so the rim would brown better.  I never thought about the back bricks helping to brown the rim, but I smelled something that had me thinking something was burning.  When I opened the lid, I was surprised to see the back getting so brown.  That led me to rotate the pie to try and get the whole rim evenly browned.  It wasn’t evenly browned, but close.  The last time in the set-up I had two rows of firebricks on the bottom position, so the rim wasn’t close to the back firebricks.

I love the challenge also, in trying new ideas and seeing what happens.  I usually go though experiments multiple times to see what happens and to see if I can figure out why it happened. 

I enjoy watching all your experiments and any other members that are doing experiments.  That is how we all learn.  Pizza making is all about the magical and mystery elements, that are involved in trying whenever works out. 

Steve purchased some 00 flour for me and in the next experiment I might try that to see what the results would be.  Maybe at some point I will get one of my starters going.

Norma.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2010, 07:50:11 AM »
Two more pictures, after the slices cooled down.

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2010, 08:38:28 AM »
Norma this is why I had mentioned the low ceiling and the back rotisserie burner before.

With the low ceiling it does several things.  It decreases the amount of air to heat over the pie and concentrates the heat. This proximity as you've discovered will help cook and even put brown spots on the cheese.  More importantly it will brown the top of the cornicione.

The downside is that it's hard to load a pie into the desire position with a 2" ceiling.

I you have a rear burner you won't need to get it that close to the backwall. You'll get more predictable and consistent browning of the rim.

Good luck to you Norma. 

Can you post again your % of yeast or preferment and ferment times and temps. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thx

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2010, 08:59:51 AM »
Jackie Tran,

I can now see how a rotisserie rear burner would really help bake a pie in the BBQ grill. I am just too cheap to go out and buy something, until I have exhausted all possibilities I can, to get something to work. Even the idea you gave me for using the steel pan was excellent.  It does seem to work.  I wouldn’t have tried it, without your advise. My ceiling is higher than 2". 

This is the formula I used for the pizza that was baked last evening.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg90226.html#msg90226   

The dough I used from this formula was frozen for 2 weeks and then defrosted in the microwave.  If you want to try out this formula, it will take part of one day for the poolish, 3 days cold ferment of the poolish, final mix, then 1 day cold ferment of the dough ball.  I make a bigger batch for market and that is why I have left over dough balls sometimes.  If you want the formula for 5 dough balls, let me know and I will give you the link.  I let the dough warm-up for about 1 ˝ hrs. at room temperature, after defrosting. 

Thanks for the good luck,

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2010, 08:52:37 PM »
I decided to try a room fermented dough today for the BBQ grill firebrick set-up.  I wanted to try the flour Steve bought for me.  It was Farina “00" granora. flour.  I decided to also try out the cake yeast he brought me.  I only used the”00"  flour, cake yeast and all natural sea salt in this formula.

Flour (100%):                85.97 g  |  3.03 oz | 0.19 lbs
Water (63%):                54.16 g  |  1.91 oz | 0.12 lbs 
CY (1.25%):                  1.07 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs |
Salt (1.5%):                  1.29 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.27 tsp | 0.09 tbsp
Total (165.75%):       142.5 g | 5.03 oz | 0.31 lbs | TF = 0.1

I mixed the dough this morning and let it sit on the kitchen table until this evening.  I let the firebricks heat up the same way I did the last time. Steel pan with firebricks, heated first, load bottom firebricks later.

That dough didn’t bake well.  The taste was good, and the crust was tender to eat, but no grill spring.

I decided since the grill was on to take a frozen dough out of the freezer, time defrost and let the center partly frozen to see how the pie would bake up.

The rim baked and center baked up nice for with my regular dough.

First 3 pictures "00" flour, cake yeast, sea salt, and room fermented.  Rest of pictures regular dough.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2010, 08:54:14 PM »
regular dough

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2010, 08:55:23 PM »
regular dough

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2010, 08:56:11 PM »
end of pictures

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2010, 09:44:09 PM »
Norma your crumb is looking very airy and lofty like mine. Was the bake completely on the grill?  It's very nice looking. How did the rim taste?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2010, 10:27:36 PM »
Norma your crumb is looking very airy and lofty like mine. Was the bake completely on the grill?  It's very nice looking. How did the rim taste?

Jackie Tran,

Thanks for saying the pizza is nice looking.  :) The grill rim really did get high. It was baked completely on the grill.  The rim tasted great.  I think your whole pizza and rim in your last pie was more open though out the crust, than mine was today. You did a great job with that pie!  ;D I had wanted to try the “00" flour, but think I might have overfermented it.  Since you have overfermented your dough before, I will post the two pictures from the dough ball and after it was finished fermenting. See what you think.  It still had bubbles on the bottom of the container, but the top I am not to sure of.  When I went to open the pie with the “00" flour, it became very extensible and almost wanted to just almost fall apart.  I know the temperature in my BBQ grill set-up isn’t hot enough for this type of pie, but I just wanted to experiment.  I might add some KASL to the mix the next time and see what happens. 

1st picture below of after I made the dough for the 1st pie and 2nd picture of dough after room ferment of about 10 hours.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2010, 07:20:20 AM »
I thought I would post some of the other pictures of the pizza made with the “00" flour, real sea salt, and cake yeast, using the room fermented dough and also some of the other pictures of the regular preferment for the Lehmann frozen dough, I usually use for experiments on the BBQ set-up.

For the room fermented dough, which I think I overfermented, I used room temperature water.  The temperature of the water was 80 degrees F.  The room temperature while the dough was fermenting was the same for about 10 hours.  I am not experienced in using cake yeast and really don’t know if the cake yeast does something different to the dough or not, when using a room temperature ferment.  The cake yeast was first added to the water to dissolve, then the other ingredients were added with a fork and finally the dough was hand kneaded.

The grill spring with the frozen Lehmann dough was good.  I was interested in seeing if the dough that still had ice crystals in the middle would perform well when placed in the BBQ set-up.  In my opinion the dough did well. 

Norma
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 07:27:02 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2010, 07:24:24 AM »
More pictures of partially frozen preferment for Lehmann dough, grilling pictures and finished pizza pictures.  Where I measured, the grill spring in some places were between 2" to 2 1/2"

Norma