Author Topic: New mixer  (Read 5163 times)

brayshaw

New mixer
« on: June 07, 2010, 04:54:20 AM »
So I am just about to buy a new commercial mixer, here is the link to one that i am looking at: http://www.pizzadirect.co.uk/italian-dough-mixer-27kg-s27-p-632.html
it is a fixed bowl one. I have had a a price given to me for a very similar one but it has a removable bowl but the cost is 1230 inc tax.
Any advice on if its worth the extra cash? I will be using the mixer for commercial use in the near future.

Paul

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: New mixer
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 08:53:04 AM »
That's a pretty big mixer in physical dimensions(27.2H x 16.92W x 28.7D) and capacity. Have you considered this mixer http://www.tmbbaking.com/sp5.html, its considerably smaller and Matt can tell you it works pretty good. If you have the room for it in your home I would say go for it.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:02:10 AM »
wow,  the prices on mixers on that site look to be very good.  Almost too good.  Any idea about the quality of those machines,  and or parts availibility in case they break?  -marc

brayshaw

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:15:12 AM »
Thanks guys,
This looks like the mixer I am going to buy today: https://www.buycatering.com/pizza-equipment/dough-mixers/imperial-a32-spiral-dough-mixer-c321d127397.html  and they are going to price match it so I get it for 649 plus tax.
Here is the oven I am also buying today and they are price matching that too for 899 plus tax:
https://www.buycatering.com/pizza-equipment/pizza-ovens/imperial-4-4-twin-deck-electric-pizza-oven-c325d167.html
 ;D ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 09:53:05 AM »
Thanks guys,
This looks like the mixer I am going to buy today: https://www.buycatering.com/pizza-equipment/dough-mixers/imperial-a32-spiral-dough-mixer-c321d127397.html  and they are going to price match it so I get it for 649 plus tax.
Here is the oven I am also buying today and they are price matching that too for 899 plus tax:
https://www.buycatering.com/pizza-equipment/pizza-ovens/imperial-4-4-twin-deck-electric-pizza-oven-c325d167.html
 ;D ;D

Paul,

Best of luck to you in using your new equipment.  :)  Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

scott123

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 10:24:42 AM »
 ;D ;D

Refractory brick bases.

Before you buy it, I'm hoping you've seen literature that gives you more detail than this. What's the material? How thick is it? How many slabs?

Peak operating temp is also important.

What's your projected peak output per hour?  Even if it's got thick cordierite slabs, it still has to have enough power to feed those slabs during your busiest times or the temps will drop.  9.6 KW might be enough or it might not.  Your best bet is to talk to someone who's using/used this oven in a commercial setting.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:30:56 AM by scott123 »

brayshaw

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:53:24 AM »
Thanks for that Scott, I will find out.
My friend owns a deli a few hours north of where I live and he churns out alot of pizzas and flavoured flatbreads with this very oven (he recommended it to me) he said he runs the oven at 360degrees C and it runs for 5 hours between 11am and 4pm.

Paul

brayshaw

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 05:45:39 PM »
I got my mixer today, here it is in my home kitchen (wife isn't pleased!  8) ) haha
It weighs a ton, 102kg! I will be making some dough tomorrow and I will try and make a video of the process too. I think it can handle 27kg of dough! I don't think my wife and 20month old son can eat that much pizza...

Thanks for all your help on this topic and every other post I make. This is the best forum ever!

Paul

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 05:14:05 PM »
This item seems really quite cheap compared to anything you can get in the USA

http://www.pizzadirect.co.uk/italian-dough-mixer-27kg-s27-p-632.html

How much is VAT?

That is 649# , under $1000 USD for a mixer that does 25 KG (55 Pounds) of dough.  That'd be about 35# of flour?

Patrick

brayshaw

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 06:42:16 PM »
Hey buddy, VAT is 17.5% of the pre-tax total.
Am over the moon with my new mixer! :-)

Paul

brayshaw

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 09:31:57 AM »
Ok, so last night I made a huge batch of dough in my new mixer and wow! uniformly mixed throughout and was so smooth compared to my old dough ;D ;D

Please don't laugh at my stupid face or voice! lol. I can't believe I sound like that!
My wife cut me off mid-sentence too (nothing new there then....) haha
Please feel free to comment, good or bad as I am always trying to improve all aspects of my pizza making.

Part 1 

Part 2

Thanks for all the help you have all given me,

Paul

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 10:11:51 AM »
Sweet Paul!  Mixer is too cool and your dough looks fantastic.  Now you can just use your kitchen aid for what it was designed for.  Making cookies or to anchor your boat.  Well done.  Anxious to hear how the dough baked up.

brayshaw

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 10:18:30 AM »
Haha!! thanks for the compliment about the dough mate.

Paul

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 10:23:41 AM »
Paul,

I really enjoyed watching the videos with your new mixer.  The dough really looks nice.  :)  I enjoyed your accent, also.

Norma
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:23:37 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

brayshaw

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 10:26:05 AM »
Thanks Norma, any advice would be more than welcomed from you guys.

Paul

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 11:20:29 AM »
Paul I LOVED the accent, but unfortunately I couldn't understand a d@mn thing you said so I can't give you pointers.    :o  Just kidding.  Looks great.  Not sure you can go wrong with Tom's instructions or add to that though.   :P

I'm curious to know if it really makes a difference to add ingredients in the specific order that he gives vs my method of adding yeast, salt, & oil to the water first, followed by the 80% of the flour before autolysing and then the rest of the flour in slowly.

Also the instructions state to make sure to get the dough into the fridge within 20 min.   ???  What's the reason for that?  anyone?  Peter?

Looking forward to the bake.  What temp are you baking at and how long do you plan to cold ferment for?
Also i couldn't see the yeast amount.  what % and what type are you using Paul.  Thx.

brayshaw

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 11:25:31 AM »
Cheers Tranman, I think I have a very mild accent! lol
I am curious to know that too, i'm sure Peter will know more than us on the matter.
I am baking them tonight in my normal home oven, I preheat the stone for an hour on 220-240C then I transfer the stone under a screaming hot grill (broiler) for 5 mins, then the stone goes back in the oven at the pizza goes on for 5-7 mins then back under the grill for a moment to crisp the top up.

24hour cold nap too mate.

Paul

Edit* I use .50% idy
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:27:43 PM by brayshaw »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 12:33:10 PM »
Paul,

Very nice job, and congratulations on your new mixer.

I see from Tom Lehman's PMQTT post at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9051#p61811 that he too is a believer in the KISS method. That is not surprising because his primary professional emphasis is in helping independent pizza operators. They are not usually the artisan type pizza operators who use autolyse or similar rest periods and other techniques that come out of the realm of bread making. I am pretty certain that the 20 minute period that Tom mentions in the above post is the time that it will usually take a pizza operator to take a large dough batch out of the mixer and divide into individual weighed dough balls. If that time is extended too much, the dough will start to ferment. If there is too much fermentation as a result, that can foreshorten the window of usability of the dough balls. In extreme cases, the dough balls can "blow". So, his advocacy is to get the dough balls formed and into the cooler as fast as possible. If Tom knew that someone would be making several hundred dough balls at one mixing, I am sure that he would suggest investing in a dough divider/rounder. The 20 minutes presupposes that the workers are doing the dough division, weighing and shaping by hand.

I also see that Tom mentions a finished dough temperature in the 80-85 degrees F range. That is appropriate for a commercial cooler. I assume that you will be using your standard home refrigerator. Most standard home refrigerators run several degrees warmer than  commercial coolers. So, I would shoot for a finished dough temperature in the 75-80 degrees F range. From your second video, it looks like you hit that target.

I see also that you did not use any oil in your dough. The New York style pizzas that do not use oil are typically the "elite" NY style pizzas that are baked in very high temperature ovens, such as coal-field ovens. The New York style pizzas that as sold as "street" pizzas or by the slice usually contain some oil. The introduction of oil into NY dough occurred shortly after commercial deck ovens were invented and introduced commercially for baking pizzas (for a bit of history on this, see Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1053.MSG9384/topicseen.HTML#MSG9384). In your case, given the operating temperature range you mentioned, you might try both styles in your new oven, even if only to determine the limitations of your oven, if any.

The sequencing of ingredients is a big deal to Tom Lehmann. He observes and recommends that operators abide by proper handling of all ingredients, especially yeast (mainly the rehydration and water temperature aspects) and when the oil should be introduced into the dough mixing process. If he tolerated a more casual or lackadasical approach, or one which otherwise disobeys sound practices, no doubt operators would be knocking on his door at all hours of the day for help in fixing the problems that inevitably arise. He believes in a more prophylactic approach to pizza making and limiting the amount of time that he can devote to problems of pizza operators.

With respect to when the oil should be introduced to the mixing of the dough, Tom believes that adding the oil too early interferes with the hydration of the flour. I have found that if I am using a lot of oil, for example, more than 3-4%, it is easier if I add the oil early in the process. That is with my standard home KitchenAid stand mixer with a C-hook. Member scott r, who works with commercial mixers, says that he has found that adding the oil up front works very well. He simply disagrees with Tom on this point.

Tom also mentions the use of vital wheat gluten (VWG) in his PMQTT post. It does not appear that you will need to supplement your flour with VWG but if that need arises at some point, I would suggest that you use the Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://tools.foods.com/ to determine how much VWG you will need to achieve a targeted protein content. According to member November, who devised that tool, it is technically more accurate than the general method that Tom specified in his post, and it also can be used with all brands of VWG, even those that you are likely to have in the UK. Moreover, if you use the Lehman dough calculating tool and allocate a portion of the formula flour to VWG, you will not have to adjust the hydration. It remains the same. If you need a simple example of how this is done, let me know.

I look forward to your next videos.

Peter

Offline Matthew

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 02:14:54 PM »
Great job buddy!

Matt

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 03:42:07 PM »
Mate! Great mixer, congrats. As to your voice my boss lives in Brisbane, we Skype all the time, I understood ya mate...no worries.

Advice I would give first and foremost is ball it all, cold ferment it all at once, take balls not to be used after a day or 2, saran wrap, foil and freeze them individually. Don't ever 'bin' this much good pizza dough again! (Yes I even know terms like ''bin it") If you want to make a big batch and have its window of usability extended to 4 days, so you can do some in a day or two and some later, simply add 2% sugar.

I like oil too in my Lehmann sometimes, garlic infused is really cool, so try it with next time and see how you prefer it. If I want dryer crispy rim then no oil, for a softer rim I add it in. Anxious to see and hear about first pies out!

That said my advice is free, just mix me up 40 pounds of chocolate chip cookie dough, send to...

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 03:44:42 PM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1