Author Topic: Dough Rise/Rest Time?  (Read 1258 times)

Offline RobDude

Dough Rise/Rest Time?
« on: May 15, 2010, 03:46:13 PM »
The instructions I've been following say to leave the dough in the fridge for 24 hours.  I don't know much about bread - but could someone explain that to me?

I thought that being in the fridge would stop or slow the yeast from working - could I just leave the dough on the counter for less time and get the same/similar results?

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
Re: Dough Rise/Rest Time?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 03:59:43 PM »
The instructions I've been following say to leave the dough in the fridge for 24 hours.  I don't know much about bread - but could someone explain that to me?

I thought that being in the fridge would stop or slow the yeast from working - could I just leave the dough on the counter for less time and get the same/similar results?

Yes, the yeast will slow down its activity in the fridge, allowing more complex flavors to develop in the dough from a cold fermentation.
It's all personal preference.
You can certainly make pizza with a one-day dough.
There's a number of variables in the ingredients you use that could affect flavor and texture.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 04:16:25 PM »

RobDude,

Yes. That is what people did before refrigeration was invented. Yeast, enzymes and bacteria actually perform better at room temperatures. But you are at the mercy of variations in room temperatures that can have unpredictable effects on the final results, including when the dough will be ready to be used. To achieve consistent, uniform results reliably, you would need to find a way of controlling the fermentation temperatures. Yeast is slowed down by cold fermentation but the enzymes and bacteria are still able to perform their assigned duties, albeit at a reduced rate. For you to do what you would like to do, you would have to reformulate your dough recipe to accommodate room temperature fermentation. Usually this entails drastically cutting back on the amount of yeast. The actual amount of yeast will depend on the window of usability you would like to achieve (hopefully while you are awake), which will be governed to a great degree by the finished dough temperature and room temperature during fermentation.

If you would like to learn more about this subject, I suggest that you read the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7225.0.html.

Peter

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 05:07:10 PM »
You can make good pizza with a couple of hours counter rise or by long rise in the fridge.

I would say play around some and see what you like.
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 03:11:30 PM »
I made two balls yesterday, the first rested for 12 hours, the second for 30 hours, the difference in the two is very noticeable, the longer rest tasted far superior and even had that slight squeak in the bite that you only get from Lou's ! :chef:

Offline RobDude

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 08:32:24 PM »
I made two balls yesterday, the first rested for 12 hours, the second for 30 hours, the difference in the two is very noticeable, the longer rest tasted far superior and even had that slight squeak in the bite that you only get from Lou's ! :chef:

I'd agree.

I did something similar this last weekend; one had only six hours of rest on the counter and the other hand nearly 48 hours in the fridge.

48 hours in the fridge was much better.  I mean, they were both good :)  But the fridge was better.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 09:12:44 PM »
I'd agree.

I did something similar this last weekend; one had only six hours of rest on the counter and the other hand nearly 48 hours in the fridge.

48 hours in the fridge was much better.  I mean, they were both good :)  But the fridge was better.

I don't think I could last 48 hours!! 

I'd have to make multiple batches!

pizzapan